Thread: DM782 Muzzleloading Recon

Default DM782 Muzzleloading Recon

Just putting feelers out there for any interest in doing some scouting in mid to late October. Anyone else that has the tag that would be interested in the trip PM me and we can try to set something up. Im even up for splitting a couple hours of flight time to recon the terrain for Wheeler or Snowmachine Access later.

sent you a pm

Anyone had any luck getting up into the upper drainage yet? Still a lot of open water on the river as of yesterday...

what river are you talking about? i was planning on going up salcha after turkey dinner. is this not an option? has anyone killed a moose on this hunt yet? i haven't heard of anything.

Just got back from this hunt. Saw 1 nice bull in headwaters but he was 1/2 away and effectively out of reach. No other moose spotted in 3 days of hunting. Tons of wolf sign - gee I wonder where all the moose are

Maybe next time...

Does anyone know if this hunt is worth taking a my 12 year old son on. We would be coming from soldotna and mom really hates for him ton miss school. Any idea on what the harvest rate is on this hunt. Boy loves to hunt but it is a long drive to get to this area for us. Any info on this area in November before I get mom upset on skipping school.

your son is 12, he will never be 12 again. work with him starting in late August on school then take him hunting ..... he will remember the hunt and things he learns there LONG after he's forgotten what he would have learned in school those days. Have him read some maps and do some math about distances and azimuths etc if you want. How much edible meat will you wind up with if you get X% from a moose live on the hoof,,,,,,,,, big bull, small bull......... or even how much if from front or rear quarters. How much gas will you need if your snow machine/wheeler gets so many miles to the gallon......... so many miles in........and back.........plus driving around

sorry got carried away.......... but missing a few days of school should NEVER keep you from taking your kid hunting, or fishing, or on a vacation. BTW, my wife is a teacher and she agrees 100%. Just don't pester the crap out of your kids teacher expecting them to come up with custom designed homework for you kid to do while he's gone

be proactive, have him do a SHORT report on his trip, get some math in there, and maybe some alaska geography, do it WITH him (not for him)

OK,,,,,,,,,I guess the bottom line is......... go hunting.........have a blast........he's not going to be 12 again for a long long time

wish I had done MORE of that not less......... my youngest is 24 now

Thumbs up

Could not have said it any better!

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    your son is 12, he will never be 12 again. work with him starting in late August on school then take him hunting ..... he will remember the hunt and things he learns there LONG after he's forgotten what he would have learned in school those days. Have him read some maps and do some math about distances and azimuths etc if you want. How much edible meat will you wind up with if you get X% from a moose live on the hoof,,,,,,,,, big bull, small bull......... or even how much if from front or rear quarters. How much gas will you need if your snow machine/wheeler gets so many miles to the gallon......... so many miles in........and back.........plus driving around

sorry got carried away.......... but missing a few days of school should NEVER keep you from taking your kid hunting, or fishing, or on a vacation. BTW, my wife is a teacher and she agrees 100%. Just don't pester the crap out of your kids teacher expecting them to come up with custom designed homework for you kid to do while he's gone

be proactive, have him do a SHORT report on his trip, get some math in there, and maybe some alaska geography, do it WITH him (not for him)

OK,,,,,,,,,I guess the bottom line is......... go hunting.........have a blast........he's not going to be 12 again for a long long time

wish I had done MORE of that not less......... my youngest is 24 now