Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How close is too close to a house?

Default How close is too close to a house?

I hunted this last week and covered lots of Miles and put in my time. I saw numerous Cow Moose and had a cow tag. I was hunting in and around Big Lake and Huston. I did a search and called Fish and Game on this so now post this for debate or as some would like to argue. I passed on numerous cows as I did not want to offend or PO the the person that owned the house. The Land was open to hunting. That being said; what is the polite and legal distance from a residence when you harvest an animal? You do not have far to go in the area before you run into a cabin, home or farm. I respect all private signs and just want to avoid any conflict. Honest guys I don't want to start a debate war, just want Honest opinions on this. thanks one and all. Jeff

No debate here, in the City of Houston the current code states a 1000 yards from any structure. As it's been pointed out, there are those who believe the code is flawed....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    I hunted this last week and covered lots of Miles and put in my time. I saw numerous Cow Moose and had a cow tag. I was hunting in and around Big Lake and Huston. I did a search and called Fish and Game on this so now post this for debate or as some would like to argue. I passed on numerous cows as I did not want to offend or PO the the person that owned the house. The Land was open to hunting. That being said; what is the polite and legal distance from a residence when you harvest an animal? You do not have far to go in the area before you run into a cabin, home or farm. I respect all private signs and just want to avoid any conflict. Honest guys I don't want to start a debate war, just want Honest opinions on this. thanks one and all. Jeff

This came up a few weeks ago and was posted in another thread.

from that thread.

http://www.houstonak.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={F66A36CF-168E-437F-96D0-A5FF70954AC1}&DE={D2127971-CE04-4AD9-9B32-6F7C264E01B7}

The troopers ARE enforcing this law. I am only posting this because someone we know has been sited for this violation.

8.04.010 Unlawful discharge of weapons
    It shall be unlawful for any person(s) or organization to discharge firearms or explosives within the City limits except as follows:
    A. For subsistence purposes with the following exception; no hunting within subdivision boundaries;
    B. Controlled use of fireworks under Chapter 8.05 HMC;
    C. For sighting in of firearms at an approved shooting range; and
    D. No shooting within 1,000 yards of any structure;
    E. In any area of the City specifically designated by the Council. All reasonable safety precautions will be observed and enforced. (Ord. 02-16 § 3, 2002; Ord. 97-06, 1997; Ord. 85-01, 1985; Ord. 75-P-1 § 1, 1975)
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Maybe as a rule of thumb...Shoot as close to a strangers house as you would feel comfortable with a stranger shooting near your house....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Honestly here is my opinion.
    I grew up on a farm in MN.
    One year some local guys asked to hunt part of our farm. They were known around town to drink and hunt and mom and dad don't condone that.
    Also there was often cattle there and it was hunted by our family.
    Well they went anyway.
    They were shooting at some deer and shot through a neighbors house. Bullet went in through a window and stuck in a wall.
    Has someone been sitting at the head of the dinner table they would have been killed.
    I also know that the road system contains lots of private property not just where the houses are.
    I would personally look for larger tracks of public land away from any houses.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I did just this and am happy I went home with an empty tag. Just the way it goes. I was aware of the Huston limits and borders. that made me steer clear of that area. I do not always know where the next cabin is and try and explain that to a trooper while standing over a gut pile within that red zone.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Maybe as a rule of thumb...Shoot as close to a strangers house as you would feel comfortable with a stranger shooting near your house....

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    I haven't looked at that area specifically, but have hunted the FMA archery season that has similar issues. I chose to avoid all private property that I could identify in any way. I did have a plan that, if the opportunity presented itself, I would have checked with someone before going after the moose on their land. Obviously this only works if the moose isn't moving around and you have time. Legal or not, I didn't want to deal with a landowner who was against hunting altogether or just against someone else hunting on their land. Maybe a legal moose was hanging around their back yard and they didn't mind you going after it? Wouldn't hurt to knock on the front door to check.

I'd love for someone to take the one (Cow) who has persisted to eat my Brussel Sprouts that I FINALLY succeed to grow this year!

(Dont leave me a gutt pile to deal with, and leave me a quarter on the doorstep, she's yours!)......

Just kidding!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I'd love for someone to take the one (Cow) who has persisted to eat my Brussel Sprouts that I FINALLY succeed to grow this year!

(Dont leave me a gutt pile to deal with, and leave me a quarter on the doorstep, she's yours!)......

Just kidding!
    Hey, turn those big bruisers of yours loose on them.

STID2677, Ill have to disagree with you.
    "The troopers ARE enforcing this law. I am only posting this because someone we know has been sited for this violation."

State troopers wont enforece a city ordance. They enforce state law. A few years back the coastie's on Kodiak passed a base rule stating that an area close to CG housing was off limits to bear hunting. So what happens, a coastie shoots a bear there and CG police call in troopers. Troopers look at the state regs, nope, guy didnt break any state reg and no citation issued.
    Its the same for local law. How would a state trooper be expected to know all local ordances issued within the state of Alaska.
    HL Mencken, defined a demagogue (American Politician) as "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman1979 View Post
    STID2677, Ill have to disagree with you.
    "The troopers ARE enforcing this law. I am only posting this because someone we know has been sited for this violation."

State troopers wont enforece a city ordance. They enforce state law. A few years back the coastie's on Kodiak passed a base rule stating that an area close to CG housing was off limits to bear hunting. So what happens, a coastie shoots a bear there and CG police call in troopers. Troopers look at the state regs, nope, guy didnt break any state reg and no citation issued.
    Its the same for local law. How would a state trooper be expected to know all local ordances issued within the state of Alaska.
    Does a CG "base rule" constitute a codified law enforceable by anyone other than the Base Commander/equivalent or his/her designee?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I also find it hard to believe that Troopers would enforce a Houston law. The first person to post an actual Trooper dispatch link that proves an actual State Trooper or Wildlife Trooper has ticketed anyone with violating the Houston 1000 yard rule will get a 6 pack of their favorite beer from me.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

i doulbt the troopers give a hoot about houston, that place is something else.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I also find it hard to believe that Troopers would enforce a Houston law. The first person to post an actual Trooper dispatch link that proves an actual State Trooper or Wildlife Trooper has ticketed anyone with violating the Houston 1000 yard rule will get a 6 pack of their favorite beer from me.
    If the offense is just a violation, not a misdemeanor (which I doubt it would be), then you won't find it in the dispatch, just like you won't find every speeding ticket written by a Trooper in the dispatch.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

[QUOTE=Huntress;1009943]I'd love for someone to take the one (Cow) who has persisted to eat my Brussel Sprouts that I FINALLY succeed to grow this year!

Where do you live huntress? If your in the FMA and really have a cow that you dont mind leaving the area forever ill be more then happy to come take it away. I'll even bring it back cut up and packaged in a cooler for you when you get home. And you if think about it you'll even get to eat your Brussel Sprouts she ate.

Make sure the gut pile is far enough away from the house that if the kids go out and play they won't be attacked by a bear protecting its food
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Sounds like a bow or crossbow would be a good investment.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    If the offense is just a violation, not a misdemeanor (which I doubt it would be), then you won't find it in the dispatch, just like you won't find every speeding ticket written by a Trooper in the dispatch.
    Bailable citations (violations) written by AWT merit press releases. The Troopers don't enforce municipal code. Houston PD (if they still exist) would have to be the ticketing agency. As far as state law is concerned, the shooter would have to be stupid enough to meet the statute for reckless endangerment or disorderly conduct.

Reckless Endangerment: "A person commits the crime of reckless endangerment if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person."

Disorderly Conduct (the applicable part): "A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if the person recklessly creates a hazardous condition for others by an act which has no legal justification or excuse."

Shooting a moose in someone's yard could probably meet one or the other of the above statutes, eh?

OK, fine... scan and post an actual ticket issued by a Trooper or Wildlife Trooper for violating Houston's law and I'll buy you a six pack.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I was going to make a whole thread about an incident this morning. My wife called me at 11am this morning while I was hunting to tell me she had called the troopers on two young men who shot a spruce grouse 15 feet DOWN MY DRIVEWAY toward my house, where my kids were playing, and my wife happened to open the door to go outside when this poo for brains open fires. Less than 200 yards from the front door with my wife and kids inside. She yells at them "No hunting on my property!" and so the punk runs down the drive and snatches the bird up. Then the pair flee the scene. So of course she calls the troopers who took an hour and a half to get there. All they could do was take the descriptions and a statement. And then... they went into the Baldy "parking lot" and wrote down everyone's plate numbers.

Just so everyone knows, I live at "the parking lot" and own some of the property where people park . I am happy to have other happy well-adjusted hunters around and have always let people park on the front side of my property. But some of my neighbors are tired of it and no longer welcome visitors to our neighborhood because of noise, litter, congestion, and just plain rude parking.

Sad to say it, but this incident is now making it's way around the neighborhood and my own wife has joined those who want the parking lot moved out of the neighborhood. Thanks a lot to the two stupid donkeys who just shot at my wife and house! One more person now hates us all!

So if you know who these people are who did this, if it's your brother, cousin, kid, nephew, whatever... tie them up and then PM me. We can work something out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast