Thread: Lake George Gorge

Default Lake George Gorge

Anyone ever rafted Lake George Gorge? Or is this tooo dangerous. I haven't ever seen it in person. Just arial shots and photos. Thanks!

T

I've never done it, but have seen pictures of others in there. I remember at least one of them with a whole lot of ice hanging over their heads. I think I'd want to pass through as quick as possible.

2Many...
    I have viewed the ice walls and ice chunks in the water of the Lake George gorge many times from the air, from the back seat of a supercub, before and following goat hunts.
    My observations are that the ice chunks in the water have always obstructed safe passage.
    I am not going to raft through it. Not ever.

Welcome, with your first AOD Forum post!

Large Ice Chunks and no way out. That's what I expected. Was thinking of a hiking/packrafting trip from Girdwood - Upper 20 mile - Lake George and out on the Knik River. Just have to figure out how to get around that Gorge!

Crazy to say the least. Say that in a good way. "Sounds like you have a great since of adventure" Thought about the same 20 years ago. That said, hiked the hill side above the gorge couple of times. Possibly one of the best views I've ever seen in alaska! There's actually an old hiking/pack trail above the gourge that a guide cut in for his horses back in the fifties/sixties I'm told, prior to this area becoming a permit area. Most of the trail is grown over now. Still some remnants of a tin shack near trail head if you look. If one wanted to make a long portage around the gorge with small pack raft it may be possibly to do so. One would have to be into extreem. Canyon is forever changing, my understanding not good idea at all!