Thread: Helping new hunters

Default Helping new hunters

I know that "Stid" had a post on here about this but I couldn't find it to be able to reply. It is really dissapointing to me to see the new hunters on here every fall get the same answers when they ask for help. Most of them get the "in the mountains, woods, etc..." post or the "search the forum, there are plenty of topics on this already on here", "this question has been asked a million times, try reading" posts. Inevitably there will be some post about "d*#$ military people". In the time it took you to post those replies you could have answered the question. Here is a little story about why you should.

I have a friend that had never hunted before until the military took us to Alaska. He wanted to try it out, so I planned a moose hunt. (didn't get anything, it was my first hunt in AK also. Saw a couple good bulls but not enough brow tines and I didn't trust myself to judge inches so we didn't shoot). In November of that year I arranged a whitetail hunt for him on my cousins property in WA. (out of state can buy a tag over the counter) We flew down and I was able to get him his first big game animal in the form of a little "basket" 4x4. After we came back from deployment and were on block leave I took him on a mountain lion hunt in MT. We were able to get on 4 cats during the week he was with us (Mountain Lion is a draw permit in MT, but you can still chase them and take pictures). It has been a few years since all this happened and I rarely ever think about it. The other day I got an email from him. He is out of the military and back in his home state of FL. He joined one of the hunting clubs down there that leases a large tract of land. He invited me to hunt as his guest any time that I can make it. Unfortunately I had to turn it down this year as I will still be in AFG. He said that was fine because it was a standing offer, any season I want to hunt FL I just have to let him know.

I never expected to get anything out of taking him on hunts, I was doing it because he wanted to learn and it is something I enjoy doing. It just goes to show you that donating a little of your time and experience may someday pay off. Even if you dont get anything like that out of it. You still recruited another hunter into the fold and with all the pressure on hunting these days from Anti-hunting groups, adding one more member is good enough payment.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks to all the people that do take time to help out new hunters or just those that are new to the area.

Bo
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

I think you'd be surprised at how much information is shared with new hunters on here, though much of it is done via PM and some of it is done in person. Just this year there have been a number of hunt reports and pictures shared of forum members with new hunters and their first harvest. Additionally, each winter there are gatherings where new members are introduced to experienced hunters and information is shared. Last winter I met a new member for coffee and out of that a full gathering was planned where a lot of good tips were shared. Anyhow...yes, sometimes short answers are given, but when well intentioned new members show up here and invest a bit of time and effort, I've often been impressed at where that leads. We can do better...but there is lots of good that is happening around here and around the hunting community at large.

Getting someone into the 'Fold' is the way to go, teach them to be self reliant.

Start 'em Young.......like a few weeks old, if you can

That was 17 1/2 years ago, now she can can do anything with everything Caribou.
    I have no regrets taking anyone hunting, Good or bad, I learned something every time myself
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I would also like to add to MT_SLDR's post. I too am a recent transplant and had absolutely no one here to show me the ropes about hunting big game in Alaska. Even with a workplace full of Alaskan's (the only people I really knew for a while), and no one was a seasoned hunter. After many postings asking for help, I continued to come up empty handed, even with posts simply wanting to shadow someone and be a pack horse just for the opportunity to tag a long. No worries tho, I continued to read and read and learn as much as possible. Finally, after sending a private message to a member, they actually replied with some helpful information and some ideas on where to start moose hunting. Unfortunately, after 2 years of hunting, I have yet to connect with a moose, but it was not because of this individual's information or suggestions. My odds were easily better! Granted, I did not expect to be told any honey holes, just a some good info on where to start... and that is what I got. This individual actually was not even in the state at the time of providing me with helpful information, so it was impossible for him to show me things first hand. I didn't care as this was the most help I had received to date. He helped me because he wanted to, not because he was going to get something in return. Well, it turns out that where he was temporarily stationed, he now knew nobody and had no way to pursue his love of hunting in that foreign land. Unknown to him, I had family in that state. As a result, I got him in contact with a family friend near by and he had both of his son's harvest their first white tail bucks while down there. If some unfortunate health issues did not arise the following spring, a gobbler and some spawning fish would have also been table fair at his house as well.

Bottom line, he graciously offered to help me out by offering me a little bit of information. Although I have yet to drop a moose (only got a bear under the belt), I was more than happy to hook him up with the white tail contact. I am a firm believer in bending over backwards for those that have unselfishly helped you in the first place.

A quick second story related to this... I grew up fishing in Iowa for paddlefish. I had a guy form Michigan contact me in the Iowa forums asking for help getting him on his first paddlefish. I love helping people fish, so he made the drive down to Iowa and we met up at the river. After a day of fishing, we got him his first paddlefish and many spawning hog stripers. At that time, I did not have plans to come up to Alaska. A couple months later, we were exchanging massages and I told him I couldn't help him out next year because I will be in Alaska. It turns out, he had a good childhood friend that moved up here and runs a halibut charter business out of Homer. Low and behold, I was pointed in his direction and taken out for some amazing fishing when I got up here. What goes around comes around.

I'm with Brian on this one fellas... I STILL search the archives looking for more insight on subject matter; with that being said, I have received ENORMOUS amounts of help, guidance, and tips from many of the members here. Heck, I've been invited into homes by strangers and they have turned out to be some of my best good friends! I am in the flatland for a stretch, but I have been making the time pass quickly working the food plots and setting stands in hopes of putting some members on their first whitetail hunt.

I suppose it is just good blessings sent my way... Yesterday I was in the sportshop checking out some of the bears my students had harvested (16 year old girl took a 258 pounder and 15 year old boy took a 450 pound blackie!), the guy behind the counter said, "hey I've got something to show you!" He pulled out the latest release of MBH and there was a tribute to an excellent long-time hunter and one of the names listed in the memory write up was my father! My dad never had a dad growing up and he looked to others for advice. I'm sure there were jerks back then too, but there were also good men willing to offer a good tip in exchange for cheap beer too!

In the past 18 months I have taken three newbies big game hunting in Alaska, one got a nice brown bear, one a forkie moose, and one an antlerless moose on one hell of a winter hunt. I have also been on two hunts with friends that brought along newbies as well.

I normally try to help people out but am sorry if I do not tell everyone on the forum where I hunt or how I hunt some things are left up to the hunter to figure out, I run into enough people in the areas I use.

It seems like everyone comes to Alaska and wants to shoot one of everything in one season. I always suggest picking the one animal you really want and concentrate on that species.

Lots of people want to go bear hunting and I try and help out there but have not had a single person follow my advice so I stopped giving it.

Oh yeah read the hunting regulations and permit supplements and understand them before applying for permits and or going out hunting.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    A couple months later, we were exchanging massages and I told him I couldn't help him out next year because I will be in Alaska.
    Some people get upset on here because typically the question asked is "Hey, I drew this tag for (insert tag number) and i have never been in that area. Can someone tell me how to get there and where to go?". I would have no issue taking someone who is new to hunting out and showing him the ropes. Part of the fun is learning things on your own though. Everyone on here learns something new and it's from experience and trying new things. It isn't so much what they ask but the manner in which they ask it. Instead of asking for specifics sometimes it's better to ask a few simple questions like equipment recommendations, maybe some calling techniques, etc. just to get your foot in the door. A good question to start with might be, "I've never hunted (insert species) before and I'm willing to help pack and do camp chores if your willing to show me the ropes?". People on here get frustrated at others who don't do there own homework.

If you spent more time exchanging messages instead of massages you might get more helpful info..J/K
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I am all for helping new hunters. However, I have always viewed this forum for learning HOW to hunt and maybe with what tools make the experience better and what not. The WHERE to hunt IMO is best discovered through trial and error. The areas I choose to hunt are places I find during the off season by and large. A good hunting area off the road system are not dime a dozen. Lots of time and effort generally goes into finding these spots. But you have to be doing the leg work to find areas yourself as well. Give up few weekends fishing in the summer and hike some hills in an area you might think has good potential.

Offering your services as a packer is a great idea or splitting the costs of a hunt is another good avenue. I have taken a number of new hunters out hunting and its fun to share the experience with them. However to just tell anybody to go hunt this or that drainage for such and such is never going to happen from me. Selfish maybe, but anyone can get out there pre-season and scout out areas just as easy. But moose hunting isn't always super easy, there is a reason hunter success on moose is roughly 30% or so statewide.

I've got to agree with several posters here...

Most of the requests I see are not "I'm a newbie and I need help" they are requests for locations, access, drainages and other particular information frequently seen as a shortcut to doing legwork prior to season or to shortcut the learning process it takes to consistently harvest game. Either that or one of the million threads on "What caliber rifle for..." or "What handgun for bear protection...". I don't really feel obliged to share any of that information with people that I don't really know or participate is theoretical debate with people who've rarely if ever been to the field.

Within those minority of requests from the true beginners looking for help, I've seen a large amount of support from the forum at large and even within the ranks of the more experienced I've seen a lot of information change hands. I've also seen (and participated) in actually taking these folks hunting and giving them first hand "hands on' experience. So I wouldn't exactly qualify the forum at large as "unhelpful" to any degree for the beginning hunter.

I took a young guy out Sunday evening to score on his first caribou- nothing in it for me other than a trip into the mountains but I enjoyed seeing him bag one more than I enjoyed bagging mine this year and that's a sentiment you'll find on here quite frequently. I was going to take him for his second but after showing him the ropes he only asked to borrow some of my equipment until he can purchase his own next year. Hopefully he is (at this moment no less) using my spotter to track down another one for the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    In the past 18 months I have taken three newbies big game hunting in Alaska, one got a nice brown bear, one a forkie moose, and one an antlerless moose on one hell of a winter hunt. I have also been on two hunts with friends that brought along newbies as well.

I normally try to help people out but am sorry if I do not tell everyone on the forum where I hunt or how I hunt some things are left up to the hunter to figure out, I run into enough people in the areas I use.

It seems like everyone comes to Alaska and wants to shoot one of everything in one season. I always suggest picking the one animal you really want and concentrate on that species.

Lots of people want to go bear hunting and I try and help out there but have not had a single person follow my advice so I stopped giving it.

Oh yeah read the hunting regulations and permit supplements and understand them before applying for permits and or going out hunting.
    So Mike still getting credit for the Kill on the winter moose LOL I thought the moose died of fright from all the lead flying past it LOL .....

From a "newbee" who has offered to be a packrat just to experience alaska, it is not hard to see why i joined this forum after a quick look around!! There are alot of generous, helpful people around here that i would love too meet. From the 'newbee's thanks for spending the time to help fulfill some dreams!! Just keep in mind that some of us are only green to alaska and do our share of bringing out youngsters or new guys to experience the sport elsewhere in the world.

Great Thread keep it going!

Mike

After taking several people hunting this year ... didn't think I was going to be able to help a bona-fide newbie hunter in the field this year. But this past weekend, finally took someone that said they had never hunted before. He had fun with the spruce hens.