Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Attack!

Default Bear Attack!

i think one of the most salient points in this story is that despite seeing the bear first at 75 yds, then closing at 20, he "had just enough time to fire one shot from his .30-06 rifle".

fast doesn't even begin to describe a bear attack.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/09/20/207896...#ixzz1YXoBBBni
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Kudos to all those who helped along the way. Sounds like everyone pitched in. Nothing more comforting than the whop whop of the National Guard. Some of the best tax dollars at work.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Kudos to all those who helped along the way. Sounds like everyone pitched in. Nothing more comforting than the whop whop of the National Guard. Some of the best tax dollars at work.
    coundnt have said it better at all!!!

Reading these stories always sends a chill down my spine. Glad the man is recovering, and great job to all the rescuers along the way!

What is also important to consider here is that they were lucky to get a jet boat up from the lodge. That river is low this time of year and hard to navigate a big boat on.

That valley is also known for grumpy bears. I had my fist scare up there 20 years ago on the east side above boulder creek. Same situation with a moose kill. However the bear didn't defend it the same way this one did.

A buddy who was in the vicinity says that the group had a bear tag and the mauling took place after the tag holder shot the bear.

I realize the news has made no mention of this, but IF it is true it could explain a few things.

Best wishes to Mr. Sanford for a speedy recovery. Tough gentleman indeed.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

God blees him and all the rescues invloved. Its a good emphasis on carrying a well stocked compact med kit on your trips out into this great land. Take one with me where ever i go. Thankfully only have needed a few bandaids and some motrin out of it, ok alot of motrin. Can't stress the importance of knowing some basic first aid as well. If anyone is in the fairbanks area and has wanted to learn some basic first aid, shoot me a pm and maybe we can setup some hands on training. I am not able to certify anyone on anything, but i teach first aid for the military and can teach anyone the basiscs. I am always willing to share what i know.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    A buddy who was in the vicinity says that the group had a bear tag and the mauling took place after the tag holder shot the bear.I realize the news has made no mention of this, but IF it is true it could explain a few things.Best wishes to Mr. Sanford for a speedy recovery. Tough gentleman indeed.
    ADN has a more detailed report of the attack up now and it seems clear your friends report is not true. With that said news agency have reported things that are so crazy false before anything possible but from what I just read I would say no shots where taken towards the bear except the one shot in defense.

I was with the hunting party that had the sat phone. We were about six miles up the river sitting around the fire having a cup of coffee when Mr. Dyson yelled over to us and asked if we knew the emergency frequency. We said we didn’t know what the frequency was (guess he meant radio frequency) and asked him what was wrong. He then told us that the man in the bottom of the boat had been attacked by a bear. We told him we had a sat phone and then he asked if we could call the lodge. We didn’t know the number to the lodge but we could call 911 which he said would be great. He thanked us and proceeded down the river. Within a few moments after we called 911 we heard a jet boat start up and head up river to pick them up. I am really glad his injuries were not life threatening and that they were able to help him down river. We didn’t get a moose this trip but it was all worth it because we helped out a fellow hunter.

Oh I forgot to add it was protecting a moose kill that was 30 yards away

Interesting that word is getting out that he had a tag for grizzly and shots had been fired. Funny thing about that rumor is you don't even need a tag to shoot grizzly in that area. Here in unit 13 its open to griz year round and no tag required for residents.

Thumbs up Clearly contradicting info

Quote Originally Posted by akmike84 View Post
    Interesting that word is getting out that he had a tag for grizzly and shots had been fired. Funny thing about that rumor is you don't even need a tag to shoot grizzly in that area. Here in unit 13 its open to griz year round and no tag required for residents.
    Thanks for your 15th post in 3 years.

It takes some clarity like you just offered to see the value in an Alaskan forum like this. Sure there's some "bad" in a public forum... but as you illuminate with your post sir, there is clarity too.

(+1, when the system allows me to)

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    A buddy who was in the vicinity says that the group had a bear tag and the mauling took place after the tag holder shot the bear.

I realize the news has made no mention of this, but IF it is true it could explain a few things.

Best wishes to Mr. Sanford for a speedy recovery. Tough gentleman indeed.
    In that unit, there is no brown bear tag required.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

A friend alerted me to a recent griz attack in Montana/Idaho area - story says 2 black bear hunters mistook a 400 lb griz for a black - shot it and followed up after a wait to find a pissed wounded bear. It attacked and one hunter tried to divert it away from the other and ended up dieing from the mauling...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akmike84 View Post
    I didn't see anything in the story to infer that he is a resident...maybe thats why he had a tag?

Blackhawk: awesome you had a sat phone and helped out. I hope you get some Karma and a big bull next year. Anyone know if he hit the bear or killed it? That bear kept coming and didnt care about gunfire or anything, a real killer. I hope someone harvested it.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Sorry guys but long overdue: After reading this story When I was up there there maclaren river lodge was helping someone with their blown up pickup, and now thinking of them using all their resources to help this bear mauling victim.. Two of the saints on earth Alan and Suzie have a great and homey lodge there with great food, wifi and tv and throwing all their resources to help someone with no hope of reimbursement. If you need a place to say of there give them a call. Maclaren River lodge is a great operation.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Sorry guys but long overdue: After reading this story When I was up there there maclaren river lodge was helping someone with their blown up pickup, and now thinking of them using all their resources to help this bear mauling victim.. Two of the saints on earth Alan and Suzie have a great and homey lodge there with great food, wifi and tv and throwing all their resources to help someone with no hope of reimbursement. If you need a place to say of there give them a call. Maclaren River lodge is a great operation.
    Absolutely and AMEN! Even though we don't stay at the lodge, knowing Alan is within 10 miles of our camp is so re-assuring. He'd give you the shirt off his back to help you out and nothing tastes better one of Suzie's meals after days in the swamp.

I feel partially responsible for this attack. We hunt the south side near the lodge and saw a big set of really fresh brownie tracks heading north on our way in. When we 'checked in' at the lodge, we asked Alan about bears. He told us they had seen one around and then it seemed to go away right before we showed up. Based upon the activity of the moose in our swamp, I think we were about one day behind that bear and we were committed to shooting a bear if we saw one. Dang it. I wish we would have spent a day looking just for that bear. I'm considering going back this weekend and let the air out of that walking rug.

That sucks, knowing we were probably hours behind this bear.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

SollyBug,

When we floated back to the lodge the Troopers and about 6 other people there went out on 4 wheelers to try and find the bear but found no blood trail so he probably did not hit the bear. As far as I know they never found it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast