Thread: Any good fishing opportunities around Juneau?

Default Any good fishing opportunities around Juneau?

I'll be passing through town this weekend and was thinking about wetting a line on Saturday.

If there are silvers still around, I may put the boat into the water, otherwise I could just fish from shore somewhere. When I was younger, I remember fishing for silvers this late in the season on the Breadline.

I doubt that my wife wants me to bring another cooler full of fish home - but it would seem like a shame to me if I DIDN'T at least get out on the water somewhere.........

There are still some Coho being caught in the Juneau area, but the SE weather has been horrible lately and the long range forecast for this weekend doesn't sound like any improvement. The last time I was out (last week) there were some biting right outside of Tee Harbor. There are Coho straggling through the Juneau area headed for systems up the Taku and Chilkat (and the Berners) for another month and a half so if you get cooperative weather and can put in the time you ought to find some action. We were having luck on 50/50 chartreuse and green hoochies behind a "purple haze" Hotspot. Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

I was fearing that with all that rain at the end of August the last time I visited - the run would end a bit sooner as all the salmon would have headed to the rivers by now.

Looking at the forecasted winds - things could get a bit lumpy.

Who knows - we may be crazy enough to give it a shot until it stops being fun........

The silver run at DIPAC is winding down - a guy said he caught 4 off the dock on spinners yesterday. Mid flood is best for DIPAC. I'd also consider Montana Cr. at the confluence with the Mendenhall or go out to Cowee and fish well below the bridge. Open for bait in Cowee and the fresh fish will hit eggs pretty good. I'm putting my boat up for the season this weekend.