Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ak Hunting News: State to Pay Gunners Bounty on Wolves

Arrow Ak Hunting News: State to Pay Gunners Bounty on Wolves

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

Under a new decision, authorized gunners taking part in the aerial wolf control program will be paid a $150 bounty on kills. The effort will be evaluated in two weeks and if more wolves aren't killed State gunners will go up. Thus far only 98 of a target 382 to 664 wolves have been killed. The control season ends April 30th.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildl...-8628810c.html

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

didn't we try this with dolly varden and eagles? How'd that work out? How's it working out with pikeminnows in washington state? What a shame that Palin decides to cut the funding to fish and game and then use part of that money to bring us back to the 1920s.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I think authorizing a bounty is still more cost effective than using state resources like helicopters and biologists to do the shooting.

Tim

Thumbs up

If you want "Intensive" management, pay them $1000 incenitive. If it worked out, the cost would be inbetween $284,000 & $566,000, or roughly about what 284 to 526 Alaskan's get from their PFD's. If their goning to do predator control, my opinion is, Lets get with the Program!!

If the non res tags were not so much per wolf I would want to make a trip for just wolves. I have been trying to shoot one for 25 years now with no luck, never hunted for them specifically but have always welcomed the opportunity.

Why not allow something like 5 wolves or something per non res wolf tag? Many non- res will not shoot them as that is another $250 if I remember correctly on top of a $450 moose tag. If you shoot one on your moose tag you are out of luck on your moose.

Doug

Just do it like I do when you go out sledding, take along your rifle and go searching for them and shoot one or two a day. Alot can be shot in a year, lol.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Thumbs up Wolf Tags

Non-resident wolf tags are $30 each (p. 10, 2006-07 Hunting Regs). They are not required in GMU's 12, 13, 16, 19, and 20.
    Come on up!

My mistake, thanks for the correction. I thought they were much more than that, like I said I never targeted them only looked at them as a potential opportunity while in the field.

Doug

Mark

The bounty should be also offered to trappers.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Let's see, in the ADN about 2 weeks ago they had a graf showing how many wolves had been killed in the Predator Control Areas and both of the areas in GMU 19 had 0 kills. Where are the whining residents of those areas? Why have somebody else take care of business for you. I don't want to hear about high gas prices for your sno-go as a lot of you are catching fish in the summer to keep a sled team going through the winter. People are getting too dependant on Government.

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    If you want "Intensive" management, pay them $1000 incenitive. If it worked out, the cost would be inbetween $284,000 & $566,000, or roughly about what 284 to 526 Alaskan's get from their PFD's. If their goning to do predator control, my opinion is, Lets get with the Program!!
    Well, I agree with you that it should be $1,000 per wolf. After all, the hunter would have to fly in, and them back out. Once the target number of kills has been reached, the deal is stopped by F&G. Besides, it would cost a fortune for F&G to do it itself, much more than paying the $1,000 per wolf. Paying $150.00 per wolf is not going to attract too many hunters, because the high cost of flying in and out.

Thumbs up

Alleninalaska, "where are the whing residents of those areas"? Good question. Apparently their not whining. Sounds like someone else is though.

Why does everyone rely on the government to pay the bounty? You can already skin, clean and dry the wolf pelt, have it tagged and sell it to a fur buyer. Go out there and shoot a few during a trip and it will pay for itself in no time and then some.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Thumbs up

Nobody lately has been getting paid a bounty from the goverment, at least not for the past 35 years in Alaska. Its supposed to be an "incentive", to make sure the program is completed. Are you aware of the operating costs of a Super cub.? Come over to Unit 13 and show us how to do it.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    Alleninalaska, "where are the whing residents of those areas"? Good question. Apparently their not whining. Sounds like someone else is though.

If you are insinuating that I'm whining about the BOUNTY you are correct. You want to know the names of the persons whining about the low moose counts in GMU19 or will the mention of Aniak and McGrath be suffecient? Personally I could care less how many wolves are up in GMU19. I hope they starve instead of the State paying a BOUNTY for others to do the work that the locals should be doing on their own.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    ....I hope they starve instead of the State paying a BOUNTY for others to do the work that the locals should be doing on their own.
    Fur prices have edged up over the past few years, thanks to fashion changes in Russia, China, Korea, etc. This is good news for proponents of wolf control.

If combined with a reasonable "bounty" or "incentive" from the state, it could mean a significant turnaround in wolf management. It should especially be true of the "rural" areas of Alaska, where there is a very limited economy.

Unless, of course, the folks in those areas have forgotten how to trap, or don't need to because the state sends them all the cash and/or subsidies they need anyway...........

Alleninalaska, I guess I'm one who doesn't care to tell others what they "Should" be doing. I'm not in the "shoulda, coulda, woulda, crowd.

this is funny. i lived in mcgrath, you don't just hop on a machine throw some traps off a trail and go pick up wolves at the end of the week, put them in the mail and pick up your check...

Theres a reason so many people haven't ever killed one, or many haven't even seen one! they ain't stupid, they're the ultimate in killing machinery. built to stay alive and kill stuff, thats it. the bounty's all well and good, but it ain't gonna pay for nothing for those airplane guys, i agree that it should be extended to any dead wolf taken from a predator control area.

Its also funny to see how alaska seperates when it comes to issue that tend to circle a certian area ie....mcgrath. "why dont the locals do it, its their problem, i could care less about their wolf problem."
    but then all of a sudden an area you do care about has a problem and you don't live there either, well golly your out there tripping all over yourself to help out!! looking out for number one i think they call that.

Sooooo many of these threads end up with selfish attitudes that all gear towards "getting mine and getting it my way in my time how i want to"
    one guy in another thread said if he was given the choice to shoot a moose and have to share it, he wouldn't shoot one cause he don't wanna help out anyone else, he helps enough already....welcome to the new alaska.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    this is funny. i lived in mcgrath, you don't just hop on a machine throw some traps off a trail and go pick up wolves at the end of the week, put them in the mail and pick up your check...
    Nope. Trapping is hard work, and the novice doesn't get rich quick. Just like anything else, you've gotta' learn how to do it.

And wolves aren't the only valuable fur out there.

Theres a reason so many people haven't ever killed one, or many haven't even seen one! they ain't stupid, they're the ultimate in killing machinery. built to stay alive and kill stuff....
    The old saying was that if you see a wolf, he's already seen you twice.

.....the bounty's all well and good, but it ain't gonna pay for nothing for those airplane guys...
    A bounty isn't set up for one to make a career from. It's supposed to be an incentive. A bonus. A "thank you very much."

Its also funny to see how alaska seperates when it comes to issue that tend to circle a certian area ie....mcgrath. "why dont the locals do it, its their problem, i could care less about their wolf problem."
    Sorta' like "why don't those "urban" guys get their meat from Carrs and stay outta' our woods"?

If the bounty doesn't work for the folks who live out there, how is it supposed to work for someone who has to fly out there to do it?

.....but then all of a sudden an area you do care about has a problem and you don't live there either, well golly your out there tripping all over yourself to help out!!....
    Funny how GMU 14A (central Mat-Su) has a very healthy moose population and density with no predator problems.

Did the rural guys visit and shoot/trap our predators in check?

looking out for number one i think they call that.
    In practice, not politically.

Practice works. Politics don't, and it even makes the situation worse.

Sooooo many of these threads end up with selfish attitudes that all gear towards "getting mine and getting it my way in my time how i want to" one guy in another thread said if he was given the choice to shoot a moose and have to share it, he wouldn't shoot one cause he don't wanna help out anyone else, he helps enough already....
    That guy would be me. And that's not quite an accurate quote. Here it is again:

If your choice is no hunt, or to hunt and share the meat.

Which would you chose?
    No hunt.

I'll divert my labors to my livestock and garden and raise my own food, or hunt elsewhere.

I already work for others too much.
    And, to clarify:

....I really don't have the time to hunt for others. I donate heavily to the church, was on and even managed the moose road kill salvage program for our local food bank for a while, and donate time very heavily toward another good charity.

Charity caribou hunting, especially if it's coerced on me, just isn't in the cards.....
    I stand by those statements. I'm not rich enough (despite what the Board thinks) to afford to fuel up my rigs, take an average of five days, kill a caribou, then deliver it to someone who the state determines is entitled.

There are plenty of charities out there, and I do my share. "Hunting for charity" isn't going to become one of them.

I don't hunt simply to shoot animals at any expense.

Now I've already written that I might have "poor" friends who need help in securing their newly entitled caribou:

....When I retire, my income might go down to the "entitlement" level, but by then the lawyers and whiners will get it changed yet again.

No matter. I've already had a couple of "poor" friends ask me if I'd take them out to my honey-hole and help them get "their" caribou, cause they're too poor to afford a trailer to haul their broken down wheeler to the killing zone....
    But I'm not going to go hunting ungulates statewide for the pure pleasure of killing them just to deliver the meat to someone else, regardless who tells me that it's my duty to do so.

Nor will I endure great expense to shoot/trap predators in order to bring their populations/densities into management goals just to hear the peoples of that region (as well as political regions) say that I have no right to hunt ungulates there because they're more "in need".

Sorry. That's just the way it's going to be.

mark, the beauty of all this is that we each have the choice of how we want to operate, think,feel and so on. your doing what you think if best for you and thats fine, thanks for the explaination on what i read before. i guess i just miss read the post, i thought it was a if you could only hunt and share it or not hunt at all...not really a pleasure killing/sharing kinda deal.

anyway, thats a bunny trail to the bounty/incentive. I think one reason we have so few predators around here is that predators don't like people, prey animals have realized that where people inhabit, predators are few and far between. We do have some wolves and bears in the area, but not like undeveloped areas. Predators don't like people you see that when you hunt them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast