Thread: Motor winterizing/Sta-Bil Question

Default Motor winterizing/Sta-Bil Question

I have a 2011 Honda 150 4-stroke. It has the hose hook up for flushing it so I don't have to start it. I want to make sure some sta-bil gets run through it before winterizing it, so can I hook up the hose and ears to the motor and run it, like the kicker? Do I run the risk of hurting it buy hooking up the ears to it, or can I only use the hose hook up on a motor that size?

I'd like to get out on the water to run it a little to get the sta-bil run through it, but no time. It's getting dropped off at the shop tomorrow for winterizing.

If I can use the muffs on my outdrive to run my 250 HP I/O while I circulate gas with stabile in it through my engine then I'd think you could do the same. I'd suggest reading your owner's manual to be sure.

Before you run anything but gas through your motor you should check with Honda some of the winterizing products will mess up your motor and your warranty!!!!!!!!! I think that there is a hose connection on you motor too. Good luck

Ruger01,

so can I hook up the hose and ears to the motor and run it, like the kicker?[
    Yes, you can the rabbit ears on your larger motor to run the engine in your driveway. That is my standard procedure post trip with our 100 HP 4s Yamahas. A side note, I was told by a mechanic to use this method, rather than the hose connection, when flushing the motors because as the motor gets up to operating temperature the warmer water and the thermostat opening up will flush the motors more completely to avoid salt deposits.

It's getting dropped off at the shop tomorrow for winterizing.
    If you are having a shop winterizing the motor, ask them what exactly they plan to do as they may run Stabil through your motor as part of their winterizing procedure.

Doug

Doug was correct on using ears to run your motor in the driveway. Also Skydiver was double correct on suggesting you read your owner's manual::: You CANNOT run your motor on the hose flush connection, it is ONLY for flushing. Says so in the Owner's Manual, I too run Honda's! The ears provide the correct cooling water for running the motor.

Be careful running your motors on the muffs. My F250s have two water pickups. I either have to use two sets of muffs or cover one set up with duct tape to "seal" the system.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Pete, are those F250's Yamahas? I thought you had diesels! Anyway, the Honda's have one set of intakes, so he is OK...but don't run above idle except briefly!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I called Honda, and they said I can use Sta-Bil (that's actually the brand they recomend too), and that I am safe to use the ears on the larger motor while in the driveway.

One word of caution for fuel injected motors, do not disconnect the fuel line and run it dry on fuel like you would have done with carbs. If you need to run it dry for long term storage, more then a year, and are emptying the fuel, then you should run a heavy mix of 2 stroke oil. This will keep moisture from corroding the pintles or having them (pintles) stick inside the injectors.

The other thing you can do is remove the fuel rail and add oil directly to the injectors.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    One word of caution for fuel injected motors, do not disconnect the fuel line and run it dry on fuel like you would have done with carbs. If you need to run it dry for long term storage, more then a year, and are emptying the fuel, then you should run a heavy mix of 2 stroke oil. This will keep moisture from corroding the pintles or having them (pintles) stick inside the injectors.

The other thing you can do is remove the fuel rail and add oil directly to the injectors.
    I have not heard this before, that itís bad to run an EFI engine out of gas. Good thing to keep in mind when I either upgrade or get a boat with EFI. My 06 Honda 90 has carbs so I just run them dry in the fall, dribble the rest of the gas out the bowl drain, make sure the fuel tanks are topped off and thatís it. My 09 9.9 Tohatsu gets the gas run out of it each time, not sure if itís EFI or not but always starts on the first pull.

Because there is no Methanol in Alaska gas I believe gas stabilizer is not necessary, I don't use it.

In the spring I pour a couple cans of SeaFoam in each tank than change the oil after that first trip, oil gets dirty from all that gunk being cleaned out of system.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    I have not heard this before, that itís bad to run an EFI engine out of gas. Good thing to keep in mind when I either upgrade or get a boat with EFI. My 06 Honda 90 has carbs so I just run them dry in the fall, dribble the rest of the gas out the bowl drain, make sure the fuel tanks are topped off and thatís it. My 09 9.9 Tohatsu gets the gas run out of it each time, not sure if itís EFI or not but always starts on the first pull.

Because there is no Methanol in Alaska gas I believe gas stabilizer is not necessary, I don't use it.

In the spring I pour a couple cans of SeaFoam in each tank than change the oil after that first trip, oil gets dirty from all that gunk being cleaned out of system.
    Yeah I didn't either till I messed up the injectors in my motorcycle. When I did it 2nd time I sent them to someone to have them rebuilt and that is when I got the news of my pintles being stuck and why. The above suggestions came from them for long term storage or if required to drain all the fuel from the system.

I believe the Honda 150's have a drain screw somewhere on the engine that allows you to drain the fuel system on the motor. I am going to keep using my boat until Nov-Dec if possible so I will figure it out then.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Wow, some of this sounds like a lot of work! Stabil's cheep enough to just use all year and on the last trip when I fill er up for winter i don't even consider anything else. It's been in the motor for some time!

In the spring when I open everything up part of the spring ritual is to slide a plactic drum under the lower unit, fill er up with water and run the motor till it comes up to temp. I believe I read where you are not suppose to use the muffs for anything but an idle. My Honda BF150 won't generate enough heat at idle to open the thermostats which is another part of the spring time check!

Course, I'm lazier than most too!
    Mike