Thread: Haul Road the very end of October.

Default Haul Road the very end of October.

I've read everything in the archives but most has been about the beginning of October. My wife and I just got back from a trip up there and we had a great time. It was my wife's first time hunting period. She loved it and said it was very addicting. She wants to back, as do I, but our work schedules won't allow for time off until the 27th-31st of October.

Now my wife is just interested in getting a caribou with her bow, it doesn't matter what it is. We came close to getting some on our trip last week but just ran out of time.

Despite the weather and the road conditions, etc., is this a good time to go for numbers of caribou? I really want to try and help my wife get something with her bow before winter really sets in. She's just chomping at the bit now and is constantly asking about when, where, what she can hunt and what we can do next year.

Any thoughts on this time period up there?

Thanks

Hi mossyhorn,

I appreciate your willingness to involve your wife! It's the best hunting decision you'll ever make. On that note, I think traveling back up to the Haul Road late October/Early November would be very limiting. The average temperature in Coldfood in October ranges from 7 - 23*F and in November from 5 - (-)11*F and you'll be limited to ~ 7 hrs of daylight. In my mind, "winter has really set in" by this time.

Another option might be to head to PWS to chase blacktail deer. Success is generally good this time of year and there are cabins spotted throughout the sound that would make for a nice home base.

Another smaller, less expensive, option would be to focus on small game. Rabbits and ptarmigan can be hours of fun for a new archer and success is *almost* guaranteed.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I thought about deer hunting but the cost of getting flown somewhere may be too much at this point (don't have a boat). If nothing else, it will just be another great adventure!

As AKfowler stated, weather can be miserable, But you can be successful. It will be towards the end of the Rut, so the Bulls will be quite gamey. Most of the heard will have moved through the pass. Ive done it and have been successful, but we slept in the truck due to extreme cold. Also got stuck on the north side of the pass once due to a dump of snow in the pass. I wouldnt travel any farther north than Happy Valley, that time of year I havent seen much north of there. Watch the weather and be prepared to cancel your trip at the last minute. Good luck

What about early November? Anybody hunted then? If so, what what it like for you then in regards to weather, road, bou? Thanks for any and all info! Have an Arctic Oven tent and stove.

Late october and the haul road with a new hunter? No way! Its great your wife is intrested but there is no better way to kill that interest than misserably conditions and rutty meat! Take her on a nice spring hunt for that Bou.

Skrat
    November hunt? hope you enjoy hours of darkness punctuated by cold and high winds.......doable but it takes a "special" kind of hunter to enjoy a November north slope hunt!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

I harvested my first caribou on November 10th. As has been said in the past be prepared for lots of darkness and cold. We slept in truck, it didnt shut off for 4 days because it was so cold. It is very possible but the road is extremely dangerus and there is not a lot of civilian traffic up there at that time to lend a hand the truckers are great but they are working and i dont want to bother them doing there thing. We killed two on that trip, both cows and they tasted great. So just be very prepared if you going to go up there that time of year.

I am curious how far down the caribou will have traveled down by November. Had a very limited taste of some caribou stalking up north b/n pump station 3 and happy valley, but with the bow cert not complied with i was more along as a pack mule. Needless to say the caribou bug has bitten me and I can't wait to be off chasing those bad boys again. Was thinking of trying out again after some around that time of the year but i haven't been able to much any info on how far south they tend to travel. Not asking for a certain hill or stand location, more or less a general area where a couple of guys could glass, drink a few cold ones and enjoy the Alaskan beauty. Thanks for any help that comes my way and thanks alot more for all the info that I've taken from the forum already and could never repay you guys and gals for.

There are some rental cabins in Wiseman that make for a great home base at night when the weather is cold. You can plug in your truck, sleep in until 7 or 8 and still be around caribou at first light. Don't sacrifice warmth for a caribou. If your shivering, go warm up and try again. No caribou is worth frostbite or hypothermia. Practice shooting with all your cold weather gear on, it's a totally different experience.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I would just wait until spring,when the weather turns, hunting up there in mid winter sucks. good luck if u plan on going.

I've hunted the haul road in November and December, took bou both times. I Drove all the way to Prudhoe in December. It isn't that bad if you're prepared for it. It's cold, you're north of the Arctic Circle. It's dark, your in Alaska, north of the Arctic Circle. The roads suck, your in Alaska, north of the Arctic Circle, in the winter. Some of the best advice I can give you is get a CB. The truckers appreciate you a lot more if you can talk to them and tell them where you are and what direction you're driving. I've found that if you're prepared for the conditions,(tire chains, plenty of fuel, plenty of food and plenty of cold weather gear) hunting up there in the winter is pretty good. Not many people up there that time of year. Having said that, it can also turn into a life or death situation quickly up there in the winter. BE PREPARED for anything.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Where can you even get a CB in anchorage. Never had one in a vehicle.

Default CB

Try Radio Shack. Truckers will be on Ch. 19.