Thread: Game Bags

Default Game Bags

We got our little meat bull last weekend. A few flies still around and our very porous bags had me worried. We didn't hang for long and have all our meat cut but next year I want something better.

Was going to make something out of light canvas but then saw this...It's 40x18" light cotton about like a giant pillow case.

What do you think

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hiking...orage-sack.jsp

I really like just a couple of different game bags. When weight is a concern the Pristine Ventures "TAG" Bags are excellent- I've used mine several times this year. They are tightly woven,the synthetic material is very stain resistant, breathes well and they clean up easily.

When weight isn't a concern I like the heavy canvas game bags- they last well, are fly proof and are the most puncture resistant game bag you can get. The heavy canvas doesn't breathe as well as TAG bags but I use them for situations where I have vehicle support and will be getting the meat out of the field very quickly.

Most of the thin canvas bags and the stretchy woven "roll on" types I've used were little better than worthless- the generous weave lets in flies and dirt and, at least in my experience, they tend to tear or puncture on contact with anything harder than third grade math.

I am in the same boat as hodgeman on game bags the heavy canvas ones when I don't have to pack them and the tag bags when I am carrying it all on my back. I also throw the tag bags in on vehicle hunts as well just because I can bring extra stuff.

Those sleeping bag storage bags breath well and are tightly woven but are very thin cotton and would not last too long in my opinion.

I just wish Larry would make a set of TAG bags that are not as deep for when I bone out meat like on a sheep hunt. And add another small bags for the heart or tongue.

Hi North, nice post on the spydie forum BTW.

I've used TAG bags for most of my big game and love them.

Ditto Tag Bags.

TAG bags all the way. IMHO what makes a bag last is it's ability to wash up well after each use and these do a fine job.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks all...I just got back from Haines, Alaska (spectacular) and bought some 8OZ Canvas 30x60 game bags made by hide-away hunting gear. This was exactly what I was looking for and pretty much what I had planned to make on my own. I'll keep an eye out for Tag bags next time I am in Alaska.

I had my wife sew me up some out of sheets from sally anns and I will never buy another game bag. We used them on two moose and were the best bags I have ever used, and the cheapest.

I get used king sized pillow cases from thrift stores. Just a tiny bit too small for a moose hind quarter, but work for everything else. I also sewed some up out of sheets for moose hind quarters.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

sheets sewed 2 sides into a bag works great, wash and reuse
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Hey guys, thanks for the kudos on our TAG Bags.

I've got plenty of camp meat bags that I use for backstraps, tenderloins, camp meat, and boned out shiz that I remove from critters. I pack a few in my sets on each hunt, and i agree that the smaller sizes are ideal for sheep hunting or slipping camp food into on remote hunts.

The rough sizes are about 14" X 20". Precise size may vary slightly because we have them sewn from our scrap material after each production runs.

I'll add them to our product page this week, so keep a check on that for availability. Price will be 2 bags for $5.00

http://www.pristineventures.com/products/game-bags.html

Anyone who buys a book, video or other TAG Bags from us after today will get a free bag with each order.
    Camp Meat bag.jpg

Larry

thanks larry for the awesome game bags, i used them for the first time this season and will never use another game bag. TAG BAGS!!!

TAG bags are the only way to go. I always used game bags that my wife made from cotton sheets complete with draw strings. They worked great IF the meat was cased up good before it went in them. I took TAG bags on a moose float trip this fall as was impressed with there perfomence. We shot a decent bull on a gravel bar and put the meat in bags as we quarterd the moose. When got to the take out 6-7 hours latter I decided to change out the bloody bags with some new ones I could not believe how well cased the meat was even the burger meat was drying good. I took the bloody bags put them in the creek with the opening down stream and weighted them down with rocks after some mountianhouse for dinner the bags were darn near spotless, my son then tied them up with the openings into the wind like a windsock in 30 minutes in a 10-15 knot wind they were dry. They are a little pricey but whats the cost of having meat go bad. Happy Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    The rough sizes are about 14" X 20". Precise size may vary slightly because we have them sewn from our scrap material after each production runs.

I'll add them to our product page this week, so keep a check on that for availability. Price will be 2 bags for $5.00

http://www.pristineventures.com/products/game-bags.html

Anyone who buys a book, video or other TAG Bags from us after today will get a free bag with each order.
    Camp Meat bag.jpg

Larry
    Thats awesome Larry thanks for adding them to the lineup!