Thread: How unlucky can you get in a morning

Smile How unlucky can you get in a morning

Okay last saterday I decided to do a little road hunt when I got off work. 6 am I left work and decided to go down Chena Hot springs. Well I crossed over the chena river on nordale and drove past a spike, I was 40 yards from him but couldnt see through my sight (Tang site on sharps rifle) so I waited and waited for over an hour the bull just stood there but as daylight came he stepped into woods and never found him.
    I Decided to push foward to the Hot springs road saw alot of cars and hunters as I expected and I said to myself well anything can happen and bam 2 40 inch bulls were standing along side the road. I pulled over grabbed the rifle walked off the road and was like crap cant shoot (stood right behind one another) or I would take 2 moose with 1 shot, being like they where approx 50 yards away. Soon they walked into the woods and I sware they even stayed in step and like they rehersed it never once giving me a shot where you wouldnt for sure hit both animals, so i tried to follow them but they changed direction and started to cross a creek. I ran about 50 yards to hopefully catch them crossing and the second bull stopped and stood there. Well for those of you who have carried a sharps know that when you run and suddenly stop to aim its almost impossible to hold the weapon steady and well I missed in fact i missed so bad he didnt even run, he just looked at me and walked into the brush never to be seen agian.
    I couldnt believe it and replay in my head but the risk was to great to kill one while possibly wounding another so I had to let them go.

wiso_67, I think the Indian word for poor hunter is vegitarian???
    Just kidding, seems like when we restrict ourselves to certain types of weapons ( like archery eq ) we have to live with the fact that some opportunites just don't work out - sounds like a fun morning even if it was frustrating! Old Quigly woulda just shot one of the "twins" between the eyes and called it a day!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Did you ever attempt calling ? A cow call likely would have had that spike present itself favorably. A cow call, grunt or scrape may have given you a better chance at one of those bigger guys. I have been impressed with how effective a quick grunt or cow call can be, it has stocked my freezer a few times.

Sorry to hear of the missed opportunities.

Ya know Wiso, in many ways you are more lucky than you may realize right now. You got out hunting, you got some action, had opportunities, and made many of the right decisions. Sure, dropping a legal moose is fantastic, but walking away with just memoroes is so, so much better than being saddled with a sub-legal bull and a visit to the trooper or wounding a second moose. I wish more of our "hunters" see the wisdom in your actions in this situation.
    Definately try those calls 338Win mentioned; bet you get that separation you need to make a clean shot next time out; good luck!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Okay last saterday I decided to do a little road hunt when I got off work. 6 am I left work and decided to go down Chena Hot springs. Well I crossed over the chena river on nordale and drove past a spike, I was 40 yards from him but couldnt see through my sight (Tang site on sharps rifle) so I waited and waited for over an hour the bull just stood there but as daylight came he stepped into woods and never found him.
    I Decided to push foward to the Hot springs road saw alot of cars and hunters as I expected and I said to myself well anything can happen and bam 2 40 inch bulls were standing along side the road. I pulled over grabbed the rifle walked off the road and was like crap cant shoot (stood right behind one another) or I would take 2 moose with 1 shot, being like they where approx 50 yards away. Soon they walked into the woods and I sware they even stayed in step and like they rehersed it never once giving me a shot where you wouldnt for sure hit both animals, so i tried to follow them but they changed direction and started to cross a creek. I ran about 50 yards to hopefully catch them crossing and the second bull stopped and stood there. Well for those of you who have carried a sharps know that when you run and suddenly stop to aim its almost impossible to hold the weapon steady and well I missed in fact i missed so bad he didnt even run, he just looked at me and walked into the brush never to be seen agian.
    I couldnt believe it and replay in my head but the risk was to great to kill one while possibly wounding another so I had to let them go.
    You saw three legal bulls in one day and you consider yourself unlucky?

Good to hear of people who are healthy enough in mind and ethics to not shoot. Nothing hurts more than using your rifle butt to wave goodbye.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Good choices and the chance to make those choices sounds like a good day to me! Congrats on that!
    Mike
    (Say, did anyone else hear about F&G's new robodecoys?)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    You saw three legal bulls in one day and you consider yourself unlucky?
    This was my thought as well...