Thread: Found these in town in Fairbanks

Default Found these in town in Fairbanks

So yesterday morning I was headed down the road and saw what I thought at first were sharp tailed grouse until I got close. They were there again this morning and I managed to get a photo with the cell. Turns out they are Chuckars. Strange part is that they right here in the middle of town in Fairbanks. From what i have read it is not unusual for people to see them around hatcheries or places to train your dogs down south, and there is a place that sells them for training in Delta but to my knowledge there isnt anyplace around here that sells them. I doubt that they flew in from Delta... Tomorrow I may have to get out the pellet gun...

Just curious to hear others thoughts on this. Anyone seen any others around here?

Chuckar.jpg

Yep, they are chukar. They were probably chicks this spring. Someone raised them and they escaped! You can mail order them, or get them from Alaska Feed in the spring. I have raised them in the past most recently more than a dozen last year (came from Alaska Feed). They are a tough hardy bird, which tastes great. I think I'm going to rise more next year (this year was too busy). They are easy keepers compared to the likes of pheasants.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

On a side note, I have seen turkeys and guinea fowl around town over the years! The weirdest thing though was seeing a pheasant fly across the road near Paxson. I was with a buddy, and we both looked at each other (both familiar with pheasants) in disbelief.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Still think it's weird seeing a hen turkey by the back gate of Wainwright. But Hoyt is right, they are propably escapees from someone's attempt at raising birds in town.

Chris

Supposedly There are Pheasants off Keystone road Soldotna, but since Fish and Game do not recognize them, you can shoot them any time of the year and no limit, I have still to see them, Lots of bears in the area.

Good eats if you get your pellet gun out. Fun birds to shoot to.