Thread: Missing Coho

Default Missing Coho

Looks like many of us who thought that Coho numbers were down, were right.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...f/85496277.pdf

Default What the Announcement Didin't Mention....

The commercial troll fleet has been dealing with very small Coho since the fishery got underway in July. With some notable exceptions, the average has hovered right around 5.5 pounds for their gilled and gutted catch.

For most of our local summer sport fishery you had two sizes of Coho when they were available - either they were nice 10-12 pound fish or the little guys (both male and female). On many of our successful limit-filling days in August, over 2/3 of the catch consisted of small fish. I am guessing there must have been a severe shortage of feed out in the ocean where a lot of the northern SE Alaska Coho spent their last 6 months in the salt.

The season has been less than stellar in South Central, but I'm not sure it is related to the Southeast's numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    The season has been less than stellar in South Central, but I'm not sure it is related to the Southeast's numbers.
    I think it could be related. Our coho were smallish and sparse as well. The enhanced and wild runs both were dismal. Why? I wish I knew so the next time it happens I don't burn so much fuel looking for them.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

PDO... right now good for Columbia, Sacremento, Bad for AK give it a decade it'll turn around
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    PDO... right now good for Columbia, Sacremento, Bad for AK give it a decade it'll turn around
    Are you gonna make me google PDO? Not cool.

Ok. There I did.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    That's my theory.

I want to know how the dungenous crab population is doing and how far north it is right now. I'd bet a dollar they are moving farther north than we've seen them in a while....

somebodys going on the iggy list unless theres an explanation on this PDO crap, pronto! monkeybutt wth?

I'm taking a poll

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    somebodys going on the iggy list unless theres an explanation on this PDO crap, pronto! monkeybutt wth?
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacif...al_oscillation

There ya' go, FB. Reason I mentioned dungies is because back in the 80's you could catch them all day long out of Homer, which is technically a bit north of their normal range. Warmer ocean temps drove them on. Or so goes the theory, anyway.

Maybe PM can find the historical coho return data from back then. It would be interesting to see if there's any correlation.

Or colder ocean temps....one of the two. I found an ADN article on the crabbing in K-Bay and how it's looking like it's again on the rebound. Unfortunately, while the "oscillation" favors shellfish, it doesn't favor salmon.

http://www.adn.com/2009/02/21/698260...hemak-bay.html

I thought we had global warming!!! Does ice melting make the waters colder?
    All I know is it was probably the worst coho fishing I have seen in the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post

There ya' go, FB. Reason I mentioned dungies is because back in the 80's you could catch them all day long out of Homer, which is technically a bit north of their normal range. Warmer ocean temps drove them on. Or so goes the theory, anyway.
    I don't think it's global warming because the Puget sound, Wa, Ore, and Ca dungy fishermen are enjoying huge numbers of crab. In fact the newest dungy bonanza going on is right in San Francisco bay. I think its the sea otters that spanked our crab.

I'm taking a poll

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I don't think it's global warming because the Puget sound, Wa, Ore, and Ca dungy fishermen are enjoying huge numbers of crab. In fact the newest dungy bonanza going on is right in San Francisco bay. I think its the sea otters that spanked our crab.
    This is totally separate from any global warming theories. PDO is a natural recurring temperature cycle in the Pacific. Regardless, there does seem to be some correlation between high shellfish populations and low salmon returns, at least in South Central Alaska. I guess the question will remain as to what the correlation is.