Thread: Should I bring wool sweater or fleece jacket?

Default Should I bring wool sweater or fleece jacket?

Should I bring a wool sweater or a fleece jacket to Kupearanoff Island next week? I have a ragg wool sweater and a 300 or 400 weight fleece jacket. Which would match the weather better? The wool is warm when wet but heavy. The fleece is light and quick drying. I don't know if it make much difference. I have the wool packed and used it last year, but I'm thinking of switching it out for the fleece. The wool is a pull over and the fleece zips. Both have hood and pockets.

For the same weight and bulk of wool you can probably pack 3 fleece jackets (at least 2) and I've never seen a case where layering isn't better than not layering. Wool used to be among the best choices available, now I'd almost always choose a synthetic fleece garment over the wool. I must admit I prefer performance over tradition.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Bring BOTH it's getting cold up here. Good hunting.

Haven't been to that place, but have been cold in wet weather. I pack extra merino base layers and double up under fleece, at least if you're going to have to pack whichever you're not wearing. Sounds like a "cool" trip - yuk yuk. Hey, let us know how it went please, and good luck!

Bring both or bring two fleece jackets, cold and wet mean switching out clothing so it will dry.

Whatever you choose, be sure to have a wind/water barrier to wear.

Bring the fleece. You're going to be in SE Alaska in the fall. Whatever you bring WILL get wet. The fleece will dry faster - i.e. you can wring it out and get it nearly dry. Good luck and have fun!

I'd like to bring both and alot of other stuff too but I'm bumping up against the airline's weight limits now. My layers will be wool base layer, wool or microtex pants and microtex shirt, either fleece or wool middle layer, thinsulate jacket and MT50 Gortex bibs and jacket. I'll also have hip boots, breathable waist waders and HH Impertech Guide coat.

Wear layers onto the plane

If you want to save some weight I'd leave the MTO50 Goretex bibs and and coat at home, probably leave the waist waders at home too. The hip boots and HH Impertech coat WILL keep you dry. The $%&# Goretex may work, but I wouldn't depend on it to keep me dry. The Goretex will break the wind, as will the hip boots and HH coat. Just my $0.02 based on many hunting trips to Alaska.

As for the wool sweater or fleece jacket, take the fleece.

Its hard to layer from Alabama where it was 86 degrees today. I'd die while awaiting take off.

My hip boots and HH coat are in Petersburg. I guess I could loose the gore bibs. I really like the wader pants and prefer them over hip boots but I was wondering if they would be as suited to GMU 3 as they were in GMU 17.