Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new rod... 3 or 4 wt?

Default Looking for a new rod... 3 or 4 wt?

Hey guys,

I am new to fly fishing and I am wanting a 3 or 4 wt in 4 to 6 pieces. I want something light and packable. It would be used mostly for grayling and dollies on the Parks. Looking for any suggestions on makes, models, pros, cons and personal experience on what works for them. Suggestions on reels would be welcome too. I already have a 2 pc 6 wt, just looking for something more packable and better suited for smaller streams and creeks.

Thanks

Really kind of depends on your budget $$$. I wouldn't get one that's less than 8ft 6

I was thinking of a bubget between 5 and 750 for the rod and real. maybe its just the rod but the 6 i have now just feels to heavy for the smaller fish

Consider the Orvis Frequent Flyer 7 piece rod and an Orvis Battenkill BBS I or II reel. This is a very lightweight and portable 4 wt system. I have it in 6 wt also. Backpack, Harley saddlebag, etc.. this combo travels well. A true medium type action without feeling cheap. Much better action than I would have expected for so many sections. Admittingly, I feel this set up is better for the type of fishing I would often do with my 4 wt than the 6 wt. Floating line, dries, some nymphs, the 4 wt set up is pretty awesome if a tidy package is needed. As a less expensive option, check out some of the travel rods (5-6 pc) combos from Cabelas.

Rod

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_d...subcat_id=7445

Reel

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=40C7

-Dan

yeah, those look nice. I would like to put my hands on one. Are most of you that fish on the parks mostly using 5 wt? Ive been fishing these waters many years on spinning gear and always liked the feel of light sensitive rods

I have a couple of 4's and a couple of 3's. The 4 is by far more versatile. I use it on the Kenai as my primary rainbow rod. As an idea, look at the TFO TiCrX 4wt rods. They are a great rod for the price, you can touch them locally, and the warranty is great. Mike @ Mossy's has Lamson reels that will take care of you. Total out of pocket for rod, reel, line, and other necessities is around $500. The 3 wt is light for bigger fish. They work great for grayling but could get you in trouble with larger fish.

The 4wt is my go-to rod and has outfished numerous higher end and higher weighted rods. I have higher expense and prettier rods but always seem to end up going back to the 4 wt. It lands big bows and dollies, silvers, and works well for grayling.

Rod weight doesn't matter as much as tippet strength.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Jethead So with your budget you could pick up pretty much what ever brand you want. I just had a 3 weight sage in my hands while looking at 3 rivers in wasilla. It was nice,but I already have a good 4 weight and I wasn't really looking that day to get rid of 300$. Your 6 weight might feel big for Grayling as really I feel that way about my 4,but when you want to throw some of the bigger flys like dolly L. its much harder with the 4 over the 6.I guess that's why we all have more than 1 rod to play with. I was having fun last night hooking 1 grayling after another with my 4, but if I was going more after rainbows I might bring my 6 along not just because of bigger stronger fish but I might want to use larger flys. My 4 is kind of soft so it is fun with smaller fish, but it's not pretty when I'm throwing a fly with big coneheads or eyes.
    As for packable size. Like Dan he wants to carry it on his Harley then that orvis is a great 7 piece set up.My 4 is a 4 piece and that's is very easy to fit in my travel box/bag when I fly.
    After a friend helped me loose my 5 weight last fall I replaced it with a 4 & 6. I went with Lamson Gurus for both and think they are great reels for the $$.1 piece machined, good looking ,great drag system and was told they use the same drag in it as the 400$ model.
    For Rods Can't go wrong with sage, or orvis if you want to spend the$ and TFO and Stcroix are fine as well. There is so much good stuff out there just start looking and the right one will be in your hands. I'm not total product loyal to any one I like to have some of each. Have fun shopping!

Thank you PD, just the info I was looking for. Im only shopping with a keyboard right now but I think when I get home I'll be taking a hard look at the TFO BVK in a 4 Wt and throwing a Ross Vexsis reel on it. Fly fishing appears to be like everything else I enjoy... Lots of compromises and you cant just buy one for all... Still open to more suggestions

I am all for spending money on the things in life you enjoy so take what I say with a grain of salt. However, for a 4 wt, I am not convinced a high end reel is needed in most applications. Give some thought to the fish you will target with the rod. I got the Orvis BBS on my 4 wts and they are lightweight and exceptional values for reels. Point being, consider some options like this before shelling out big money on a Vexsis for a 4 wt. It could be a lot of money to spend on a line holder. Depends on what you will do with the rod of course, but I think most fish targeted with a 4 wt would not find benefit in a high dollar reel. The BBS is like $100. I would favor putting more money in a 4 wt rod perhaps and get a more modestly priced reel.

Below is an option from Cabelas. 6 piece travel rod with 20" tube, decent reel (I got a few), and floating line for $189....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat105571980

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Jethead View Post
    I'll be taking a hard look at the TFO BVK in a 4 Wt
    I just had the chance to cast one belonging to a visitor. Holy cow. That half hour is going to cost me money, but thankfully not all that much compared to the Sage and Loomis we own. I'm more than a little impressed other than the grip. It's a little short for my hand, but I'll take the rod anyway.

Lots will depend on your casting style, but pay attention to the line you put in it. The owner had a generic weight forward on it, and I found it a little course for clean presentations of small flies. I put one of my reels on it with a Wolff Triangle Taper line, and it was magic. I guess turn about is fair play, cuzz now my bud is headed out to buy a new line for it. The TT line was incredibly smooth and precise and really helped with precise casting. Best of all, when you get the first 40' out, it turns into darned near a shooting head and lets you really reach out.

I threw this rod when I fished with Phish Finder and I was very impressed with it. It definitely was quite a bit faster than my sage. I am so impressed with it that I think I will pick one (or two) up. It has plenty of backbone.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I have a couple of 4's and a couple of 3's. The 4 is by far more versatile. I use it on the Kenai as my primary rainbow rod. As an idea, look at the TFO TiCrX 4wt rods. They are a great rod for the price, you can touch them locally, and the warranty is great. Mike @ Mossy's has Lamson reels that will take care of you. Total out of pocket for rod, reel, line, and other necessities is around $500. The 3 wt is light for bigger fish. They work great for grayling but could get you in trouble with larger fish.

The 4wt is my go-to rod and has outfished numerous higher end and higher weighted rods. I have higher expense and prettier rods but always seem to end up going back to the 4 wt. It lands big bows and dollies, silvers, and works well for grayling.

Rod weight doesn't matter as much as tippet strength.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Depends on what you will do with the rod of course, but I think most fish targeted with a 4 wt would not find benefit in a high dollar reel.
    Dan, no disrespect intended, but I highly disagree with this statement. 26" fish on a 4wt is great fun but next to impossible without a strong, reliable reel. The lighter the rod, the more the fisherman relies on the drag. That's especially true when it comes to 4wt rods. Lots of folks think they need a 6 or 7 wt rod to handle larger fish. With a reliable drag, the fisherman can use considerably lighter wt rods and have a spanking good time.

If you are only gonna catch small grayling then a drag doesn't matter. If you are fishing the Parks and tie into a reasonable rainbow or dolly (or silver) a decent drag will put the largest smile on your face that you have had from fishing in Alaska.

Cabela's reels are garbage IMHO as every one I have used has been trashed quickly. The drag systems just don't work. Ross reels all have a different drag system. The old Cimarron reels were quality. Unfortunately, Ross doesn't bring that same quality to the table any longer (as much as it pains me to say this).

4WT's vary considerably. I don't mind chunking Dolly Llama's with mine as it has proven successful time and again.

Experience levels and #'s of fish caught vary by individual.

Tight lines!

Q, glad you enjoyed it. It's highly functional for an inexpensive rod.

If you are only gonna catch small grayling then a drag doesn't matter.

That is what I use mine for. Smallmouth in western NC, farm ponds locally, grayling in Alaska, etc... If targeting bigger fish with a 4 wt, the utility of a nicer reel would be obvious. I was previously convinced a 10' 7 wt was needed for bows on the Kenai. I did however pick up a 6 wt 10 footer after fishing with you and Pegleg the other week. Casting his 5 wt was quite enjoyable. Likely picking up Carrie a similar combo soon. Her 8.5' medium action 6 wt was terrible with the 15' leaders. Makes a good rod for local waters and was a good starter set up, but I am searching now for an upgrade for her. Something about a 4 wt in my hands feels insignificant. My stature, mentality, combination of both perhaps just doesn't allow me to perceive a 4 wt as much more than a toothpick. Hell, the 10' 6 wt I recently got seems weightless.

Cabela's reels are garbage IMHO as every one I have used has been trashed quickly.

Agreed. Same for the Bass Pro Shops (white river) brand. But I got some of the Cabelas Prestige Plus 8 wts on sale a few years back and used them from the beaches on Nantucket for stripers and blues. Flawless reel at it's price point (CHEAP) and held up well. I didn't want to put my nicer reels on the beach, sands, saltwater, etc..

The enjoyment increases as the necessary skill level increases. Light tackle on big fish is great fun. Landing silvers on a toothpick sounds fun.

The Barbie rod has been slaying big fish, just to keep it in perspective.

Agreed again. However, "light tackle" is a subjective term. 6 wt is light to me. I may bring up a few 4 wts next year just for the hell of it. I lean towards the 6/7 wt for casting and such more so than fighting the fish. I can see where the fight would be great on the 4 wt, just curious about casting the monstrous leader, corkie, split shot, with the 4 wt. Having never tried, hard to have a very firm opinion. I was impressed with peglegs 5 wt so perhaps it is worth trying sometime on a 4 wt.

You are more than welcome to try my 4 wt setup anytime you are up. I don't have a problem with 15-16' of leader unless the wind is howling. The trick is getting it away from the boat far enough to have some fly line out. Then you pick it up and throw like normal. Good times!

Thank you gentlemen... Your knowledge, experiences and willingness to share is greatly appreciated! I have heard nothing but praise for the TFO BVK rods for the money. I totally understand what you mean about installing an overpriced line holder on that light of a rod especially considering the species I am chasing, but I found a deal on the Ross Vexsis for 255 which didnt seem that bad to me? My thinking was it might be nice to have a the a solid drag for the times I get into the bigger bows. My 2 pc 6 wt is a St Croix Imperial with Teton Tioga on it, I believe? In all honesty it would probably be all I ever need and more than likely just need more practice with it. But like I mentioned before I was looking for something a little more packable and fun for the little guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethead View Post
    ....and fun for the little guys.
    You haven't lived till you tackle pink salmon on a 4-weight!. Turns a 3-4# average fish into silver salmon in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You haven't lived till you tackle silver salmon on a 4-weight!. Turns a 8-12# average fish into king salmon in a heartbeat.
    There, I fixed it for ya!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast