Thread: spruce hen in sutton area

Default spruce hen in sutton area

going to be heading out to palmer/sutton area this weekend looking for trails to cruze anyony had any luck out there? I have rode jim creek area but never sutton so Im not sure if it is worth it.Kid has a football game in palmer so I thought we'd give it a shot

man you guys are not wanting to respond to this thread.We ended up going up clark wolverine trail and getting one my 10 yr old made the shot it was great. talked to a lot of people there that said they are pretty thick usually but there was a lot of people because it was the last moose day

Quote Originally Posted by shawnmcalpin View Post
    man you guys are not wanting to respond to this thread.
    No offense, but there are a couple of factors that I see that would likely prevent you from getting a response. First, you're looking for specific hunting locations. Most hold on pretty tight to that information. They'll give you general areas, but not the specifics and it sounded like you already had the general area figured out. Secondly, and this may be less of a factor, but I'd say most of the folks on this forum don't "cruze" or ride trails for their birds. I'm not passing judgement or saying you are wrong for it, but from my perspective most of the people on this forum tend to work off trail for birds and several, if not most, work with dogs.

If you want to ask about what kind of habitat to look for, or behavior of small game, or have equipment questions you'll get plenty of help. A lot will even invite you to hunt with them. Just don't expect a lot of help on specific locations.

Tyler

buffalo mine road, out by sutton, lots of trails and gravel / dirt road there, shot allot of them buggers out there. good scenery too.
    Semper Fi!

I was just seeing if anyone had advise of avoiding private property or bad area's. not expexting people to give gps locations of were they saw there last grouse. there was nothing but no tresspassing signs for miles and miles couldn't get off and walk through the woods at all were I ended up wich is what I was trying to avoid. I dont have dogs so looking for them on thr grit was best option. thanks greythorn Mabye I'll give that a try sometime. Besides places like denali, petersville, and hatchers were can you find areas to hunt that your not always running into private land without a wheeler?

Not too many places in the core area that you won't run into that problem. Even places that seem to be on the fringe or "out there" are often private. matsugov.us is the borough website, they have a mapping resource that differentiates private and public land.

If you are looking for grouse then your best bet is to get out and walk. They can be found on trails but they like certain types of cover and if you go kick up those areas you will have a lot more success than just walking the same trails that everyone else does. Grab a mat-su area trails book from REI and start hiking. Once you get into likely cover, get off the trail and start kicking up birds!