Thread: Any new reports out of Kotzebue

Default Any new reports out of Kotzebue

heading up that way Sept 28th for a fly out

Kotz fly outs go over a vast area.......where you going?

Noatak and Upper Kobuk seem to be slammed in with Caribou, and alot have gone by here in teh last month, you should be up this way about right perfect for the fattest Bulls.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

we were up the squrrel(sp?) river plenty of bou.

Yup we were up the Kobuk river the other day, Awesome day of hunting, especially loved nearly being shot...Some guys were at the camp 1/2 mile above us. We were parked on one side of the river and we heard 25-30 shots with a very loud rifle so we all moved to the other side to park with 3 other boats. Luckily we had moved to the other side of the river because they were shooting at caribou in the water from the bank with high powered rifles, shooting over their own guys in the boat and one guy was chasing caribou down the sandbar firing with his rifle towards where we just parked...They left a couple in the water that must have ended up sinking because they came up to the people that were parked there asking if they had seen them float past.

The day before my buddy told me he was near them and had caught one and they came up to him claiming he had taken their caribou, they must have lost another one. He told me they were shooting does, calves and bulls. I didn't believe him but after seeing what I saw I can imagine it.

They were shooting parallel to the bank upriver and downriver from where they were. We were hearing shots ricochet and hit the sandbar across from us and hitting the middle of the river. There was a local cabin a mile down from where they were shooting and I was concerned because there was family staying there. I told them their shots were ricocheting towards us but they seemed indifferent and only asked if everyone was ok.

The worst part was that they left a couple wounded caribou in the willows and left them to suffer until we went up to tell them to get them. So sad to see the caribou being left to suffer like that. They got so many they couldnt keep track of them all. Just glad that we all had moved to the other side of the river before the shooting started.

Filed a complaint with f&g but this is the first time witnessing something like this.

Cool

Forgot to say it was a rented cabin, these guys were definitely not on the good side of the locals, including myself.

Ive seen such foolery, spoiling a good Bull producing trail through the willows to the river with gut piles, bloody scent, and the Bears that show up afterward. Caribou are not stupid, and just go a different way.....Oh well move a few mile to the next site and warn fellows that there is now a dead trail. Highpowerd rifles and sandbars ......shuks....bad for meat and people. Only takes a couple such fools to piss off a lotta people and sour things as such. Caribou cant sink, those fellas must have been blind, or worse....
    I try and talk with guys , and let them in on local ediquett, maby hunt along with us and get whats comming. Some listen, some dont, but this is only along the rivers, not much of a problem to flyins.

Caribou have been and are looking to be stedyily moving. A warm up might slow that, but the noticable lack of bugs this year sems to be helping alot.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Just got back from a Squirrel River hunt on Sunday and their were lots of Caribou this year (not last year). We had plenty of bulls moving by each and everyday of a seven day hunt. Best of Luck!

Know What you mean about last year, we were out there, fly out with ram

Yeah, I have been hunting out of Kotz for the last six years or so and we have always had good hunting however, last year not a caribou for 50 miles. I hiked a ton and never saw a fresh prints or fresh droppings, flew around and nothing! It was barren, no critter s, no bugs, not even any birds around. The locals told us that they had taken a different migration path. This year was back to normal if not better.

a little skiff of snow north of town last night...bring some warm stuff.