Thread: kodiak buff

Question kodiak buff

I heard yesterday from a customer that there is a 200,000 acre ranch on Kodiak Island that has around 32,000 Bison, that are hunted more or less on a free ranging status. Is this for real? If it is, talk about some pricey meat. I've hunted on several extremely large buffalo ranches, but nothing with this kind of numbers.

That ranch has been going on for a while, they even have elk, there was an article about it in "ALASKA" Magazine last year. Theres a church in North Pole that are selling raffle tickets for a single hunt drawing, I hear that herd (bison) is fairly tame, but what do you expect from a ranch hunt, Sorry , Not my kind of hunt, Its a privately owned herd,it might be a free range ranch, but I hear they control the movement of those bison, unlike the wild bison down near Delta and throughout other parts of Alaska........K

As for the 200,000 acre ranch, I can't say. There's quite a few Bison here on the Island, but I wouldn't say there were anywhere near 32,000. From what I understand there are 2 different herds owned by 2 different people. I'm petty sure they just so where ever they want...I've been delayed with them standing in the road before. As for Elk, there's none on the Island here, you have to go to Afognak Island for that. Here's a link to a newspaper article recently....

http://www.kodiakdailymirror.com/?pid=19&id=4394
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Default Bison on Kodiak Island

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    I heard yesterday from a customer that there is a 200,000 acre ranch on Kodiak Island that has around 32,000 Bison, that are hunted more or less on a free ranging status. Is this for real? If it is, talk about some pricey meat. I've hunted on several extremely large buffalo ranches, but nothing with this kind of numbers.
    Dog-

I believe the total number of bison in the entire state of Alaska numbers in the low hundreds, meaning that the total numbers on Kodiak are something less than that. The distribution of bison on Kodiak is currently being discussed among several groups, including the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. My understanding is that there are two ranchers out there who are raising bison instead of cattle, because the bison do a better job of defending themselves against brown bears. One of the issues being discussed is fencing the animals into a smaller area, so they don't wander out into Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge. Some limited "shooting" (I would hardly call it hunting) of these animals is allowed by private arrangement with the rancher involved. I don't know the cost. I have a friend who offers this service to his hunters for a fee, but again, he's not offering it as a bison hunt, it's more akin to slaughtering a beef. Still, if you're interested, his name is Frank Ferro and he can be reached at Ferroalaska Guides and Outfitters. Yes, on his website bison is included under "hunts", but Frank will tell you that this is mostly a shoot.

Best Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

i think maybe the buffalo range over that much land, but i'd guess theres only 200 or so, i'm sure the numbers are handy somewhere, the island only has an estimated 3000 bears so 32,000 buffalo, well you can picture that.
    As for the elk, there is a private herd out the road a ways but they keep them penned up, cause in the regs remainder of unit 8 has an elk season..and baby if some of those bulls go out!! oahhhhhh man i'd shoot one! geez big bulls down on the ranch there, but they've got gates and survelance cameras and the whole nine yards. looks kinda spooky.
    I think you can shoot one of those buff for like three grand, cheaper than a flyout moose hunt for the residents on kodiak and more meat, less hastle and better meat as well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Talking buff...rebuff

Thanks guys. I knew you folks would have the answers, and I kinda figured it would be a little different (32,000), but it still sounds like there's a problem brewing...private bison free ranging? I'm not interested in that particular hunt (I agree Mike...it's really not a hunt, but a shoot) because we go every year down here for some fun and great tasting meat. We know it's not a hunt, and make no bones about it...but even in the past, it's never been MUCH of a hunt, but today, if one wants a trophy to mount and great meat, it's about all we have left, short of a few free-ranging hunts that are next to impossible to draw on. And for free-ranging, everyplace has a fence around it somewhere...either fenced in or fenced out. Kinda like getting far away from someplace to only get closer to somewhere else. I'm just finishing 4 monster bulls and that's what brought this conversation on...kinda like, these are great but you shoulda seen the ones we seen. You know the drill.

the bog passed a proposal to allow the taking of feral bison on kodiak....
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default buff on Kodiak

While I don't know what the arangements are when you shoot a buffalo on Kodiak, but they are very free ranging, in other words, they aren't trapped behind a fence. I think they stay in the general area of the ranch for the feed they get. I've seen them in some pretty tough country on Kodiak, which would be tougher to get than the "free range" buffalo in Delta that you shoot out of the farmers' fields. They definitely aren't trapped behind a fence and neither are most of the cattle if you've ever been to Kodiak.

And as for elk, there have been some elk make it to Kodiak from Afognak and Raspberry, probably swam to Whale Is and across Whale Pass the same as deer do. I've heard rumors of elk on Kodiak for over 20 years. Fish and Game doesn't want them to get established and has a liberal hunt for any that might have made it. A friend who still lives on Kodiak told me that a couple years ago at least two bulls were killed in the Saltery Creek area.

I hunted Wild Creek (W of Saltery) this past Oct and there were bison tracks and piles everywhere--some of them are definitely free ranging.