Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoring Caribou?

Default Scoring Caribou?

Well, shot a nice little caribou, and am curious as to what he may score. I have absolutely zero experience (first caribou) in scoring these critters, and am hoping maybe someone could offer a little advice, tips, etc...

Or, if anybody around Anchorage or the Valley happens to be an official scorer, and wouldn't mind taking a gander, that would be great.

As a born and raised Alaskan of over 30 years, and never of the stature to "earn" a Nelchina tag, grateful for the chance to finally hunt the Nelchina herd.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Thanks Laker, I've already found the instructions and attempted to score it myself, but I think the opinion of a person who actually knows what they are doing would be a good thing. Not sure if he'll make the book, but think he might be close...Maybe I should start a guess the score thread, laffin.

Did I miss seeing the picture? Wow, you say he may make the book. Please post picture. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Did I miss seeing the picture? Wow, you say he may make the book. Please post picture. Thanks.
    Gonna start a new thread....

Give me a call tomorrow, I am not a official scorer. But I can do it, walk you through the steps and point ya in the right direction.

I'll guess 380's net

from the other pics, I think it'll go over 400 - The top points appear to be around 20"-24". If the beams go over 50" (& I think they will), it should easily hit 400. My son shot a bull a few years ago that hit right at 399 & it didn't have the beams this one looks to have. The kid's bou also didn't have as strong bez's as J's has either. Just guessing, but over 400.
    Scoring them is actually pretty simple - just follow the giude that B&C has on the web. Remember to measure points to the BOTTOM of the beam, to allow for palmation. (All other antlered animals are only measured to the top of the beam.) If you want someone to give assistance & moral support, I'd be glad to assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    from the other pics, I think it'll go over 400 - The top points appear to be around 20"-24". If the beams go over 50" (& I think they will), it should easily hit 400. My son shot a bull a few years ago that hit right at 399 & it didn't have the beams this one looks to have. The kid's bou also didn't have as strong bez's as J's has either. Just guessing, but over 400.
    Scoring them is actually pretty simple - just follow the giude that B&C has on the web. Remember to measure points to the BOTTOM of the beam, to allow for palmation. (All other antlered animals are only measured to the top of the beam.) If you want someone to give assistance & moral support, I'd be glad to assist.
    Agreed. I'm betting at 400 b&c or right over.

Just a quick update, went to Mountain View Sports and had Sarah show me how to score this thing. Thanks a ton Sarah, I really appreciate it. We came up with a green score of 424 and 2/8 net...I am gonna sit down here and work on getting the story into words, I'll post it on the other thread, although, I am still quite speechless.

I believe it will cost you to get it officially scored. Don't know how much. Additionally, to actually get an animal entered in the B&C, it will end up getting measured, remeasured, and remeasured again.
    I imagine others will correct any mistakes in my post.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

You are right martentrapper, they have three different people score it, and take the average. Story is posted in new thread, September to Remember....

There is no charge for Official Measurers to score. If they do, it is a no-no, and should be reported to BnC.
    Was the Sara score Gross or Net?
    Thanks.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff U View Post
    There is no charge for Official Measurers to score. If they do, it is a no-no, and should be reported to BnC.
    Was the Sara score Gross or Net?
    Thanks.
    Jeff
    Net.......

Just a thought - you could take a digital photo of the score sheet and post it here. A few of us (myself included) might enjoy seeing some measurements. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means doubting it scores that high, just be fun to see the measurements is all. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Just a thought - you could take a digital photo of the score sheet and post it here. A few of us (myself included) might enjoy seeing some measurements. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means doubting it scores that high, just be fun to see the measurements is all. Cheers.
    jpost, I'll see what I can do...

Default Scoresheet

My photobucket account isn't working tonight, so I'll see if this pic shows up big enough to make any sense of...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Gary, thanks for the pointers. I sure hope you are right about measuring to the bottom to the beam (not that I am doubting ya, I just don't know, this is all new to me). Thinking back, I don't think that is how we did it, so maybe I'll squeeze out a few more inches.

Default 424 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    My photobucket account isn't working tonight, so I'll see if this pic shows up big enough to make any sense of...
    It's perfectly legible, except the entry you made into into the field called: "Exact locality where killed".

Again, congrats!
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

Oops, just figured out where I messed up. I counted the greatest spread towards my spread credit, whereas I should have just used the Inside Spread of the main beams....minus 2 points, oh well...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Oops, just figured out where I messed up. I counted the greatest spread towards my spread credit, whereas I should have just used the Inside Spread of the main beams....minus 2 points, oh well...LOL
    Bad you... that means its just a dumb little 422..... (typed by yet-another green-with-jealousy fellow member, here).
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast