Thread: Rhino-Eureka moose hunting trip results

Default Rhino-Eureka moose hunting trip results

My Rhino performed flawlessly on the moose hunting trip...
    Compared to my Yamaha Grizzly 660 the fuel economy is for sure the same if not better esecially when I was towing out my moose .. i'll find out the weight of it today(it'll be at least 550 lbs. and my buddy's weighed in at 666lbs.).
    the only real down side I found was the rhino got high centered once that took some bigtime winching to get out and I think my wheeler would have either rolled or I could have pushed it a little easier while winching but all in all the 12 hour ride in (probly more like 10 because we stopped to shoot squirls, ptarmigan, a porcupine, and a rabbit or two). And on the way out was another story it was more like 14 hours (thanks swamp buggy for making an ungodly amount of 4 foot deep nasty rutty trails that were passable before and now are nearly impossible to get through...) so our first 10 miles took nearly 3 hours.... Then Monument was not fun at all wow.
    But the end result is my buddy is thinking about getting one as well so we will see..

We took two Rhinos (700 & 450) back in the hills behind Eureka. We got my buddy's 13 year old son a caribou bull the first day so we explored the next day. We rode a total of 175 miles in those two days having to return to the parking lot each night. The machines did excellent. Winches were used several times but it help that the water was low and the swamps were as dry as I've seen.

The 700 has a 2 inch lift which helped. It gives me around 14 inches of clearance with 27" ITP XTR tires. The down side to the lift is it eats CV joints in the rear. Just found my second one damaged after last weekend up on the Denali Hwy. Too much angle on the right rear inner joint. Going to see if I can get a Gorilla CV for the 700. I understand they can handle the increased angle created by the lift.

The little 450 did surprising well but needs more clearance. It used about half the amount of gas the 700 burned.

Going up Monument is always an adrenalin rush regardless of what your driving or riding. I saw my water temp light flicker as I was going up.

Then the machine dumped a little antifreeze the next weekend. The radiator needed to be clean out. I pulled the oil cooler out of the way and used air pressure and the garden hose to clean the mud out of the radiator and cooler. I recommend that anyone that rides a lot of mud or silt clean their radiator yearly. It doesn't cost anything and could save an outing from being a nightmare.

My Grizzly sits in the garage. I'd much rather ride (drive) the Rhino.

I did the Rhino thing this last weekend off Denali. a few observations: They need more oompf, better ground clearance, and at least 27" tires. It was much more relaxing driving other than worrying about getting stuck in every mudhole or hanging up due to poor break over. My fuel economy compared to my buddies Boss 6x6 was amazing. I think I may be in the market for a Ranger 6x6, something I thought I'd never say, being a go fast and climb high kind of guy. I saw those things in places I could not imagine taking anything short of an Argo or MudOx.

I've been thinking a Polaris but the Yamahas seem to be doing pretty well for you guys. I would like a heavier bed capability but then it seems a trailer may be the answer to the hauling problem. There are some wieght restriction in the area I want to use this thing so the 450 works great for under 1500 lb bridge areas.

With 2 people and the moose trailer it seems to pull hills OK if you are not in a hurry. Overheating does sorta worry me. Thanks for the reports!!

I can realate to the comment of going up monument in anything is exiting. even with the argo having 8 wheels on the ground was still an adrenaline rush going up that thing.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

Quote Originally Posted by ARGONUT View Post
    I can realate to the comment of going up monument in anything is exiting. even with the argo having 8 wheels on the ground was still an adrenaline rush going up that thing.
    Did you go up with or without the tracks?