Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x39 hunting round data

Default 7.62x39 hunting round data

I have been looking to reload some rounds to hunt with whats the heaviest round able to fly from an ak, powder load data
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I have been looking to reload some rounds to hunt with whats the heaviest round able to fly from an ak, powder load data
    what you hunting with that round? man?
    Semper Fi!

4 legged creatures preferably, I'd like to use it to shoot close range stuff ya know like a 30-30's capible of. I've known of many moose and elk getting taken with the old model 94 why couldn't an ak do the same, mores better right
    Μολών λαβέ

4 legged creatures preferably, I'd like to use it to shoot close range stuff ya know like a 30-30's capible of. I've known of many moose and elk getting taken with the old model 94 why couldn't an ak do the same, mores better right
    i believe it could. i got a ak we should start a ak hunting club.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    i believe it could. i got a ak we should start a ak hunting club.
    not a bad idea there g3 although these ar guys would complain cuz their guns don't shoot big enough loads
    Μολών λαβέ

not a bad idea there g3 although these ar guys would complain cuz their guns don't shoot big enough loads
    my ar does. speaking a g3 i would like to start a g3 hunting club
    Semper Fi!

Took an elk with an SKS years ago after I was robbed and left gun-less right before hunting season. I just slapped some 150g flat nose 30/30 lead on 7.62x39s and it did as good as a 30/30 but slightly less accurate, plenty accurate for it’s elk killin range though. Other than the stupid 5 round magazine jamming it worked just fine . . . they fed like butter from the stock SKS mag. That “hunting mag was junk. Chest shot him and he went 50 yards and sat down, head shot from 10 feet ended the pain. I was surprised just how effective it was so I can vouch for 150s on elk, should do same to moose..
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

One of the flattest elk rounds I've ever seen was a 130 out of a 270
    Μολών λαβέ

A buddy had an Encore barrel made in 7.62x39 "just to see what it would do." I don't know if he's ever tried heavier bullets on anything larger, but his load with 125 grain Sierras just whapped the snot out of deer. No idea what combo and velocity, but he could often break half inch with the 22" barrel and it seemed plenty flat for his needs.

Nah, but changing uppers to shoot 375 grain TSX bullets is neat...

I had a little CZ microbolt chambered for 7.62x39. This was the lightest and shortest centerfire bolt rifle I've ever owned. It was extremely fast and accurate It liked the 31 caliber bullets the best if i recall. for some reason, I think the bullets for most guns chambered for this round prefer 31 caliber bullets. I think the mini-30 was the only one that would take both the .308 and the .312 bullets. I never did shoot anything with it but I do still have a bunch of 125 grain speer hot cors left if anybody wants them. The young shooter that now owns my old micro bolt has shot deer and wild hogs with it last I heard.
    If you should go for heavier bullets, go for the .31 caliber bullets designed for the 303 british.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Nah, but changing uppers to shoot 375 grain TSX bullets is neat...
    Now your talking but I was speaking of a pewny little 556. Heres another for ya along the same lines, the ammo single stacks down a factory mag, I'd like to do a little one in an sbr,
    http://www.sbrammunition.com/458rifle.html
    Hey mainer what ya take on the lead
    Μολών λαβέ

Now your talking but I was speaking of a pewny little 556. Heres another for ya along the same lines, the ammo single stacks down a factory mag, I'd like to do a little one in an sbr,
    http://www.sbrammunition.com/458rifle.html
    That's what I was talkin' about....

Don't make me mention the 'wulf and the bushy too

Options abound with the AR. **Psst--7.62x39 also...

*psst*I still like them ak's, fall in the mudhole dig it out and clean the tube with a fresh round bet the ar wouldn't like that very well
    Μολών λαβέ

I'll bet it'd be just the same. Untaped muzzle and whatever stick you're carrying is going to be in a world of hurt. I'm unsure how an AR with a chambered round, safety on, and dust cover closed would succumb to a bit of mud while an AK wouldn't.

Here's a decent DDM4 test. Its worth watching even if just to see how the Aimpoint survives. I know my wife thinks Larry Vickers is annoying but there is no denying what he knows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfojMy1MWok&feature=player_embedded

here's a pretty interesting site you guys might find of use, http://www.brassfetcher.com/7.62x39m...t%20Point.html
    Μολών λαβέ

In my opinion-- for what that's worth, to those who do not know me-- I started keeping my IZMASH AK around the cook tent. Usually she, the cook, would spend a lot of time alone while I am out keeping an eye on the rest of the group, Anyway in the past I had an 870 for the chore of keeping those mean ole bear away from our food and camp. For a skinny 6' Swiss girl, the cook, a 12 ga. shotgun just moved her around too much. So a few years ago I started taking my AK, for the reasons that-- it does not kick, never- ever hangs up, has 30 shots, for the air, ground, noise and fire coming out of the end to scare the BEAST away. And after 10 tries you still have 20 more shots if worst comes to worst.
    A .30 caliber, even a short one, has a lot of H.P. and with the right combination of new powders and bullets works well. Have seen quite a few brown bear and, a couple of Siberian tigers killed by an AK-47, I worked on "project tiger" in the Russian far-east back in the 80's.
    Normally used a .300 mag or a .458 When I was guiding bear hunts- a long time ago. Guess what I am saying is-- I trust the AK, and 7.62X39 -- again, shot placement is still the "key"--BUT that extra 20 shots makes a big difference, if need be.
    They also make a 12 ga. "SAIGA" that is way too much fun!!! and a killer on wood ducks and wild pigs!
    Just my thoughts--
    Have fun an be safe!!
    Goo

Saiga 12's ya got one of them too shoots just like the ak's, fasssst,
    Μολών λαβέ

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will... My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit... My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will... Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Semper Fi!

Well said SIR-- It is much the same passion as I feel with my knife- after a while it feels as another appendage.
    Goo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast