Thread: for 5MW of power. Really?

Default for 5MW of power. Really?

I just did a little research and found the hydro plant they are thinking about would only generate 5MW of power AT BEST. Other estimates put it at 2-3MW. I dont know how true those numbers are but that is not much. There are wind turbines out there that generate that much power for a single unit. Does it make sense to mess with a salmon stream for that? it seems to me that if you are going to possibly scew up a salmon stream there needs to be a coresponding payback and that much power is just not worth it! If it would be a 70MW plant then maybe there would be some thing to look at but not for that much power. I know its been discussed at length here but i never did see how much power would be generated. I think that needs to be a real factor in looking at it. A gernerator of that size wont make much difference in the power grid. It will however start salmon stream disruption down a slippery slope. Has anyone else heard any numbers on how much power would be generated?

I believe you are correct kgpcr.

Unless this project is subsidized all the way through construction, it won't pencil out. I don't believe the HEA board of directors is knowledgable enough to make these decisions. The reality is that HEA is getting grant funding for the project, and a portion of that grant funding goes for their general administrative costs, which is the only real benefit to HEA as a corporation. I don't think this project will happen based on economics, but its going to require someone that holds the grant funding to actually look at the financial reality of the project.

Good point B4U. In my home town in St. Cloud MN they put in a Hydro plant on an existing dam on the Mississippi and that has not worked out.