Thread: Another Sheep Season has come to a close ..........

Default Another Sheep Season has come to a close ..........

Except for those with special late season permits, another sheep season has come to a close. Congrats to those that took to the mountains this year, whether you tagged out or not, the fact is ....you were out there !!! (I know the feeling) Also a Big Congrats to those that took their FIRST Ram (alot of big names on the forum here) now they are hooked !!!...... In 2008 when I took my first ram, ....I knew it wasn't going to be my last, and to do it with my son, made it all the more special. We also won't forget the huge ram that made headlines to a first timer too (congrats again to that hunter!!!) ....... whats he to do now? ...I guess get a bigger one next year. I also learned there were several other big rams taken out of other ranges too... but we all know Weather was a big factor, and always is, as it showed this year. I know many have already started the planning process, and some have already firmed up next years flights, but the fact is, we never stop thinking about it until that Day comes again in August when we take to the mountains......

Ram Horns 2011.JPG

Yep.....already looking forward to next year. Killed a small full curl ram this year and had a hell of a good time roaming around the mountains by myself. Sheep country has no equal.....

I came up empty handed this year, but due to having to be back at work on August 10th I never really got more than a weekend at it. Things change next year, and I couldn't be more excited. Next fall I'm back at work on the 16th, then the 15th, 14th, 14th, and 13th if I recall all of the calendars correctly. For the next five years I should be able to put a real effort into chasing sheep and, better yet, should have a chance to put my wife on her first ram. I love winter, but I'm already looking forward to hitting the mountains again next fall. It's almost time for some training via backcountry skiing - sometimes in areas where I cross sheep tracks in the winter.

I just got back at a last great attempt yesterday & I evan got to throw 2 rounds out at one,but it just wasn't ment to be. went out 3 times this year & this last time was the best by far- snow in the mountains, cold& a little windy. sheep had thick coats starting & the creek water never tasted better. I will be back up there next year.

kahahawai, I love that pict.

Default first time sheep hunter

never been sheep hunting. looking for a bush pilot that flys into the houla houla / congacut area of the brooks range. Or any other area that a beginner should focus on.

Woah.... that's a sweet pic.

I've been saying "next year" for a while now. GOT to get up there soon.
    Alpine is awesome...

That is one of the best pics ever...But to see it in person must be some sight huh?Well 11 months to go,plenty of time to get my load a little lighter for the chase next year!!Im trying to cut it down to 40lbs,seen the right gear this year,just have to dig in the ol pockets a bit.One big cut is going to be my gun,10lbs is to much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    That is one of the best pics ever...But to see it in person must be some sight huh?
    I hear you! It was a fun and successful intro to sheep hunting. I'm not sure that I'll make it back to the sheep mountains of Alaska next year, but you can bet I'll be coming back! Next year Ovis ammon polii calls! Should be fun!!!!

Brett

Yes indeed. 2nd real season of sheep hunting and my sheep hunting IQ is still very low, but I learned A LOT in the last 2 years thanks to great hunting partners and some of what NOT to do

Less than 325 days until next go 'round.

Here is one of my grandpa's sheep pics I always liked.
    Alpine is awesome...

Was an excellent and disappointing sheep season all at the same time. Did an eight day trip followed a week later by a two day solo mission into the Chugach trying to fill my draw tag. Out of the 30 rams I was able to identify as full curl or not I was able to find 3 legal rams. Nearly all the rams we saw were pushed way up into the nasty rocks and ledges with no intention of coming down and no way for a man to get up to them.

I did an eight day sheep hunt a few years back and was shutout as well. Sheep just seem to have my number. For next season I'm torn between the need to finally get this chip off my shoulder by killing a sheep and desire to say heck with sheep and put a moose or caribou in the freezer. Just don't know if I'm mentally ready to jump into research, etc. so that I can get a charter flight booked in the next few months before everyone starts filling up.

Is it possible for sheep to be more frustrating than women?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    Is it possible for sheep to be more frustrating than women?
    Quote of the Year, right there. And so so true!!!

I was drawn for a 14A Friday Creek any ram permit this year and was able to bag a ram on my first sheep hunting experience. I'm sure the fact that my tag was any ram made it a heck of a lot easier than what you guys go through looking for and judging full curls. But still... I feel an amazing sense of accomplishment and can't wait to get back up in the mountains and do it all over again even though I vowed I'd never sheep hunt again on my pack-out. But as my taxidermist told me, "sheep hunters have a short memory" and with that I'm sure I'll find myself back on the steeps next year in a general season area, looking for something a little bigger where I won't have an any ram permit to fall back on. I'm hooked and have to thank my dad for hounding me to put in for sheep tags every year. He's been wanting to take a ram ever since I was a little kid but just never has. Fortunately, we got to share the experience together and I couldn't have done it without him.
    P1010231.jpgP1010241.jpg

Yummy, that young ram gets my mouth watering. Jealous, kinda.

I took a goat and a ram this year. The mountains in August are just a way of life. Dehydrated goodies, coffee, and good gear are the staples. Point me to the hills and let the roaming start.

Those rocks and crags......there like jungle gyms for my big kid soul.

Until next year, stay strong and love your family. You'll leave them again for those **** mountains and steal food money from the bank for all that expensive sheep gear.

It was an exciting sheep season for me and thankfully I have a job that allows me the time off to pursue one of my favorite critters. You put the time in and eventually it is going to pay off! Next year the wife and I are pursuing dalls in the Wrangells and this will be my first time down there hunting. Air charter has already been booked and the countdown has begun, I can hardly wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    It was an exciting sheep season for me and thankfully I have a job that allows me the time off to pursue one of my favorite critters. You put the time in and eventually it is going to pay off! Next year the wife and I are pursuing dalls in the Wrangells and this will be my first time down there hunting. Air charter has already been booked and the countdown has begun, I can hardly wait!!
    I was gonna book my air charter, but banking on my little lady drawing DCUA next year Just kidding, but a guy can dream. Otherwise its either a flyout in the Brooks for the first time ever or a fly out into the Alaska Range......with a different air service

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    That is one of the best pics ever...But to see it in person must be some sight huh?Well 11 months to go,plenty of time to get my load a little lighter for the chase next year!!Im trying to cut it down to 40lbs,seen the right gear this year,just have to dig in the ol pockets a bit.One big cut is going to be my gun,10lbs is to much!!!

Yup some sight.....especially when you helped contribute to that pic !!!!....lol

You guys did really well..... I don't think cuttin' down on weight will effect you at all....as many rams you've taken, I don't think I will ever catch up to you. .......... we'll bring more beer next time, (and not natty light), not sure if I can afford Bretts expensive scotch !!!!

It was a special season indeed, thanks kahahawai nice post and great pic! cant wait to get out there next year. As for what to do now chasing whitetails in IL with the bow. Scott_zimm, sheep hunt with your dad....thats really cool sheep or no sheep!