Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this bull look like he's 50"+ ?

Default Does this bull look like he's 50"+ ?

Trying to work on measuring moose antlers in the field. Somebody want to weigh in on his width? It looks pretty close to me. That one point on the right sticks out a few extra inches. Both pictures are the same bull.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm saying mid 50's from what I can see - I would wait for a bit better look though if time permitted ....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I would agree. My best guess is 55-56". That is if the skull plate is 8" between the antler pedicles. If the skull is 9 or 10 than he might be bigger. But I understand your hesitation with only 2 brow tines on each side. Probably wise to watch him for awhile.

not a shooter for me..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I'd play that game if...
    - I was shooting a rifle I didn't care about;
    - had lots of spare money in the bank;
    - liked to see my name in the paper;
    - liked butchering moose just for the fun of it.

I'd be awfullllly tempted to pull the trigger on that one. I say that I'll never do so if I'm not absolutely sure, but two things make me thing 50+ on that one. First, his palms are fairly flattened out instead of in a V shape, thus giving him a few more inches. Additionally, that point sticking out on the right side (his left) adds quite a bit. I'd like to see a zoomed in picture of that point, but it sure looks good to me. I'm not sure if I'd be bringing him home, but I sure would be taking a very close look.

Its OK Sayak 'cause where I hunt mooses in Canada any bull is legal - so as soon as he marches S/E a thousand miles or so he's fair game!
    Now if I gotta come up there to pop a cap in his keester than I am wait'n fer a better view!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I would have to pass.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    ...where I hunt mooses in Canada any bull is legal ...
    Ah, for the good ol' days.

Unless a bull is very very conspicuously carrying the right number of brow tines or looks WAAAAAY over 50" I will not be pulling the trigger. I must admit, they have me scared of making a wrong call.

Shooter------52" to 54".

Always a tough call, but I'd say he's mid 50s.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

If I had a any bull permit i would shoot it. Maybe a 50 inch but not me.

He would be a shooter for me. He has too much width and mass to be in the 40's.

My view on judging animals is that you should follow your first instincts. If your first glance tells you that the animal is big, then it probably is. If you're trying to convince yourself that the animal is legal, you probably shouldn't take the shot.

I wouldn't shoot the bull if the quality of the picture is the only view I had but through a good set of binos I bet that moose is over 50".

He's a shooter. Mind giving me the coordinates and I'll let you measure him?

shooter in my book

Right at 50, maybe 52 is my guess, too close for me to shoot without 3 or 4 browtines
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Pass on that one. Go home wondering if it was or it wasn't.

I'd shoot him. Thinking 53-54".

He is around 54 inches. He has average palms and they flatten out nicely. Pretty whimpy brows. I dont usually like to using the 50 inch rule for legality, I prefer to see the legal brow tines. But, I think the 50 in mark is fairly safe on this one. I have no problem passing on "line cutter" bulls as they will only grow bigger with time and would recommend this to practice to everyone, particularly with limited experience judging game. I would consider this bull "SEED" for next year, or two. I have had "ground shrinkage" before where a bull was 58 instead of 62, but was brow legal too. Four inches sounds like a lot but antler mass can play tricks on you!!! I think this has happened to anyone who has hunted for any amount of time. Many things can affect your judgement....especially field conditions, and excitement. This might be a legal bull, it would look huge to anyone who has hunted whitetails their whole life and came to AK hunt moose for the first time, but to an experienced moose hunter let this one walk, grow, and make more moose for another year or two.
    Pick A Spot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast