Thread: what prop do you like for a 180?

Default what prop do you like for a 180?

Anybody got any ideas for the best performance from a prop on a C-180.... 82", 88", 3 Blade etc. . I'm thinking about a new prop if the performance will improve enough, if not I'll just get the one on it overhauled. I'm runing a 201 hub now and have been told its not the best. Your thoughts guy's? Thanks Tom

Do not what your prop is now .... I have stayed with McCually, first a C-203 88" with the 0-470, then with the IO-470, I went with a C-230 88" because of the increased HP, happy with both. I have been told that 3 blades weigh more than the two blades and upset the balance of the light early c-180's, nose heavy.

Just because it has an STC does not mean that it is better. For example, I bought a XP-Mod tailwheel and have been very unhappy with it ... my mechanic has almost talked me into a Bush Tailwheel, which other folks have good fealings about. $3300.00 down the tubes.

Find out as much as you can before you jump ..... :~)

sorry to hijack but I love my baby bushwheel on my 185. I had always contemplated xp, baby bush, ak tundra tailwheels until one day I limped home with a flat tailwheel and a moose left at the gravel bar that I needed out the next day. The only option was the baby bushwheel in that short of time and Im glad I went that way. Now with a little over 500 hrs on the tailwheel the only complaint is a slightly heavier foot needed to steer when taxiing very slow and I wish I could find a ski that would be adaptable to the baby bush fork.

not to hijack, but I had an XP tailwheel, and it broke in the field, went with the bushweels, and am very happy with it. On the prop, i would stay with a Mccaully. The 2 blade vs 3 blade is always a debate. For an early 180 on wheels, I would stay with a 2 blade. On floats, I would really have to compare everything. Now, If you really want some performance, and money is no factor, look at MT propellers, or any of the other composites and the symetar props. I flew a 54 180 with a 520 in it with a composite MT symetar prop, and WOW!!! Made my 185 feel like a major slug. But that prop was $12k.
    my .02
    Tim

I had an 88" seaplane prop with my 0-470. If you want STOL performance that's the popular choice. If you want cross country speed you may prefer a shorter version. I'd also look into an MT. I upgraded to an 0-520 and C401-86" 3 blade. I would never go back to a 2 blade.

I've had an XP 14" tailwheel for 10 years. It's been perfect. I wouldn't use any big tailwheel without big mains and the only reason I use one at all is to save the prop when dragging the tail through gravel, sand, and mud. My tailwheel slowed me down more than the swap from 850s to 29" mains. I've considered an Alaska Tundra Tire tailwheel but won't use a Baby Bushwheel on a late model 180 or any 185. Works good on the Cub, though.

Thanks guy's, For the money looks like I'll stay with the 88" Mac. I think I'll upgrade to the 203 hub though. I found O/H'ed one for 4500.00. We fly off smaller strips and really don't go to far most of the time. Up to Anc (110nm) is our long haul. I have the Gar Aero version of the baby bush with a 4.00-4.10x 4 tire. I've never flown anything else except a stock 3400. I found that with the29x11x10 's it was very dificult to see taxiing until I converted over. Then after landing on gravel bars this summer, I'll never go back.. saved the day in big rocks. Its a little hard to turn and like Mr. Pid said boy did it slow me down. I think around 8-10 knots between both tires changes.

Airplane trips 2008 011.jpgMr PID

You are right about the XP-mod tailwheel, I stuck with the 8.50 x 6.00 mains, angle of attack wrong more hp helps on takeoff, and the plane does not steer too well (notice the skid on sand, never did break and swivel) and .... yes .... even though it is in what is considered "dirty air" I lost about 5 to 7 mph in cruise.