Thread: Trying to figure out RL450

Default Trying to figure out RL450

I have a bear tag for RL450 (Eagle River Management Area) but cannot figure out the area to save my life. the DFG map sucks. I bought the Chugach state park map, not much help. I even bought an Alaska road atlas to figure out some ways to get in there. My Gazateer doesnt help much either.

can any of you Eagle River guys/gals or anybody hunted this before give me a jump off point. I am not looking for a your hotspot or really any hunting spots, just somewhere legal to get into this area. I have been taking Stonehill road and have permission from Eklutna inc. to cross their land but I still am unsure if this is a legal area.

I called parks and rec today but I get the distinct feeling they dont really like hunters (who figured?).

Thanks,

Scott

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamedic View Post
    I have a bear tag for RL450 (Eagle River Management Area) but cannot figure out the area to save my life. the DFG map sucks. I bought the Chugach state park map, not much help. I even bought an Alaska road atlas to figure out some ways to get in there. My Gazateer doesnt help much either.

can any of you Eagle River guys/gals or anybody hunted this before give me a jump off point. I am not looking for a your hotspot or really any hunting spots, just somewhere legal to get into this area. I have been taking Stonehill road and have permission from Eklutna inc. to cross their land but I still am unsure if this is a legal area.

I called parks and rec today but I get the distinct feeling they dont really like hunters (who figured?).

Thanks,

Scott
    Not positive if this is in the RL450 area. Anyways, leaving from the Nature Center, take the trail out about 5 miles. Just short (100-200 yards?) of Dishwater Creek, start up the hill. There is a well used trail going up the hill. Anyways, where you break out above treeline, I've seen multiple very nice black bears (3 separate bears in one evening). Get up on the moraine and glass.

Frostbitten.... that is not RL 450 --- for those people thinking you can hunt Dishwater for bears don't, you cant hunt till Icicle unfortunately - read the regs. I tried to get this boundary changed a few years ago - but thats a whole different discussion.

Alaska Medic - this just is not that hard to figure out. The MAP is actually quite good for this area. I've never hunted it, and never intend to - there are alot better and easier places to find a black bear than this hunt. Good luck on your effort - we need a few less blackies in the ER valley.

Try this link, looks straight forward. This is the PDF map for your permit.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu.../pdf/rl450.pdf

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Most years zero bears are killed in that unit. The hunt further up the valley upriver from Icicle Creek produces bears every year, but my understanding is that most people who sign up for this permit do so because they want to hunt small game in the area and this registration permit enables them to do so. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.) If I were going to hunt it - and I'm seriously tempted to - I would either climb Harp Mountain from the end Hiland Drive and hunt the back side or I would hike back to the hanging valley in South Fork immediately after the bridge, climb the pass at the end of the hanging valley, and then hunt the back side there. Both approaches would get you up into the alpine without any bushwhacking and should put you into the terrain that black bears frequent this time of year.

Thanks all for the comments. I know that there havent been any bears killed up there in quite a while but I know there are bears in there. Trying to get up there from the end of hiland is out of the question as most of it is posted. Any of you guys know about the Joe Bear cabin down lower?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamedic View Post
    Trying to get up there from the end of hiland is out of the question as most of it is posted.
    That's not entirely true. Yes, there is posted private property up there, but there is also a public trail just to the right of the posted property. Additionally, going from the State Park trailhead and going up the hanging valley beyond the bridge misses all private property by a mile or more. Of course that would make for a very long day and would be best done overnight, but it's still an option.