Thread: cycle for snowshoe hares in alaska

Default cycle for snowshoe hares in alaska

has any one seen any good info on the cycle and a history perhaps? I assume the cycle timing is different in different areas? I tried to search the forum but didn't come up with much.

thanks

I think we are on the last winter in the apex of the cycle on the peninsula. Hares everywhere. Several in my driveway every morning. All down hill after this til it starts building again. Try Kenai National Wildlife Refuge home page; they may have info on the rabbit cycle.

I'd think 2 years ago around here the bunny trails were kinda few and far between in my local journeys last winter
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

5 in the yard.
    Tim

I've been seeing a bunch this year. Just the other day I watched an owl fly off with one. Looked like he had the rabbit by the hind legs and you could see the little rabbit flaying back and forth in flight. Too cool.

it is always cool to see a bird of any sort fly off with any live animal. it gives you a real respect for how hard they have to work for dinner.

last winter I witnessed an eagle swoop down and grab a snowshoe just off the snowmachine trail I was on. I only wish I could have grabbed a picture!!

from what I can see in the area between eureaka and glennallen the cycle seems to have dropped consideably. saw a lot more last year than this year. I tried to find any real data on the cycle that was truly relevant to that area or even alaska and found very little. was just hoping that someone else had already found what I was looking for.

thanks for the input!!

Quote Originally Posted by akeman View Post
    has any one seen any good info on the cycle and a history perhaps? I assume the cycle timing is different in different areas? I tried to search the forum but didn't come up with much.

thanks
    What specifically would you like to know? Yes it is different for different areas. This question gets asked about two or three times a year. Check the archives. In the meantime, try reading what fish and game has to say about it.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...mehunting.hare

On the North Kenai Peninsula, they peaked summer of 2009.