Thread: Wolf Hunting (which Gun To Use)?

Default Wolf Hunting (which Gun To Use)?

Im Wondering What Gun To Bring?? Iv Got A 257 Weatherby Mag And A 22-250 Savage. My 257 I Know Is Long Range Over The 22-250 But The Ammo Is Not Cheap. I Think Its Ideal For Wolf At Long Range.

The 22-250 Is Good Up To About 25o Yards For A Clean Kill On Coyotes But Im Not Sure It Is Big Enough For A 95 To 150 Lb Wolf At That Range. Let Me Know What You Guys Think. It Would Be Appreciated. Thanks

probably because wolves are pretty freaking sneaky I would bring the gun that is longer range, I mean you aren't gonna shoot that many rounds really.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I dumped two in their tracks with a .270 win at about 100 yds.
    The longer range capabilities of the wby might come in handy in wide open conditions.

Default shoot them all!

You should use the rifle your most comfortable with shooting 100-200 yds. they both have plenty of knock down power with good shoot placement.

The cost is getting to the hunting grounds not the cost of a couple shells.

I don't care which rifle you use just shoot lots of them, heck for every wolf you kill I'll pay for your shells

Default shells

Yeah, I'll pay for the second box of shells. Shoot them all!

Of you paid a guy to fly me around in a helicopter the $150 bounty a wolf in areas will pay for your bullets. I think that would be an awesome job

Either rifle will kill wolf's. It really depends if you want to keep hides or not. My 257 Weatherby with a 75 grain bullets shoots well over 4000 ftps and leaves a huge hole when coming out. 22-250 does a wonderful job on coyotes. Both rifles will kill as far out as you care to shoot them. I shoot pop cans out at the high power range at 600 yards with my 22-250. I am not sure I could do that with my 257 Weatherby. I know I it will shoot a group of about 1 1/2 at 300 yards with 75 grain bullets. But I haven't taken it to the high power range yet. I would say shoot the rifle that you shoot the best. I love my 257 weatherby, but I also like alot of power when shooting things. Have fun with your shooting.

Default ...just dont go cheap

.... .270 would be the best choice...hornady ammo, bonded...punch a whole right through
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

My go to gun is my Mini-14 .223, upclose would be my .22 WMR. Won't mind trying out my son's 22-250 with a scope for long distances, would be neat to shoot them before they split up.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Ar15

AR15 with leupold 1.5x5x20 scope or trijicon ACOG or sprg.govt. BDC.

Use 64 grain winchester power points.

jedi

My .257 Roberts with 75 gr. V-Max is my favorite.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)