Thread: Deer out of a Treestand?

Default Deer out of a Treestand?

Been playing around with the idea of buying a treestand and playing with it. Thought it might work out good for deer hunting if you setup on a muskeg that appeared to have fairly frequent activity, in combination with using trail cameras.

Anyone ever used a Treestand for Sitka Blacktails? Opinions?

Cameron Hanes uses them for Columbia Blacktails. If he can do it, anyone can, right... I've never even been in SE but my guess is yeah, that sounds like a great idea, especially in tandem with the other scouting techniques you mentioned.
    Go Big Red!

Seemed like if you found a good choke point/crossing somewhere it would work. Don't know why it wouldn't

(for full disclosure, I've hunted blacktail TWICE)

P.S. I'll bet BigHorse would like spending hours cooped up in a stand...seems right up his alley...

About 25 years ago my hunting partner and I built one in a remote area on the mainland near Ketchikan. We used available dead cedar poles and constructed it 15' off the ground in a stand of trees bordering a muskeg and also built a ladder to get into it. It was about 6' x 8'. We beach scrounged a fishing net to wrap around the frame and each wear we would add new brush in the net for camo. We didn't shoot a lot of deer from the stand but did fairly well over the years. We stopped using it 8 years ago when my buddy moved out of state. Two years ago my son and I went there to check it out and found age had finally taken its toll on the stand. We had a lot of fun building it and enjoyed hunting out of it.

Killed around 2 dozen whitetails from different stands. Love the climbing stands.
    Paul

I think you will do fine with a tree stand OneLunG, I have taken many whitetails from them - one point that may take some trial and error is I think most of your blacktail hunting will be in hilly to moutainous terrain? It may take a bit of time learning the wind currents for your best set up - I have had some real eye openers on stand placement over the years and terrain changes do some real funky things you can't always anticipate.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I have a tree stand that I'll be using in the Juneau area once the deer are forced lower in elevation by snow. I am planning to place it up a tree that looks down on a 10 ft wide cut that has been made through the trees defining the boundary between different goverment land-owners. I always see fresh tracks in the snow along this cut but have never seen a deer. Figure that if I can get up the tree before light I should see something walking down or across the cut come sun-rise. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by SE Alpine View Post
    I have a tree stand that I'll be using in the Juneau area once the deer are forced lower in elevation by snow. I am planning to place it up a tree that looks down on a 10 ft wide cut that has been made through the trees defining the boundary between different goverment land-owners. I always see fresh tracks in the snow along this cut but have never seen a deer. Figure that if I can get up the tree before light I should see something walking down or across the cut come sun-rise. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Yeah I'd be curious to hear how you do.

This spot on Douglas? Thats where I was thinking of trying, just for the pure fact that I don't have easy Island access.

I also think it could be good for Bear as well, especially during the fall when they're working streams.

Any time you can get a better view it will help! When the rut is on and calling from a tree stand it will keep big old brownie from jumping on top of you! One guy in southeast did not know its not good to cover your self with doe scent hide in some brush and blow a doe call. He fooled a big old bear and it not only killed him but defiended the kill!

Blacktails aren't whitetails. I personally don't think it would give you much of a tactical advantage and wouldn't want to be that tied down to one spot. I prefer to call, wait awhile, move a ways, repeat. But if you are specifically trying to bow hunt I would be more in favor of a tree stand. My .02.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    Blacktails aren't whitetails. I personally don't think it would give you much of a tactical advantage and wouldn't want to be that tied down to one spot. I prefer to call, wait awhile, move a ways, repeat. But if you are specifically trying to bow hunt I would be more in favor of a tree stand. My .02.
    I am looking to bowhunt, and the area right around Juneau gets quite a lot of pressure.

I'm more interrested in using it for fall bear hunting on a couple of streams, but like I said, have always wondered how it would work for deer.

I don't know if I'd have the patience to just sit there or not, as I like to move around quite a bit...

During the rut when the bucks are on the move used in cunjunction with a call could be productive. Throw a decoy down there (montance doe decoy) and good things could happen. I've tried just about everything except a treestand, don't have the patience for it and I like to be mobile.
    A friend uses a treestand here on POW bowhunting so it does work, just got to have the right place and the patience.

Don't forget your cough silencer and your butt-out tool to go along with that tree stand. I hear good things too if you plant a food plot. You can drive to it on your bad boy buggy. haha Just kidding.

Give it a try and report back. You never know what might wander by if you sit quietly and let nature do it's thing. Get some doe piss too and put it out during the rut.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    Do you use some sort of gadget to call with or just your voice? I've never really tried calling but my partners daughter once called in a deer as he was field dressing another. Once I came upon a buck I had been tracking who jumped into a thick alder patch, I gave kind of a bleat just to see what would happen and he jumped right back out and into my crosshairs. I really don't know what a deer call sounds like.
    If anything is going to happen, it'll happen out there.