Thread: Hunting on horseback

Default Hunting on horseback

Who else hunts from horses, I would really like to learn more, I don't know anyone else with horses if you have some whats the chance being able to ride along, I have lots a good camping gear
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

sheep 2011 068.jpgmoose hunt 2011 048.jpgGood looking horse here is one of my pack horses earning her winter feed. Don't look to close at the breeching we just came down steep grades before pictures were took.

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    sheep 2011 068.jpgmoose hunt 2011 048.jpgGood looking horse here is one of my pack horses earning her winter feed. Don't look to close at the breeching we just came down steep grades before pictures were took.
    Looks like your using a lasser cinch on those packs? I guy showed me years ago but I've had trouble getting it right love to get another class on that knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

horse if you get an account on photobucket then post your pics loading the image link the pics will be stored on the page full sized it makes it quicker for everyone to see your fine photos
    And jim I probably have someone that can teach us both the knot your speaking of if you'd like I will try to located the person they live in the valley
    Μολών λαβέ

Both loads pictured are lashed down with double Diamond Hitches. I use diffrent hitches depending on the load most the time I use double and singal diamonds. If you do not have someone to learn from there is alot of books on the market plus tons of info on youtube and the net. I was lucky I grewup around horses but still learn new ways of doing hitches all the time. The biggest thing to remember is to keep the load even and snug it does not have to be pretty to work. Alot of the time I just use a belly band. Ironartist I reread my last post I ment to say you had a nice looking horse not that here is a nice looking horse.

Thank you horse thats my boy buddy, he was green when I got him at 3 and I was greener than he. After some teeth and a few good bangs I've taught him up as best as a dummy can. This is why I want to meet others with equine to help teach me some proper horsemanship out in the wilds. If you have anyone in my area that has an extra space or 2 in a trailer I'd really like to tag along, as stated before I have lots a good gear and a couple pack saddles but really no one to learn from
    Μολών λαβέ

Hey Jim,

Ron Dube out of Wyoming has a horse packing video that shows the Double Diamond pretty good. On my elk hunt last week with my brother I learned a new easier hitch - box hitch. It is what Rusty at Double J Outfitters uses for all of his packing (he packs a whole lot of fisherman and hunters into wilderness camps - ie. he packs in 9 tons of hay cubes for fish camp alone each year)....

We packed a 357 2/8" Bull Elk out with the box hitch and it worked flawlessly.

I always tied the Double Diamond myself but after a few years away from it a guy forgets the little things that makes the knot tie quick so I conceeded to the box hitch!

You should be able to google Ron Dube's video -worth the watching for sure if you are interested in packin and ridin hunting horses.

Nothing better than riding a worthy steed on a high Mountain trail IMO!

Thanks for the info. The guy that taught me the lasser cinch hunted sheep with mules. I would put a tarp over the bags and if tied right the horse could walk between two beatle kill spruce in a rain storm on a sidehill and everything stayed dry and tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

here's a piece of my pop's art may he r.i.p. but the diamond hitch he studied and tied it correct I bet one can look and learn from this,
    Μολών λαβέ