Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing outboard Motor

Default Winterizing outboard Motor

What are the steps that everyone take to winterize their outboard motor?

Gas stabilizer (so it doesn't gel) and then run it on the stand (providing water to its intake of course) spraying the fogger into it until it finally dies. I vary the amount of fogger to allow it to keep running a long time, so the fogger makes its way through the whole motor.

I'm not a gear head, but this is what I do with my OB every fall. And it seems to work.

(4 stroke 15HP Tohatsu)

If it is a new motor you need to check with the manufacturer some are not to be fogged or have anything added to the gas because it will mess up the warranty and you motor censors!! If it is an older two stroke flush and fog it till it dies, I like marvel mystery oil to fog with!

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    If it is a new motor you need to check with the manufacturer some are not to be fogged or have anything added to the gas because it will mess up the warranty and you motor censors!! If it is an older two stroke flush and fog it till it dies, I like marvel mystery oil to fog with!
    I didn't know that (like I said, I don't really know motors). Anyone know if a 4-5 year old Tohatsu 4 stroke should be fogged or not?

I've had great luck doing so. Not to say I'm right. Could be I'm just lucky.

Any other things to do

I plan on backing mine into the heated shop with the quad then going back in the house...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I plan on backing mine into the heated shop with the quad then going back in the house...
    It is not the cold, but the sitting without use that hurts an outboard.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Along those lines.........One of my boats I didn't even start this year. I was thinking the best thing for it is to just leave it "winterized" at this point but maybe it would be better to fire it up once and let it run for a bit just to get the parts moving? Opinions?

Myself I'd leave it, and start extra early next year getting her to run well. First steps of course are new oils and plug and new gas.

If you start it now, you'll have to re-winterize it. No point, unless you have more time now than next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Gas stabilizer (so it doesn't gel) and then run it on the stand (providing water to its intake of course) spraying the fogger into it until it finally dies. I vary the amount of fogger to allow it to keep running a long time, so the fogger makes its way through the whole motor.

I'm not a gear head, but this is what I do with my OB every fall. And it seems to work.

(4 stroke 15HP Tohatsu)
    Just how far "through the motor" will the fogger go by doing this?

Just how far "through the motor" will the fogger go by doing this?
    I have no idea, but would love to hear from any gear head that knows the answer.

I do know that what I do works; my OB starts right up, every spring.

There isn't much magic to them. Carb flows air through a Venturi which draws atomized fuel through a jet at a metered rate. The fuel/air mix travels through a short plenum past the intake valve and into the combustion chamber where it is compressed and ignited then expelled out the exhaust. The fogger is just there to put a sheen of oil on the piston walls to keep them or the piston ring from corroding. You aren't trying to burn the fogging oil which is what you are doing by keeping it running. This will likely cause carbon buildup in the heads or on the piston top which can cause all sorts of problems like excess compression or detonation from the carbon holding heat and ignighting the fuel before the spark plug. Just getting a good fog in there and letting it kill the motor will coat the cylinder walls and provide all the protection you will need.

As mentioned computer controlled motors with certain sensors do not like oil! So read you owners manual. Odds are you could achieve the same results without damaging something like MAFS sensor by spraying fogging oil in through the spark plug hole and just bumping the motor over a turn or two with no plugs in it the reinstalling the plugs.

All that and I will still probably just back mine in the garage and go inside

Default the definition of "magic"

There isn't much magic to them. ...

Just getting a good fog in there and letting it kill the motor will coat the cylinder walls and provide all the protection you will need.
    Very often "magic" is merely that which you do not yet know; I was pretty clear what I didn't know; sounds like you knew a lot more about the answer to your question than I did. Thanks for the complete explanation.

The directions on the fogger are to run it until the fogger makes it stall, then spray a little in each spark plug hole and turn the motor over a couple of times. Pretty much exactly what you said.

I've probably been "over-Fogging" my motor a bit over the years. But lucky me, I've seen no bad side effects. Some days "lucky" is a pretty good substitute for knowing "magic" I think.

Whats a fogger?

I am just going to keep using mine, figure if I make a trip out once a month then I don't ever have to winterize it. In the spring sometime I will change the oil and lower units and all will be good.

Just have to get details on where to park in Whittier in the dead of the winter.... and if the ramp is open all year round.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I just read the Yamahaha manual for my 115/80... first of course it recommends you take it to an authorized Yamaha dealer to have it serviced... then it tells you if your a mind to do it yourself.... if you use the yamaha fogging oil you can start the motor and spray their fogging oil into the air intakes on all the carbs until the motor starts to bog down, then shut it off... it further recommends an additional squirt into each cylinder.... This is basically what I've been doing for several years (at least 10) with my 4 stroke yamaha's and as yet I haven't experienced any problems... (and NO I don't use Yamaha fogging oil)

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Whats a fogger?
    Engine fogging spray. Buy it at Napa. It provides a wintertime coating to protect your OB motor through the winter.

John, good to hear. I guess the only difference here is that I've tried to keep it running a bit after it starts to falter, and likely I should discontinue that part of the process. I guess that's what's good about a discussion board, is that it lets each of us learn some things, and teach some things. Thanks.

And thanks also for the spring-donation you made; they are thriving here! Only got a few berries (VERY yummy variety!) this first year, but I plan to be happily overloaded starting next year!

When I had an Evinrude FICHT, besides the fogging, I would pull the computer module off the engine and store inside.
    Tobinzeke, you have a Yammy HPDI if I am not mistaken. Might be worth considering. I'll be pulling the module on my Optimax for the winter.
    Maybe its no neccessary under normal winter conditions, but -40 can't be a good thing for electronics.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Just have to get details on where to park in Whittier in the dead of the winter.... and if the ramp is open all year round.
    JR2,

Factor in snow removal into your plan as well. Whittier gets a lot of snow over the course of the winter.

Doug

Plan on chaining up all four wheels as well. Nothing like getting walked by the dog...
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast