Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At least we weren't skunked (and an unsuccessful black bear trip)

Default At least we weren't skunked (and an unsuccessful black bear trip)

I know you all wanna see big bulls and bruins, but this thread contains neither

Following the family caribou trip, member woods&water (Jeremy) and I headed back to unit 13 for some moose action. There were many people camped in the area we had planned to go, but were able to take a casual first day hunting and stay out of our friends area that they were hunting while we camped with them.

Our friends boogied the following day and around 2 pm we saw what appeared to be a pretty good bull more than 3 miles away. Borris doesn't lie and he is your best friend in times like this. Meet Borris:

We made our way over to where the bull was hanging with what we learned were 4 other bulls and two cows. We made it about 2 miles with the wheelers before we decided to go on foot. Rifles, a couple bottles of water, Borris, and we were off.

Our intention was to just go up on the next ridge and see what we could see, but we played the 'just one more ridge' game until we were about 500 yards from the bull who had bedded down.

Here's what we were looking at for about an hour and a half waiting for him to move his head or stand up so we could count some brow-tines

Left of center:

At about 5pm, I told Jeremy that we were going to have to do something as we were going to be pushing daylight as it was. There were two other spike/fork bulls with this one along with a paddle bull. This is when we also realized we had no knives as they were back in the wheelers a mile and a half away.

After much cow calling and blank stares from the rest of the ungulates, we finally got him to stand up and he was 2x3 with thin palms and short tines. We dubbed him as not being legal and went after one of the spike/forks. A short stalk later, I downed one of the spike/fork bulls.

We walk up to the moose and I look at Jeremy. "We need knives". He offered to go, but I figured since I pulled the hook, I would make the 3 mile round trip. No photos of the animal and I as we were VERY pressed for time and needed to start butchering right away.

I got back and we rolled the guts out of him, peeled the hide off and headed back to camp. We arrived JUST before dark and enjoyed some good brats and an Alaskan IPA.

The next day we got up early and headed over to retrieve the bull. It was smooth going until we hit the same patch we only made it halfway through the previous day. It may not look like much in this picture, but anyone who wheelers in the backcountry like this knows that in August you fear the dark green and in September, you fear the yellow.

Before we left, we saw that we left one of our camp chairs too close to the fire and the other one was ripped also. Maybe I should leave these on Baldy for someone to steal...

We took about an hour going through this spot and broke the moose down and headed back

Back at camp with our prize

The next day Jeremy chased a bull in the 55" class but the ladies wanted us home Wednesday night, so we obliged and headed out early that afternoon. I got a call from Alaska_Lanche that himself, Bighorse, and CtP were going to be cooking up fresh sheep and caribou ribs that evening. We jumped at the chance and shared a great meal together. They were all supposed to hook up with us on this hunt but were apparently too successful and couldn't take any more meat home!!

Since we came out a bit early and still had some time before I had to go back to work, we headed south toward Hope in case we were able to see some black bears. We left early and found ourselves looking through the binos at a lone black bear on a hillside that looked very brushy and very steep. What the heck, we went after him anyway...

Yes, there is a black bear in this photo...

I made the mistake of beginning to hike with my bibs on...and quickly shed them after I was just about as wet inside as I was out...

Very neat forests down on the peninsula. Big old growth spruce and LOTS of avalanche debris to clamor around, under, and over

We made it out of the timber/brush line to find no black bear but gorgeous scenery. It was really neat to see the arm from that vantage point and angle as well...

Faster Kyle...Post FASTER!!!

(GREAT thread man)
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

The winds picked up and it got COLD up there pretty quickly. Ol' blackie must've headed south east around the face he was on as he was nowhere to be found. We decided to head back down after a few more pictures...

This is the kind of thing you definitely don't get to see on the couch at home. Two trees fell over at the same time and completely split a third right down the middle like a hatchet. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it was pretty neat!!

9 hours after we left, we arrived back at the truck and just KNEW he was gonna be back up there. Thankfully he wasn't

Right between the trees is where he was, up in the rocks...

I gotta give a shout out to HuntAK59. We went south after reading your thread 'Bear Down' which gave us some hopes of a good hunt. It took us 4 hours up and over 3 hours down. I know we weren't in the same area, but good goin' on the solo hunt.

I can tell you Hope black bears aren't a fish in the barrel hunt. We worked our tails off getting up/down that hill and I know you must've also...

We left a bunch of sweat on the mountain, took some pictures, and enjoyed sore legs the next day reminded of yet another great Alaskan adventure, just hours from home. Man, I love this place!!!

Great thread and some sweet pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Nolan View Post
    Great thread and some sweet pics!
    Thanks! I know it's not as exciting as some other threads but I figured some might enjoy AK hunting pics nonetheless...

I see you're a F15/F22 crew chief. Know the Hennigs by chance?

Yeah, I know who he is. Don't really know him other than seeing him around.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Faster Kyle...Post FASTER!!!

(GREAT thread man)
    Haha, didn't see your comment hidden in there...

Nice post - its great to see ones like this that shows you and your friends true appreciation of the oputdoors - its def not about just pulling the trigger!
    Thx again...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nice report, thanks. This time of year I generally see as many Brown Bears as Black Bears up in the berry patches. But so far the Brown/Grizzly Bears have stayed down on Six-Mile and on the beach.

Awesome story and pics!!

Nice write up Bro. Glad you got to get out and do some moose hunting!! Need to get me an HDR camera, thinking next month that camera you were looking at comes out and I'll be picking one up for sure.

Need to get ya some collaspable trekking poles with a rifle rest on them so you don't gotta haul the trigger sticks around on a packing hunt that tower above your head yet though Wheeler hunting not a problem though....See if you and I can squeeze in a day hunt for black bears before I jet off for goats.

Congratulations on putting meat in the freezer ! Thanks for sharing the experience and great pics !

Congrats on the bull and the great opportunity to get up high and see some new sights!

Why not???? I'm always looking for a reason to climb a hill and look around. That hillside looks alot like SE terrain.

I'm heading into the backcountry around Sitka for two days starting tomorrow. Just gonna look around so-to-speak. Hopefully I find something looking back at me.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed hanging with such good people for that meal. Everyone was so special and talented in their own regard. It was a great experience. Good times!

Your welcome at my place anytime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast