Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yamaha vs. polaris (not trying to start a spitting contest)

Default yamaha vs. polaris (not trying to start a spitting contest)

I'm just wondering why people like polaris so much when there is so much talk about how often they break. And i'm talking about 2002ish and newer atv utv's.

I'm a yamaha person and have put thousands of miles on them in the deep alaska outdoors and have had only one problem. My buddy had a stick hit his rear cv boot and the cv blew a few miles down the road.

I currently have a 2009 rhino 700 stock with itp mudlites and have spent a lotta time on my 2002 grizzly 660.

My rhino ran flawlessly this hunting season on a 10 hours in and 14 hours out trip and both my buddy and I drilled to large moose. So we were very loaded on the way out.

all input will be read maybe not understood but read for sure...lol

I've yet to run a Rhino, but 4 guys I know have switched to a Ranger. WaterGremlin being one of them.

Every rig is gonna have year ups and downs, just know what you want from it performance wise and find that balance.

Ranger pros-
    Higher ground clearance
    Hauling capacity
    3 seater
    Power to weight ratio is awesome. 800lbs in mine and I never felt held back.
    Ability to handle larger tires and not be too under powered.
    Roominess of the "cockpit"
    Higher mounted radiator- haven't needed to clean mine yet.
    Redesigned access to front diff for service
    Cons
    Bed squeaks like a mofo
    Front springs sag a bit too quickly.
    Already have new shocks- I blew out the rubber stops

Rhino pros cons
    Lower Cg can be a good thing, but clearance means getting stuck or high centering more
    I've seen several tie rod ends snap off at the head.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'm of the mindet that I don't buy anything that is a new model or drastic design change the first two years or so its on the market. Real world use is better at finding flaws that testing thats for sure. The rangers are having issue's with CV's just like the grizzlies did with cooling back in 2003 or with the power steering when it first came out.

I think alot of it comes down to people's first impression and what they learned to drive or ride on. I also see and hear comments like "1000 miles or 1500 miles and never had a problem" while I understand not everyone rides all the time but if you measure your machines ability to hit a thousand miles as its reliablity then you really don't ride that much. I put about 1200 miles on mine every 12 months and I have not had a problem but I don't trust it enough to go out without the ability to survive should the machine have a problem.

Yes I have a 2008 polaris with the 800 motor from a personal experience on stock polaris tires I was able to make a hillclimb during spring bear season when three yamaha's 660's two with mud lights and the other with vamps on it. The difference that day I attribute to weight I had a third more power that the yami's and a third more weight so I had the bite and they did not.

Empty and running in Eureka I get terrible mileage with two big cylinders drinking the fuel but fully loaded with a moose everyone gets terrible MPG. Going into Eureka and all the way to the "O" I would need refill on the way back almost at monument while my other two buddies with grizzlies can make close to the four corners. Fully loaded I can still make all the way back to the horse pasture and they 660's need to refill at the "O".

One last thought I also had about yamaha's is why do they need such aggressive tires when you buy them brand new? Maybe its just marketing because they look cool.

Rdrash- when you say you refuel, are you using the duel gauge as a reference? My experience is web you hit that last bar, there's still 3 gallons in the tank. Eureka rides are always gas hogs considering the hill climbing and very frequent creek/river crossings.

I'd estimate 75% of that ride is a low-range haul for me with camp loaded up and I never cross a river on hi range. There's a few long shots bedew monument and between horse pasture and the big o, the rest is slow moving for me, but I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere.

Any time you wanna get together and ride lemme know. Thinking 2 day camp in petersville next weekend or the Nelchina Glacier in Eureka.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The fact of the matter is the only reason I purchased a Polaris is because they are the only company that produces a 6x6 UTV. It's as simple as that. It's no secret Polaris has the market cornered when it comes to 6x6's. After three visits to the repair shop, two service bullitens, and having a friend with the exact same machine experience the exact same problems, I am seriously concerned about the durability and dependability of these Rangers.

I should have expounded on that more however my wording was a bit misleading. WG "had" a Rhino at one point, ran a quad and now has a Ranger.

He has a birds eye view of both machines.

The X2 had similar issues in it's first years. I like Polaris and they do seem to iron things out over the course of a models life. I do drool over the new 6x6 but will give them another year or so to get them right. The XP quads I have ridden have been awesome. I love the under rack dry storage that they offer. I hate the little hitch mount. Personally I am a Cat fan. Mine has proven to be very solidly built. I just wish they had a 6x6... The Griz is a solid machine and probably a bit more sporty than the others. They just don't feel well laid out for a guy my size and the lower weight came from somewhere! Lighter parts usually means less durability when loading it down for heavy utility work.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I've yet to run a Rhino, but 4 guys I know have switched to a Ranger. WaterGremlin being one of them.

Every rig is gonna have year ups and downs, just know what you want from it performance wise and find that balance.

Ranger pros-
    Higher ground clearance
    Hauling capacity
    3 seater
    Power to weight ratio is awesome. 800lbs in mine and I never felt held back.
    Ability to handle larger tires and not be too under powered.
    Roominess of the "cockpit"
    Higher mounted radiator- haven't needed to clean mine yet.
    Redesigned access to front diff for service
    Cons
    Bed squeaks like a mofo
    Front springs sag a bit too quickly.
    Already have new shocks- I blew out the rubber stops

Rhino pros cons
    Lower Cg can be a good thing, but clearance means getting stuck or high centering more
    I've seen several tie rod ends snap off at the head.
    I have only owned Polaris and I guess I should start a thread that asks why does anyone buy Yamaha. Seriously? I'm not sure what information the OP is trying to get. If you like yamaha great, but to state emphatically that you're a Yamaha guy but wonder why anyone would buy a polaris sounds like you might feel like you're missing out on something. Well IMO you are as TWB listed above and I'll add a major one IMO.

Polaris's AWD system is superior for trail riding. Diff-lock definitely has its place in the ATV/UTV world but in a long 50 mile+ Eureka trail system trip the Polaris AWD system out shines any diff-lock system. Numerous times I have been stopped on the trail waiting for my buddies who have Yamaha and AC un-F themselves because they didn't have it in diff-lock going up a steep incline or going through deep mud. Most of the time I have to back down and give them something to winch off of because they lost momentum and spun out and even diff-lock will not get them out. Polaris AWD system is a limited slip system and if your stuck your stuck there was nothing more you could do. Plus, when the AWD system is engaged there is no engine retarding so you have full power to all 4 or 6 wheels vs. diff-lock which retards the power unless you override it. For professional rock climbers or professional mud boggers diff-lock is the way to go, but for your average weekend ATV/UTV'r Polaris's AWD system is gas and go. BTW I have a 2010 Ranger 6X6 and have one ripped tie rod boot, and one shock adjustment pin sheer off nothing else. I've been from Old Man Creek to the Black River. From Butte Lake to Deadman Lake. From Snodgrass lake to Jack creek. From Swede lake to Dickey lake, and bunch of other smaller trips in between.

AK-grizz the first step to healing is admitting. You KNOW why everyone buys Polaris, just do it already.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I do drool over the new 6x6 but will give them another year or so to get them right.
    In 2010 Polaris made major changes to the Ranger 6X6 which have been carried over for model year 2011 and 2012. There is NO difference between the 2010 model and the 2012 6X6 model other than they added some cab nets and redesigned the manifold intake. So, LuJon if you're in the market look for a used 2010 or 2011 they are the same as the 2012.

I am curious about the service bulletins. Haven't heard anything about 'em. And remember service bulletins are where the manufacturer sees a potential issue and if someone COMES IN with the problem they will fix it regardless of warranty. There have been no RECALLS on anything having to do with the 2010 - 2012 Polaris Ranger 6X6's that I know of.

You drive a Ford though 1S1K, that makes you a different type of Polaris owner.

I'm sorry

I will add my 2 cents I have owned 80 yamaha's in the past 8 years and 2 polaris (6x6 Sportsman) Out of the 80 yamaha's only had 2 problems factory forgot the boot band and one bad sensor ,The 2 polaris were in the shop every week due to Fire,Starters,Clutch,Starters ,Starters .Oh did I mention starters Like everyone says its what ever you like. You can see what I like LOL!!!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

If you have never had a problem then why would you replace them?

Looking at it from a business standpoint replacing something that has never had any problems "cept the two you mentioned" then getting new ones is just creating more overhead right?

My AC doesn't retard a thing when I engage the diff lock.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    If you have never had a problem then why would you replace them?

Looking at it from a business standpoint replacing something that has never had any problems "cept the two you mentioned" then getting new ones is just creating more overhead right?
    I keep 1 or 2 from every year some of the older ones have over 12,000 + miles only had to replace a few set of rings and clutches from the 2002 bikes all still have same belts. No overhead here bikes pay for themselves every year every 30th person a bike is payed for. Plus Yamaha has the best financing I know of 0/0/0 for 6 months I use thier money for start up pay them off 4 months later win win for me. I also see you said you put 1200 miles a year I do that in 3 1/2 months on our short trip 1 month on our long trip

yamaha vs. polaris (not trying to start a spitting contest)

Sorry Ak_grizz looks like I did just that. I promise I will not post anymore on what I think about a Polaris

I also see you said you put 1200 miles a year I do that in 3 1/2 months on our short trip 1 month on our long trip
    Yes you do, but your riding the equivalent of the Anchorage coastal trail.

I have a Yamaha 4 wheeler and a few Polaris machines including the bad rep '99 Ranger 6x6. I marvel at how good they all are. Guys say they want to wait til Polaris gets it right? You're missing out. At 12 years old my Ranger keeps on ticking.

I buy the deal, not the label.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    In 2010 Polaris made major changes to the Ranger 6X6 which have been carried over for model year 2011 and 2012. There is NO difference between the 2010 model and the 2012 6X6 model other than they added some cab nets and redesigned the manifold intake. So, LuJon if you're in the market look for a used 2010 or 2011 they are the same as the 2012.

I am curious about the service bulletins. Haven't heard anything about 'em. And remember service bulletins are where the manufacturer sees a potential issue and if someone COMES IN with the problem they will fix it regardless of warranty. There have been no RECALLS on anything having to do with the 2010 - 2012 Polaris Ranger 6X6's that I know of.
    I have and love Yamaha 4 wheelers, but for a Utility, nothing can touch a Ranger 6X6. I bought a 2011 model 6X6 and will never buy any other UTV. I take and took mine places Rhino's and a Mule could not even think of going. I had to pull 2 of them through it when I came upon them mired to their doors. One thing Polaris did do that is not mentioned is on the 2012 model they put a heat shield under the seat to take care of the hot butt issue. Plus, they now have metal seat pins because the plastic ones have been known to melt on earlier models. Otherwise the same machine as mine.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

I enjoy the warm seat.

Default Someone should organize a ride

Could be a nice way to meet and prove our rides! Maybe learn something new skills or tricks I think it would be a blast. I hear lots of you talking about rides I've never even heard of and I'd like to pick up a few new places to play in the mud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast