Thread: Winter moose good to eat?

Default Winter moose good to eat?

I have a question. I'm not an avid hunter, in fact you could say the animals are pretty safe when I'm out.
    I have a chance to do a registration winter hunt for moose.
    Are moose good to eat in December? It's any bull. Do they even have antlers in December?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

They taste the exact same as they do in the fall which is pretty darn good in my book. Most of the bulls I have seen during Dec have had antlers but some do not.

It largely depends on just how hungry you are. My advise is shoot the smallest bull you can find, This years male calf would be my first choice. Don't invite me to dinner if you shoot a large breed bull.

10,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Should taste just fine, but if you are worried, you can give it to me and I will let you know if there were any issues with it....

Check on the hunt specifics regarding the "any bull" designation. Most bulls will still have antlers, but not all. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't shoot them, just that you might have to be more careful to ensure it is a bull and not a cow if it has dropped it's antlers. Some hunts specify whether they need to have antlers or if a "male moose" counts. There should be a definition depending on the technical term it uses for that specific hunt under the "legal animal" designation.

Not bad meat for sure Young Bull, is quite fine.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I took a moose on 9 Jan 2009 at -20F on Ft. Rich. I was hunting for a Bull but couldn't find one in an open hunting area with both antlers still attached. Many had one or none by that time so I took a cow. She was delicious!

Took on in mid DEC off the Rex Trail was great and he was an old one who had dropped his antlers. Took another last part of NOV up Ship Creek young spike was even better.

During the last two falls, due to my failings in the fall, I ended up with two moose during the winter. Both were cows ( which I don't prefer to shoot, but all we eat is moose and the freezer was empty), both were just as good as anything I ever took in the fall. I could see maybe a big ole bull being a little tough from the rut, but otherwise I'd think you would be fine no matter what.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

No not fit to eat, Where were you planing on going just kidding! If it is taken care of it will be great! Good luck& shoot a small one.

I do love the INTERNET.

The bulls are fatter in the fall. Dec. would be less fat, sometimes very lean. Larger bulls will be just out of rut. Could still smell, but that shouldn't effect meat. The time without eating and alot of running around will contribute to poor meat. Younger bulls will likely be somewhat better.
    Large bulls can begin loosing antlers in Dec.
    Take care of the meat and it should be good. The body parts, backstraps, ribs, hip area, should give the best steak, roast meat. Legs might be tougher, but still some decent roasts.
    Sausage, burger is always an option.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

A big breeding bull in December will have no fat. Therefore steaks, roasts and such will be way dry and tough, a big bull that late in the year will turn into a burger and sausage moose. Most bulls will still have horns in December. I'd recommend shooting a younger bull as they will have more fat and have better quality meat.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I took a moose on 9 Jan 2009 at -20F on Ft. Rich. I was hunting for a Bull but couldn't find one in an open hunting area with both antlers still attached. Many had one or none by that time so I took a cow. She was delicious!
    Was that you at the drop zone? I stopped and asked if you needed help, driving a grey Ford. I took a bull on 15 Jan 11 but it was only -7 when I took him. And yes, he tastes great! Not tough, not dry, excellent eating. He did not have antlers. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Was that you at the drop zone? I stopped and asked if you needed help, driving a grey Ford. I took a bull on 15 Jan 11 but it was only -7 when I took him. And yes, he tastes great! Not tough, not dry, excellent eating. He did not have antlers. Go for it.
    No, I shot mine with a Bow on Arctic Valley Road on the right side 30 feet on the proper side of the gate about 20 feet off the road. It's just up past the water treatment plant. She ran in about 30 yards and was an easy pull back on a sled.

SDC10484.JPG

88.jpgAnd I shot this little guy last Friday at 8:20 PM in the Valley Area.

This one was shot on December 31 and tasted great. It was about like chewing shoe leather though, even the back-straps and tenderloins. He had already dropped one antler.

Attachment 53247