Thread: Early-Mid October Fishing

Default Early-Mid October Fishing

Hey Folks,

Been lurking on the forums here for a while, finally posting because my searches haven't turned up much.

I'll be flying into ANC on the 7th of October and I'll be around until the night of the 11th. I know this isn't prime visiting (or, for that matter, prime fishing time) but it's how things worked out. I'm a novice fisherman and I have a decent spinning rod and reel that I'll be bringing along with me. I have a 21' RV I'll be crusing in, so that will limit me as to the areas I can access, but other than that I have no plans or particular target, fish-wise ,but from what I've seen, it sounds like silvers and rainbow/steelhead are my best bets.

I've spent a little time in Soldotna and Seward and would be happy to head back down that direction, maybe heading over to Kenai and Homer this time. I'd also be open to other areas within 6-8 hours of Anchorage if anyone has better suggestions. I'm quite certain I'll find whatever else else I'm looking for (hiking, wildlife) along with plenty of rain/snow wherever I go, so I'm really focused on where I can find the best fishing! I would like to be able to take a few home, as well.

On a side note, another thing I've had trouble finding is how hard it will be for me to park overnight in an RV. I've seen many campgrounds online but most close in September. I don't need a hookup, just a place to park. I see some State Parks have fist-come-fist-serve sites which is what I'll probably do, but any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is a subject that has been visited before -- I searched but didn't have much like finding any other threads about what and where to fish in October.

South would be my choice. The Upper Kenai should still be producing decent trout fishing, the Anchor should be heating up for steelhead (I believe, haven't fished it in years, someone who knows better will likely chime in).

RV parking shouldn't be a problem, while many of the campgrounds are closed, most leave some site access open (quartz creek, russian river, cooper creek, to name a few).

If it is within your budget, give Troutfitters or Mystic Waters in Cooper Landing a call, a half or full day with either of those outfits would be a wise investment in regards to showing you what you'll need to know for the remainder of your stay.

Good luck.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I love my Big Kings May-July, Love to fill the freezers with reds in July. Halibut is a blast during the summer.

But I think as long as you aren't meat fishing, October is one of the VERY BEST times to fish Alaska. I'd consider time up North on the Parks highway streams for bows and grayling, and Upper Kenai/Russian for Bows and Dollies.

Salmon will be harder to consistently target and frankly you are better off buying salmon at this time of year if you need some to take back.

Book a trip for middle river Kenai with the guys Hippie said, and then work your way down to homer to fish Steelhead. Upper river you can find chrome coho in Oct as well. Oct. is a great time to fish.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

The biggest thing is flexibility this time of year (October). Snow could be on the ground, or it could snow at any moment, and the rivers are ready to lock up with ice. If the water is still flowing, there is still some excellent trout and grayling fishing on the Parks Highway, at any of the stream mouths. Just have fun, its mostly hook and release and all single hook, no bait. The Kenai Pen streams freeze much later, so there isn't any problem fishing early October. Were it me, I'd be steelheading for a week down near Homer... that's me, though.

Thanks for all the responses! I think I'm going to call Troutfitters for a half day and head south from there.

Feel free to keep any other suggestions rolling in. I'm sure someone else will happen upon this thread looking for some October information like I did!

-Brian

IMG_2010.JPGIMG_1986.JPGOctober fishing on the Alexander. Pike or no Pike by God!

Default Quick trip...

First, stop at Sportsmans Wharehouse and pick up some tackle... spinners, spoons, marabou jigs, and beads... food and beer at Safeway.Head south, fish some pull-outs along the way till dark. I'd try to book a Kenai trip (full day, for sure; half if you have to), fishing either the Upper for bows/cohos or the Middle for giant rainbows. Try to get some good beta on hike-in access so you can fish some spots the next day; like Frankenfish said, there are chrome cohos on the Upper (and elsewhere)at this time and well worth targeting them.Then on to Kasilof, Deep Ck, Anchor for steelhead...Enjoy your trip and happy fishing!