View Poll Results: Why do you have a Suppressor?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hunting

    3 5.36%
  • Training

    4 7.14%
  • Collecting

    1 1.79%
  • SHTF

    4 7.14%
  • Someday I'd Like One

    27 48.21%
  • Don't Want One

    17 30.36%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Do Alaskans like Cans?

  1. #1
    Member kjsl105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    45

    Default Do Alaskans like Cans?

    How many of you have suppressors & why?

    Post pictures!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    So far we have run Thunderbeasts, Gemtechs, AACs, Surefires and DTAs (just arrived) out of here. I shoot a 1st generation Thunderbeast 30 on both 6.5 and 30 and it is more than quiet. Each can of course has its own advantages and disadvantages. I use it because I like to shoot and be polite

  3. #3
    Member kjsl105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I use it because I like to shoot and be polite
    Ah the courtesy factor, should've added that to the poll.

  4. #4
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    I am still waiting on the stamp for my Liberty Freedom (140 days and counting) and am excited to try it out. My idea was for a very quiet, low recoil rifle that could do double duty as a varmint / medium game gun that the entire family could shoot without hearing protection. I have a custom Remington Model 7 chambered in 300 BLK leaning against the wall ready to have the suppressor screwed onto its barrel....
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  5. #5
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    What's the current political climate and attitude and fees to get one in Anchorage? Do you still have to get probed by APD and pay their additional fees?

  6. #6
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    What's the current political climate and attitude and fees to get one in Anchorage? Do you still have to get probed by APD and pay their additional fees?
    Yeah… you will need to bring your own ball-gag, latex suit, spanking paddle, K-Y, Chains, hand-cuffs, Passport Photos ($35) APD application and a check for $150.

    Or, you could go the trust route and skip all of that… which is EXACTLY what I will be doing the next time I purchase an NFA item!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  7. #7
    Member kjsl105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Yeah… you will need to bring your own ball-gag, latex suit, spanking paddle, K-Y, Chains, hand-cuffs, Passport Photos ($35) APD application and a check for $150.

    Or, you could go the trust route and skip all of that… which is EXACTLY what I will be doing the next time I purchase an NFA item!
    Yup, trust or LLC is the simplest way to go about it.

  8. #8
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Of all the critters I've killed, not one has complained about how loud my guns are. When at the range, I expect guns to be loud.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjsl105 View Post
    Yup, trust or LLC is the simplest way to go about it.
    We have worked with an atty to devise a real (meaning actual estate planning/asset protection) trust that is usable with NFA stuff. Got one sitting down at BATF now. For the $200 you pay the atty, its well worth it.

  10. #10
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    We have worked with an atty to devise a real (meaning actual estate planning/asset protection) trust that is usable with NFA stuff. Got one sitting down at BATF now. For the $200 you pay the atty, its well worth it.
    $200 would be way worth it, but I was unable to find any in Anchorage that knew what the heck an NFA item was... Personaly I was planning on doing a Quicken trust and insterting my own NFA Language.

    Are you willing to provide contact information for your Atty?
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  11. #11
    Member kjsl105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    $200 would be way worth it, but I was unable to find any in Anchorage that knew what the heck an NFA item was... Personaly I was planning on doing a Quicken trust and insterting my own NFA Language.

    Are you willing to provide contact information for your Atty?
    True, lowest I've heard of was about $500.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjsl105 View Post
    True, lowest I've heard of was about $500.
    As soon as this particular Trust gets approved, I will post the name and phone number of the attorney

  13. #13
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    As soon as this particular Trust gets approved, I will post the name and phone number of the attorney
    Ha! I will look forward to hearing back from you sometime between now and April of 2012 then...
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  14. #14
    Member stevelyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Looking at getting one in the future.
    Now what ?

  15. #15
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    As soon as this particular Trust gets approved, I will post the name and phone number of the attorney
    Me first, me first....

  16. #16
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Me second

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Anyone actually pursue the "made in Alaska" exemption?

  18. #18
    Member kjsl105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    As soon as this particular Trust gets approved, I will post the name and phone number of the attorney
    Sounds like a plan. Looks like your attorney is gonna get some business out of here.

  19. #19
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Anyone actually pursue the "made in Alaska" exemption?
    LuJon, I am unaware of any made in Alaska "exemption"... If you plan to build a suppressor your self, then you submit it to BATF on a Form 1 along with your $200 for the tax stamp. If you plan to buy a suppressor, then you submit a Form 4 with your $200 tax stamp. Both will require either a CLEO sign off and background check along with photo's and fingerprints, or a Trust.

    Maybe you are talking about being an SOT FFL, in which case, you could become a "manufacture of Class II Items" and you would not have to pay the $200 tax on each one, however you WILL have to pay the appropriate SOT tax.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    LuJon, I am unaware of any made in Alaska "exemption"... If you plan to build a suppressor your self, then you submit it to BATF on a Form 1 along with your $200 for the tax stamp. If you plan to buy a suppressor, then you submit a Form 4 with your $200 tax stamp. Both will require either a CLEO sign off and background check along with photo's and fingerprints, or a Trust.

    Maybe you are talking about being an SOT FFL, in which case, you could become a "manufacture of Class II Items" and you would not have to pay the $200 tax on each one, however you WILL have to pay the appropriate SOT tax.
    I believe JuJon is referring to the fact that items not made for interstate commerce cannot be regulated by the federal government. Montana and a few other states were planning on dropping the FFL requirement for guns made in that state for sale in that state. Not sure if they ever went beyond advertising it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •