Thread: Merc 200 sportjet, how much oil you burning?

Default Merc 200 sportjet, how much oil you burning?

Just curious as to how much oil people were burning, on average, with their 200 Optimax sportjets. I just got back from a long run (around 1000 miles) burned about 425 gallons of gas and about 11 or 12 gallons of oil. This is a 2011 motor with now about 60 hrs. on it. Seems to me that I'm burning way too much oil. We averaged between 4700 and 4900 rpm the whole time, with fairly heavy loads most of the time, so I expected to burn more oil, 11 or 12 gallons just seems a bit excessive to me. Our heaviest wts. onboard were around 3500 lbs. Does this oil to fuel ratio seem normal?

About 38:1 does seem a tad high but I wouldn't be concerned...well not about the boat any ways , maybe about your wallet Are you running stock reeds? I think the oil flow is regulated by a physical cable..could just need the cable adjusted a tad...My ratio is about 50:1 for the sake of comparison....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Hey Tjm....heading to the Yentna on Saturday, meetin @ McDs in Wasilla at 7am...sure would be cool if you could come with...let me know..."fishon"

Default Sounds about right

I've not inquired about the 3 STAR Opti SJ (2010 and up) but, per Merc's tech support: The 2 STAR oil ratio varies from 32:1 ~ 40:1

I am seeing about 50:1 also.
    Mike

I don't have the manual in front of me but the 60 hours on a new engine is the key. The electronic control module is programed deliver extra oil for the first 10(?) hours of run time on a new engine. Also the fuel to oil ratio is not fixed. It varies with engine RPM, (and maybe other engine conditions).
    Anyway I wouldn’t sweat a 38:1 ratio given a new engine and running under load. If you are worried call the dealer. They can give you the details my foggy memory isn’t giving up at the moment.

Congrats on a new boat!

hello mine did the same and i called compeaus about it and was told around 50 hours it will go down witch it did,,,,
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Just curious as to how much oil people were burning, on average, with their 200 Optimax sportjets. I just got back from a long run (around 1000 miles) burned about 425 gallons of gas and about 11 or 12 gallons of oil. This is a 2011 motor with now about 60 hrs. on it. Seems to me that I'm burning way too much oil. We averaged between 4700 and 4900 rpm the whole time, with fairly heavy loads most of the time, so I expected to burn more oil, 11 or 12 gallons just seems a bit excessive to me. Our heaviest wts. onboard were around 3500 lbs. Does this oil to fuel ratio seem normal?

I guess I'll see next year if it improves. I have 62 or 63 hours on it now and just put it away for the winter. I figured it up exactly and I averaged 34.4 gas to 1 oil.

I used to have a couple of Merc Opti's and your break-in period sounds about right. The engines have two break in periods. The most oil until around 10 hours and then you oil use will go down after 50 to 60 hours. Have fun with the boat next summer.