Thread: Poachers-You make hunters look bad!

Default Poachers-You make hunters look bad!

Been hunting the same piece of private property for more than a dozen years, and I'm always picking up garbage (including spent hulls) and seeing poacher's truck and ATV tracks in the grass. Bothersome behavior, to say the least.

Yesterday morning I was again walking the fields toward a favorite spot where the dogs usually find some grouse. Oddly I saw a covey of grouse fly over and disappear in the distance. Figured either a coyote or a poacher. As the dogs and I made our way through the CRP we came upon a maroon colored regular cab Ford pickup moving along the windrow towed us. I called in my dogs and waved the two men over. No way would they come over to me and head off through the field, stopping on the other side of the field to perhaps ponder the situation just out of my view. Then they simply resumed what they likely refer to as hunting, but certainly is not. I found a fresh Coke can on the ground where they drove. The entire farm had been driven over that morning.

I loathe these type of people. You make real hunters look very bad. Shame on you.

Ditto. could not agree more.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Jim you are right on. I just got back from 2 weeks in the Delta area grouse hunting and fly fishing and as always picked up my share of litter. Bird numbers seem to be better this year then I found in the last few years but I still only took a few as always. I go for my dogs and it does me good just to walk as well. Caught lots og real nice grayling during the mayfly hatches as well. Litter has always been a problem, my wife and I have been going there for almost 30 years now. My gamebag is always got plenty of litter in it. I keep a trash can in the SUV so I can empty between "walks". Also a good freind saw my vehicle in front a store and came in to find me. He was alittle annoyed that a fellow hunter that he and I know bragged about taking 44 grouse. I do not think that helps hunters out either as non hunters vote and may not take to kindly to that type of talk if they hear it. I really love the Delta area but access is becomming more of a problem and I believe it is in part is the result of "hunters" like the ones who wouldn't come over to you.

I just don't get people. I'm so sick of picking up others trash. I guess the best way to hunt Delta is to tresspass and poach. No respect.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

These SOBs made the driving rounds of all the fields again yesterday before I began my morning hunt. The dogs never found a covey, only young singles all day. I picked up only one can yesterday. In the past, when I locked the gates they simply made a new road where they pleased. Now the gates are left open and someone took the most recent posted sign. The property owner is furious.

those people are gonna keep doing as they please, they have no respect for anyone,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Where is AWT when needed. What a shame that people have to behave that way. Nothing resembling stewardship by those driving around gates and trespassing. It was that way 15 years ago when I had my last chance to hunt the Delta.

Things won't change unless there are consequences to those actions. Landowners are often too busy to respond to tresspassing or they are out of town. It takes too much time for "us" to run-down trespassers and litter bugs and the experience is generally nauseating to boot. If we don't try when we can (cameras, dated pictures, notebooks ... you know the drill better than I...) the landowners will band together and close the whole area.

The AWT needs more people in the field. The old style "game wardens" we had in Wisconsin when I was a kid might be good. We have the same number of brown shirts we had 10-years ago.

I hope it gets better out there for you...

Default Spike strips

I would assume it's legal to place spike strips on your own property. It stinks that I'm even considering what I would do but warning those that have permission and letting the others find out for themselves. I would think that might discourage them at least until they could get new tires and drive around the strip/gate later that day. These guys seem like the type that if something inconveniences them they will just go somewhere "easier." I refer to these type by many names but I think turd suffices for this site.
    Go Big Red!