Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duck Lake Heads Up......

Default Duck Lake Heads Up......

Well, it looks like the lazy guy is back out by the battleship/piano blind, leaving his decoys out last night and showed up this morning right at shooting time. So don't waste time coming over to the east end of the marsh, I am guessing it will be dominated through Sunday by the decoy leaver outer and there will probably be more because this one hunter is setting a precidence for leaving decoys out for a long period of time. I hope someone doesn't set up in the dark and set up too close to him or there could be some unnecessary conflict out there. In the end, his actions will lead to what no one wants, more regulation.
    Just saying.........

Again, I am not going to argue anymore on if it is "right" or not. But for those that support this type of hunting/activity, please answer this one question:

If an unknowing hunter sets up 50 yards away in the dark and has no idea there are decoys out, and the hunter who leaves decoys out for days at a time shows up at shooting time who has to move?

Please don't answer, "ask him to join you", not what I want to do if I am spending some time with my kids out there.

BTW, if I am the guy setting up in the dark, I am not moving. I am not looking for conflict, just telling you how it is.

I wouldn't be moving either to not crowd any decoy leaver outer, if I truly did not know there were blocks left out overnight or whatever timeframe. Good luck to you and your kids.

Many years ago(around 1970), in WA state, I hunted Potholes res. All sand dunes with waterways thoughout, very popular area to hunt. I was out in my choosen spot 2 hrs before light, setting deks and building a blind. A hour or so later I saw some flashlights from another island quite close, and shined lights back at them so they would know where I was. They stayed, I stayed. As it became light, I could see tents etc. They had set up the day before and camped, and I had not seen them. We both had a miserable day shooting at each others birds and being really grouchy. After driving 4-5 hrs to get there, my hunt was miserable. I blamed them, as I am sure they blamed me. Looking back, if I had used that first hour to move my setup, I think we both could have had a plesant remainder of the day.

Your example is a little bit different. I'm still pretty hard headed and would be tempted to blast a couple unattended deks so they may realize it will cost them to do it again. Then I would find another site, so as to have a plesant day hunting without competition right next to me. To sit there and hunt and be pi$$ed all day is not what I call fun. Bud
    Bud
    Wasilla

Banned

First of all don't set up in the dark as one of the biggest myths of duckin' is you have to be there early. You should move. All you guys are really worried about it how many ducks you bust instead of the experience. that is why that one dude gets there 2 hours before shooting time or slept in his boat on the nite before opening day. You cry babies are a joke! go back to the lower 48 ....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if it was the lesser 49 states the decoys would be stolen and promptly posted on craigslist. but your probably right, we should wait until the sun is out in all its glory to see if some decoys may be close to us that are unattended due to being left out so we have a better time without infringing on some body elses good time. I will gladly suffer a little so you can enjoy a lot, the alaskan way right.

Banned

Another thing I notice is what must be newbies leaving equipment at the landing. Last evening there was a mud motor lightly chained to the back of a pickup. Also an expensive looking dog kennel and some other stuff in another truck when I arrived from down the creek. There were some real supecious characters, meth head types hanging around the landing eyeing up those items. I acted like I know some of the folks in the trucks and made up some stuff about that. I was going to call the police, but no crime had been committed, yet. Then I had to leave. I wanted to call some of the owners for a heads up, but had no #'s.

Yukon,
    On the 2nd or 3rd day off the season out on dl me and my buddy set up an hour or 2 early because unlike ownerstate we like to be there early and take our time setting up. After we set all of our decoys and everything up not even 10 mins prior too shooting time a boat came up and set up super close. Me and my buddy couldn't believe it and we both hunted our spots and didn't do any good. Come to find out they were set up there the night prior. That is my biggest concern is that there is so much area to hunt out there that I would never set up right next to someone but by them having there deeks there the night before we had absolutely no way of telling they were already there

Banned

What do you do, type this on a Blackberry right from the lake??? Scheechhhhhhhhh!!!!

What a world, What a world.

Ownerstate,
    Thanks for the heads up, I never try to leave anything in the back of my truck except my kennel if I bring it. Kind of sucks because I drive a little truck and really have nowhere to put the kennel

Banned

An Alakan bumber sticker during the pipeline days read: "HAPPINESS is a TEXAN headed south with an Okie under each arm."

Quote Originally Posted by ownerstate View Post
    An Alakan bumber sticker during the pipeline days read: "HAPPINESS is a TEXAN headed south with an Okie under each arm."
    You cry babies are a joke! go back to the lower 48 ....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great argument, telling people go to back to the lower 48, thanks for the laugh.

it will be funny when the lazy duck hunter shows up and there are decoys in his spot. It is kinds nice when you are the only one doing it, it won't be so fun when more guys do it. Not the marsh I want to see. If everyone or a bunch of hunters start reserving spots with decoys it will get ugly out there.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Great argument, telling people go to back to the lower 48, thanks for the laugh.

it will be funny when the lazy duck hunter shows up and there are decoys in his spot. It is kinds nice when you are the only one doing it, it won't be so fun when more guys do it. Not the marsh I want to see. If everyone or a bunch of hunters start reserving spots with decoys it will get ugly out there.
    Moose hunters pitch a tent to reserve a spot...What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    A tent doesn't reserve anything. I am not saying I would go hunt that area, but a tent reserves that tent's area, not the valley around it or general hunting area, just ask some of the moose hunters that responded in similar threads in the big game hunting forum. That is like me leaving a tent out that the marsh and expecting people to stay out of the marsh. Leaving decoys out for 4 days in a row is not a camping spot that is occupied.
    What if a moose hunter pitches a tend and doesn't camp there, only leaves it to come back later and setup a bigger camp, and another hunter comes in sees an empty tent and camps there or camps near by because they didn't see the tent and didn't hear or see any other hunters in the area, then the guy who pitched the tent shows up two day's later wanting 'his" spot, even though the other party had no idea the first group had just left a tent to reserve a spot?

Banned

Naw, the lazy ones are the ones that want to cruise down there and expect to get their spot everytime they go. That is why some go down there flushing and scareing the ducks 2 hours before shooting time and why many choice birds fly out to Knik and elsewhere for the day. Leaving decoys is a duck shoot as if the strong Mat glacier winds come up all your stools will be blown god knows where not to mention the many muskrats that chew the decoys and lines. Why is it a laugh? Many won't be here is a few years. Duck hunting is also a current American FAD like fly Fishing was in the 90's.

I don't expect my spot everytime I go, if I did that I would leave my decoys out there all weekend or season. Just want a fair shot at getting a spot and don't want to see all the hunters begin to leave decoys out becasue they feel they need to in order to get a spot. Lazy is leaving your decoys out all weekend, driving out at shooting time, scaring ducks that are there and expecting everyone to stay away from you because your decoys are there.
    BTW, duck hunting is not a fad for me, been at it for over 30 years myself.

Leave your decoys out by all means thats your right. i know where they are and I know how to avoid them. I'll show up early enough to get setup and kill my birds. I actually do better when someone sets up on the east end of the marsh. everyone isn't gonna start doing this because 95% of us hunt it one or 2 days a week. its not his spot he us just using it this weekend. heck wait till he is done and then hunt it. `If one of us was there first then he woulda had to go elsewhere. I have a spot out there that I call "MY" spot but if i show up and someone is there then tough luck i'll go somewhere else out there. There is SO mush area out there. Yea its anoying if you find someone left deeks out and now your to close. Easy fix, I do a bout a 200yard circle around the shoreline where I hunt. it takes a extra 10 minutes and ensures that i get a good hunt in. on top of that this guy hunts the same area every day so at least you know where he will be. give him that area and you dont have to worry about him setting up on top of you like some guys like to do. Funny thing is the north end of the lake and also the end with the easiest access hasn't been getting hunted at all and the last 4 times I have come out there has been over 100 birds hanging out up there. Just saying if you shoot them every day in the same spot they will move and then you should too. Never have been a fan of per blinds and leaving decoys out because birds get use to it and avoid those areas. be felxible and try new areas. I promise you will kill more birds and enjoy more of what the marsh has to offer. This bickering is getting old. it took me one weekend to figure out thats where the guy goes and adapt. And if its who i think it is thats doing this then in my eyes he has more of a claim to the marsh then most of us do. I could be wrong but i dont think i am.
    Enjoy the weekend, it should be good.
    Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    I was being a smart @ss... I think it's crazy when people think that they can "RESERVE" a spot. They act like it's the local Holiday Inn or something....

I also forgot to add that you (ownerstate) have no reason to compain about the time people arive in the marsh. Given that I do not leave my decoys out and I hunt a large spread I like to give myself ample time to setup. I bump less birds in the dark then i do in the pre dawn hours. I can drive right up to birds before they fly in the dark but anything within 100 yards makes them move out when there is a little bit of light.
    You want people to understand you leaving deeks out then you need to understand that not everyone does that. you argued on a previous thread that there are no laws against leaving your decoys out and you and I both agree that there shouldn't be. There is also not a law governing what time people can head into the swamp and I think we agree that there shouldn't be. A little bit of live and let live will do a LONG way out there.
    it starts with a law against leaving your decoys out over night and next thing you know you can't be there till 6 you have to be gone by noon, you can't use motors, you can't use mojo's ect ect ect.
    live and let live so we can keep ADF&G out of this.

Sad thing is the is by far the BEST year I have ever seen as far as duck numbers and the most bi***ing I have ever seen

alot of the people bsing cant get over to the other flats where you go. ownerstate has 29 posts and not making any friends anytime soon ha ha. if you guys want to see strict regs go to the minnesota dnr and check out the regs for there. then you will stop complaining real quick. first off this was the first season in a long time where they can actually start half hour b4 sun rise.. it was normally a 9am opener. for the first two weeks you have to be off the water by 2 or 4 pm. cant use mojos for the first 2 weeks, you can set decoys out a hour before shooting time (try doing that with 4 diver lines and 60 single decoys), can only shoot 2 hen malllards which down their colors about the same for the first few weeks. you have to be able to identify the difference between a eclipes ringer and bluebill while they are flying through the decoys a mach 10. There will always be people complaining no matter what the rules are there is no way to make everyone happy. You will have people who leave decoys out and people who will get out there at 2am like me and set decoys up throw up a blinking blue light to let people know you are there and take a nap till its about shooting time. The thread was just supposed to let people know there is a guy there would you rather not know that info and end up setting up by him and not knowing it.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

What do you do, type this on a Blackberry right from the lake??? Scheechhhhhhhhh!!!!

What a world, What a world.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast