Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference in sheep and goat country?

Default What's the difference in sheep and goat country?

I've been trying to determine this and it seems that they are kind of similar thoughI know they are probably different in some significant ways. What are they? Photos would be helpful.

Default Goat Country

goat09_039.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]53084I'll try to keep this simple. Both inhabit steep terrain. Goats tend enjoy more of it. They will make a sheer wall of 2,000 vertical feet their home territory. My impression of sheep is that they will find pockets of steep with less vertical, perhaps 500 vertical feet.

The attached photos are goat country. The big scene photo is excellent goat habitat and the ravine in the middle is 2000 ft. of wall. The other close up photo is the very top of a 4,000 spire of rock with a goat in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is sure steep! I guess you don't get a do over if you slip and fall.

Here's some goats in sheep country...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Crazy goats!

goat country will scare you and sheep country usually won't.....
    if sheep country typically scares you, might wanna steer clear of goats...
    (not a hard fast rule, but the majority of the time it seems to hold true)
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Hunting mountain goats is like running the 400 meters in track and field. Run as hard as you can for one lap and then puke. LOL It is often an explosive exertion and the bulk of the hunt can occur in one or two hard days. The direction is mostly up. Hunting sheep is like running the 1600 meters (one mile). You are still pressing yourself, but there is more of a pace to it. . . . and you might still puke at the end. LOL The trek might last 6 or 8 or 10 days to find the sheep you take. The direction is up and down then up and down. There is a physical and mental toll to be paid hunting either.

There are many on this forum with much more experience and skill with both species (some have already commented on this thread in fact), but this explanation of the differences has always made sense to me. The terrain bears this comparison out I believe. I'll try to attach a couple pictures that I have as reference. Their locations are not totally mutually exclusive, but they tend to have a different feel in apperance and demand. Hope this helps. . . . . first photo "sheepy" and second photo "goaty". LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

One analogy I have told for many years is " sheep will shudder where goats travel"

Ya gotta wonder just how many goats and sheep fall to their death accidently - they can't all land on good footing???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My admittedly limited experience says you'll sooner find a goat on accessible terrain than a ram.

They are in in "The Happy Hunting Grounds"..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzKUzRJUzQ0

"Sheep go to Heaven, Goats go to Hell"..........~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The Difference:

Sheep country......."Boy this is going to be a lot of work!"

Goat country........."Like hell I'm going up there! I'll watch you from down hear!"

A little "mountain levity"........

Brett

Goat hunting can lead you into "sucker holes", too often you can get up, but getting down safely is a different situation.

I think I'm getting the idea. Brett seems to sum it up best.

Goats seem to be less skittish in my limited experience. They tend to have a comfort circle that is within range of a reasonably good marksman. Sheep tend to leave the country if they bust you a lot further away. Of the 2 goats and 1 sheep I have been involved in harvesting the sheep was in much worse terrain. That said there were many other goats in the valley that I would have needed a helicopter to get close enough to for a shot! I am a cautious mountain hunter and found that given enough time a goat will move into a spot where you can get them. I have seen sheep spend an entire hunt in impossible terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Goat hunting can lead you into "sucker holes", too often you can get up, but getting down safely is a different situation.
    And I like to call them "pucker holes"When you no what your climbing, there is no way you can come down the same way you came up.Just had such a climb this September for a dang nannie.A smart man once told me while I was young,"climb down the same way you come up or it will lead to a dead man" And I finally learned,cliffs look so much better when you can see them,when you split apart the alders to find a 500' cliff it make the pucker factor set in!!

In sheep country, I've only been scared for a minute or so,it is most times loaded and climbing out,But ive seen some smart rams head to and stay in "goat worthy cliffs and craigs" for my whole hunt.

Man you have to love mountain critters!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    And I like to call them "pucker holes"When you no what your climbing, there is no way you can come down the same way you came up.Just had such a climb this September for a dang nannie.A smart man once told me while I was young,"climb down the same way you come up or it will lead to a dead man" And I finally learned,cliffs look so much better when you can see them,when you split apart the alders to find a 500' cliff it make the pucker factor set in!!

In sheep country, I've only been scared for a minute or so,it is most times loaded and climbing out,But ive seen some smart rams head to and stay in "goat worthy cliffs and craigs" for my whole hunt.

Man you have to love mountain critters!!
    And a little insane.

Oh, I've hiked long valleys for goats too. The end game is just different.

IME, only 2 of the 7 goats I have seen where they were taken from I would make it up the sketch factor scale very high. Granted I was hunting Kodiak which tends to have tamer hills (don't tell my wife I said that). One of the sketchy one on the Kenai Peninsula and the other was when BRWNBR's 9.5" billy fell in a kind of hole that was a bit of a scramble to get down to and out of.

But 2 of the 4 sheep I have been in involved with were right up there with those two goat hunts in certain parts of the stalk.

Goat and sheep country vary from different parts of the State. In general I have observed that goat country begins where sheep country ends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast