Thread: Wow what a load and setup!!

Default Wow what a load and setup!!

I went out this morning March 21st and started shooting to develop a 200gr load for my Kimber 8400 Montana 30-06 for accuracy and velocity. My zero will be 200yds with my Boone & Crockett 3.5-10x40mm which will allow me graduated shots out to 500yds. The 200gr bullet will not have as much drift as a 165 or 180 gr bullet and the bullet I have chosen will perform well at 30-06 velocities up close or far away and has been proven to do so by hunting with it. Well to my pleasant surprise and delight not only did I get the velocity I wanted which the round through the chronograph from low extreme to highest was 2663-2681 and the accuracy was just short of phenomenal. When it was time to sight it in at 200yds I fired a group of three. The load is 54gr of IMR4350, Winchester brass, Fed. 210 primer, pushing a Sierra 200gr Game King SBT and the O.A.L. was 3.265". The first group measured 1 1/2 inches and was two clicks to the left. But I knew I could get the group tighter because I knew I had pulled the second round when firing this first group and the first and third rounds just touched each other. So moved two clicks to the right and I took my time and fired every three minutes (the temp. was 71degrees and the humidity was 90) and what a group and round or should I say what a rifle and scope. Really what a combination of rifle, scope, and handload. I shot a .392 inch group of three. That's right and they were all touching. Fired again and shot a .623" group. I have decided to use this round on deer and anything above that I hunt unless I get a chance to hunt a brown bear. Well needless to say I am excited about my rifle, scope and round. What an all a round cartridge, rifle, scope and handload. This was a lot of fun today and days like this don't always happen, in fact handloading usually takes a lot of work, but not today, it was as close to prefect as a shooting day can get. I now have a load for my combine elk and black bear hunt for this coming fall. Just beartooth

I shot a .392 inch group of three. That's right and they were all touching. Fired again and shot a .623" group.
    You said that your were sighting in for 200 yards. Are the above group sizes the impacts at 100 yards or 200 ???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    You said that your were sighting in for 200 yards. Are the above group sizes the impacts at 100 yards or 200 ???
    The sight in is at 200 yds so I can zero the B&C scope for the rest of the graduated marks.

Float Pilot, the impacts were at 200 yds. I am still excited about this and so was my friend Charlie Buckley who was shooting next to me at the time. just beartooth

Question deleted...beartooth answered in a follow up before I got this posted.

Well if those are the groups at 200 yards....

All I can say is "HOLY S&%*!!! "
    That is a good set up...

Is that a standard weight barrel or a light barrel??
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

light weight

Good groups. Gotta love it when things work out that way! How's that GameKing hold up on bigger critters? I've heard they don't hold together too well, but have no personal experience with 'em on game. I have found the Sierras to generally be pretty accurate on paper though.

Thumbs up Load

Good load that 54gr of IMR 4350 in the 30-06.........another good load is the 190gr Hornady BTSP w/55 grs IMR 4350. I like the 190gr BTSP Hornady bullet alittle better for large game.
    Alaska

All I can give witness for is the Game King 200gr has held up and at the same time past through most of the following. 5 white tail deer past through, 1 mule deer past through, elk held together but did not pass through, black bear past through, hog two of them over 300 one charging weighing 382 past through. I don't believed that I have tried it on anything else can't remember if I did. bear tooth

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    Good groups. Gotta love it when things work out that way! How's that GameKing hold up on bigger critters? I've heard they don't hold together too well, but have no personal experience with 'em on game. I have found the Sierras to generally be pretty accurate on paper though.
    I've been checking this out for a while now. It seems that the heavier gamekings (200gr and up) have heavier jackets and are tougher than thier lighter siblings. For example the 220gr 8mm bullet was designed for the 8mm mag velocities. I talked with sierra about this. I have also talked with many guys on the net who shoot the 225's in 338's etc.

I have tried the sierra bullets in 308win-300ultra mag. They are a gret match for the 308 and I feel they are good for the 06' class velocities which are pretty close to their ceilng speed. the tests in the ultra were not so pretty.

Thumbs up

Yes I believe you are right about that because that is how it has worked out for me in using them. I am going to try to discipline myself this coming year and use this round and setup for everything I hunt from deer and up, just so I can see what the results on game will be. This will be tough since I own so many rifles in different cartridges and cal. I was so excited about this load that I kept 9 rounds for hunting and loaded some more to use this morning. Well, I shot four more groups of three at 200 yds and the Luepold held zero and the rifle and round were still in the ball park. From group one to four here were the results, .978, 1.023, .691, .752 this is a fine round and rifle, scope setup. It will be fun to make long shots at white tail deer on a gas line I hunt and also on elk and black bear when I hunt out west. It will also be fun to see what this load does up close in a Mississippi swamp I will hunt this fall. just beartooth

can't wait for hunting season just beartooth
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS