Thread: New to Alaska want to hunt

Default New to Alaska want to hunt

Hello, all
    Just got station up here like three ago month will all my trainingout the way would like to get out and hunt and enjoy the great outdoors here inAlaska. Been hunting since the age of twelve have hunter ed card just enrolledin the field day portion of the bow hunter safety program that is on Oct 29... also have read theAlaska hunting reg book over and over again i think a got it down pack but i know if i have any question i just call the co in that area.Got the green light to buy whatevery I need to go hunting from household six BUT STILL a lil bit nervous. I follow all the guide line and rules. Butthe point of all this is where can I go to get started. To hunt up here in Alaska.

ps.... have all the waepons for alaska 300wm z71 bow
    44 mag big game bucther kit and pack out back pack

Quote Originally Posted by gradybee View Post
    Hello, all
    Just got station up here like three ago month will all my trainingout the way would like to get out and hunt and enjoy the great outdoors here inAlaska. Been hunting since the age of twelve have hunter ed card just enrolledin the field day portion of the bow hunter safety program that is on Oct 29... also have read theAlaska hunting reg book over and over again i think a got it down pack but i know if i have any question i just call the co in that area.Got the green light to buy whatevery I need to go hunting from household six BUT STILL a lil bit nervous. I follow all the guide line and rules. Butthe point of all this is where can I go to get started. To hunt up here in Alaska.

ps.... have all the waepons for alaska 300wm z71 bow
    44 mag big game bucther kit and pack out back pack

Where ya stationed at???
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Where ya stationed at???

Like stud asked. Where are you stationed at? That will make all the difference in the world on getting you pointed in the correct direction.

Additionally, if you had to name two or three priorities while you're up here, what would they be? What animals do you dream of hunting, or would you be happy just being in the woods with the possibility of taking an animal?

I often suggest that new-to-Alaska hunters start with small game and then move onto black bear since they are relatively numerous and don't receive too much pressure from spot-and-stalk hunters this time of year. That being said, since you're going to be a certified bowhunter, another great option for you next year might be bowhunting caribou on the Dalton Highway. Realistically, it might be tough to fit big game in this year, but that somewhat depends on where you're stationed. Having the winter to get out after small game while getting a feel for different terrain can be a very good thing, though.

sorry so late station on Fort Richardson

As winter rolls around, if you want to sit down over a cup of coffee or a beer and talk hunting ideas, I'm certainly game. I can't offer any honey holes to speak of, but I can help you navigate the drawing permit supplement during the November application period. Just let me know.

Hello, all
    but i know if i have any question i just call the co in that area.
    My first piece of advise is that we do not have Conservation Officers up here. We have biologists, which can be good resources of information if they will talk to you. Then we have State Troopers that enforce the laws. Some Troopers are really good at some of the rules, but if you ask them about something as boring as waterfowl regulations they will be clueless.

Over the years there have been many examples of bad info being given out by whom ever answers the phone at F&G. If you ask the wrong question you will get the wrong answer.

The reality is that nearly everything you need to know is in the regulations or has a link on the F&G website to additional info.

The thing that really gets people in trouble is not spending the time going over hunt unit maps and knowing where you really are. Being a good map reader and finding the additional info on the F&G website for unit maps is really important.

If you or any newbee wants to talk hunting in the Fairbanks area, I would be happy to help.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

What are your typical days off?? I find the most valuable asset to hunting is time afield so the ability to get away for 3-4 days at a stretch (preferably longer but very few can swing 7 day jaunts into the woods in a consistent basis). Let me know what your days off are. I am planning to hunt black bear with my bow here shortly, you are welcome to tag along if you like. Mainly going to stay in shape by hitting some hills and the bow gives my legs some added workout, but might get lucky and find a black bear mowing down some berries up high.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    What are your typical days off?? I find the most valuable asset to hunting is time afield so the ability to get away for 3-4 days at a stretch (preferably longer but very few can swing 7 day jaunts into the woods in a consistent basis). Let me know what your days off are. I am planning to hunt black bear with my bow here shortly, you are welcome to tag along if you like. Mainly going to stay in shape by hitting some hills and the bow gives my legs some added workout, but might get lucky and find a black bear mowing down some berries up high.
    Was thinking of hitting a spot with a buddy Oct 7th weekend with bows if you're interested. He doesn't even know he's going yet, haha. Going with Akrstabout. Fri-Sunday. This offer is extended to both you guys

I might run down to Hope this weekend for a day trip/scouting trip. I won't have time to chase bears, but could probably show you some and some other places to hunt spruce hens and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I might run down to Hope this weekend for a day trip/scouting trip. I won't have time to chase bears, but could probably show you some and some other places to hunt spruce hens and stuff.

Thanks a bunch but my boss just hit me for a detail on Sunday and Iask everyone how can work for me but no luck.