Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOAA Fisheries bycatch report

Default NOAA Fisheries bycatch report

Mind blowing just looking at the Halibut bycatch numbers. I can't fathom the lack of thought that has gone into the reduction mentality as it relates to charter and sportfishing.

Read it and weep....

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/by_catch/BR...a%20Region.pdf

Just a small sample...

Pg 237.....1,115,761 pounds of Halibut as BYCATCH
    Pg 249......2,997,566 #'s
    Pg 259......1,687,083 #'s
    Pg 265......1,261,355 #'s

Those are just bycatch from particular areas...P. 300: TOTAL Pacific Halibut Bycatch: 15,297,086.32 lbs.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Those are just bycatch from particular areas...P. 300: TOTAL Pacific Halibut Bycatch: 15,297,086.32 lbs.
    Yup...it blows my mind how 15 MILLION pounds is bycatch but the focus is on sportsman.

Agreed. Something needs fixing. And the whole commercial vs. sportfish allocation issue is only part of it....that all this high quality product is simply wasted is just staggering.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Agreed. Something needs fixing. And the whole commercial vs. sportfish allocation issue is only part of it....that all this high quality product is simply wasted is just staggering.
    Agreed. They oughta' be paying us for "bycatch IFQ's", afterall their impacts directly affect our fish and us.

Now there's an idea! Along with the commercial license is a required bycatch IFQ...and the money they pay to catch their bycatch is used to process, rather than dump, all the halibut/salmon/rockfish/etc., which would then be distributed to food banks throughout AK and the lower 48 States. The cost of the IFQ's would force the commercial boats to fish more cleanly (presumably), equalling less bycatch overall and potentially more liberal distribution to the sportfish sector, and the meat would go to good use.

I suppose it's a pipe-dream, but a pretty **** good one!

When I chartered I would say my average take in Halibut per year was close to 24'000 lbs, so if the bycatch was cut in half then split between charters and longliner the split would let over 200 6pac charters take 6 people for 60 days and keeping 2 fish per person and there would be a million pound buffer!!! Thats sick

Only way to reduce bycatch is to hit them in the pocket book. Tell them they have to process the bycatch, freeze it and bring it back to port. Then pay to ship it to food banks around the country. The loss of profitable fish space on the boat would go down and these guys would figure out a way to not have any bycatch.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Only way to reduce bycatch is to hit them in the pocket book. Tell them they have to process the bycatch, freeze it and bring it back to port. Then pay to ship it to food banks around the country. The loss of profitable fish space on the boat would go down and these guys would figure out a way to not have any bycatch.
    This is exactly what I have said, MAKE them retain it, but don't let them sell it. Betcha they find a way to reduce it PDQ!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Great Idea, but I think most by catch would be thrown over, never to be seen again, unless every commercial boat out there had an observer on it and we know the state will cry poverty if suggested to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    This is exactly what I have said, MAKE them retain it, but don't let them sell it. Betcha they find a way to reduce it PDQ!

....or "give" it to the commercial guy holding an IFQ. Thereby reducing his IFQ by the same amount. Imagine if the commercial guy never had to gas up his boat, or pay his crew to continue to make a living. The bycatch would be reduced even more......not just Halibut either.

I AM NOT anti-commercial and don't wish to see good men starve. There HAS to be a better way that's more equitable for all. imo

Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    ....or "give" it to the commercial guy holding an IFQ. Thereby reducing his IFQ by the same amount. Imagine if the commercial guy never had to gas up his boat, or pay his crew to continue to make a living. The bycatch would be reduced even more......not just Halibut either.

I AM NOT anti-commercial and don't wish to see good men starve. There HAS to be a better way that's more equitable for all. imo
    Now that is a fun idea, make the guys "by catching" pass the fish off to a fisherman with IFQ. That guy does not have to leave the dock and still makes his money, nice plan. I would vote for it.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Red face observers

Quote Originally Posted by salmon_bone View Post
    Great Idea, but I think most by catch would be thrown over, never to be seen again, unless every commercial boat out there had an observer on it and we know the state will cry poverty if suggested to do so.
    This would not be an unheard of step to take.

In a poverty-stricken part of Mexico 20-some years ago, I witnessed commercial fishermen heading out in their 20-some foot open boats. Each of them never knew until the last possible moment if they, or maybe their compadre next boat over were going to host an unpaid passenger for that trip - a policeman armed with a fully automatic rifle.

I asked what the guns were all about and was told that it was to ensure that too-small shrimp were not harvested.

But the boats without armed policemen did in fact keep some too-small shrimp - that's what they fed their families, when possible. I saw this too.

I've never heard this talked about nor have ever read about it. But I did see it.

I would say making them process the bycatch for every fish that comes on board even if we have to put observers on every boat (room and board at the boat's expense) would be a fair solution. Publish practices for survivable release and issue fines for not using them when they come up with a way to not pull them "on the boat". Make the product available only to Fed or State government at no or below market set price.
    Great ideas Nick and Polar!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post

Yeah Thats a good idea. However I'm thinking a halibut in the cod end of a trawl would be surimi by the time it hit the slime table. Not much value there.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

How about just making all the trawlers and the like have IFQ's for the halibut they catch. They would have to buy the IFQ's on the open market.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    I would say making them process the bycatch for every fish that comes on board even if we have to put observers on every boat (room and board at the boat's expense) would be a fair solution. Publish practices for survivable release and issue fines for not using them when they come up with a way to not pull them "on the boat". Make the product available only to Fed or State government at no or below market set price.
    Great ideas Nick and Polar!
    Mike
    This would be perfect for community service.
    Trade community service hours for being an observer....

Quote Originally Posted by salmon_bone View Post
    This would be perfect for community service.
    Trade community service hours for being an observer....
    Having Criminals keeping tabs on a dragger would be the ultimate example of a fox guarding a henhouse.

I'd much prefer to see the observer program modified in some fashion as an Apprenticeship for NMFS/USFWS/CoastGuard/Law Enforcement application. Put folks who WANT to make a difference on those boats, not folks who are there as a form of punishment, they'd be easy pickings for bribes from the owners of the boats.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Yeah Thats a good idea. However I'm thinking a halibut in the cod end of a trawl would be surimi by the time it hit the slime table. Not much value there.
    Jeff,
    They can get rid of turtles out of trawls with a grid down in the throat of the net, they are called turtle extruders. Its a large grate that blocks the net down in the throat(extension) when a turtle slides down the net he/she hits the grate and slides out the top of the net while the shrimp and fish keep moving back to the bag. They even have to use chains to block scallop dredges so the turtles don't get caught in them. If those offshore guys wanted to they can build nets to dump the halibut out of them and i'd bet they could even do something to get rid of a good number of the kings. Yeah it would be a pain in the arse to use them but it's better than being put out of business or cut so far back that it doesn't make money sense to fish. I personally hate draggers, they rape and plunder the ocean killing thousands of tons of good fish(bycatch) that gets run out the scuppers dead just trying to catch a few tons of the target fish. Not to mention plowing up the bottom if they are bottom draggers the midwater guys just kill a lot of good fish. Imagine what a good sized midwater boat or one set of pairs(pair trawler) could do in front of Ester?? One maybe two passes and every fish would be gone. Years ago i saw what the pairs can do to a wonderful fishery we had back east(weakfish/sea trout), the pairs killed it in one day. Those fish have never come back like they were.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast