Thread: Knik area goats

Default Knik area goats

I was wondering if anyone has ever hunted the registration goats up the Jim's Creek area behind Swan lake or so. Looks like it might open up next month and was thinking about going on a hike and hope to find one.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has ever hunted the registration goats up the Jim's Creek area behind Swan lake or so. Looks like it might open up next month and was thinking about going on a hike and hope to find one.

Rob
    whats the hunt #

You want access any on a hike, you can get a flight over pretty cheap by todays standards, from a few guys out of Palmer. The area gets hit pretty hard by both guides and locals.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...tfile_id=11443
    here's the f&g page for the hunt. it's a large area to hunt so you have plenty of options. there's definitely places to walk in from but it certainly will be difficult. saw a few goats a couple weeks ago down pretty low just after wolf point. from what I've heard though, grasshopper valley is the place to be for goats.

Grasshopper valley? Really? I thought that was bear country? I have a buddy that's gonna fly me around and take a look. I'm not expecting a lot out of it, just a little hunt for the fun of it and a chance at a goat.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Grasshopper valley? Really? I thought that was bear country? I have a buddy that's gonna fly me around and take a look. I'm not expecting a lot out of it, just a little hunt for the fun of it and a chance at a goat.
    good luck, I really want to go chase one one day. if i didn't have 2 bison hunts & a kodiak trip next month I'd offer to come just to help & take video. them goats are a tuff bunch.

Well, I'll trade ya hunts... HA HA Thanks for the offer. Be sure to post your hunts on here too.

I chased some sheep up grasshopper during the first week of the season, didn't see any goats bput saw some sheep and a LOAD OF BLACK bears...

If your going in to grasshopper,Me and my hunting partner will be there trying to fill his tag,we will be there the 13 of October and this will be are first hunt on that side of the valley, if it's like the other side,expect to have some company,we had plenty of that this earlier this month!!!