Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best antler removing device

Default Best antler removing device

Just wanting to get a few opinions on what the best weapon is to remove antlers.(excluding a chainsaw and a sawsall)

Well so much for my suggestion (chainsaw)

So are you asking the merits of a hatchet versus a hand saw or something?

I'm not sure I get this thread...

If you just want the cap, I find skinning it back past the ears and to the bridge of the nose, then a hatchet across the eyes, followed by more hatchet from the back of the braincavity sections it off quickly. I like to skin em first, easier than when taken off, and try to get as much brain stuff out as it turns sour quick and makes for some rough stink.

When I've tried it with saws it's just awkward and not all that effective.

Never done a european, but would like to if I could just stop shooting them more than 400 yards off the water
    Last edited by Catch It; 09-19-2011 at 12:49. Reason: all thumbs

Removing antlers with a skull cap, or just sawing off the antlers? Either way, I've had great luck with Stanley SharpTooth saws. They are a cut both ways (push and pull) wood saw that cuts bone like no tomorrow.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

This in an any bull area.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I usually use a hacksaw.

wyoming saw.jpgMy vote for moosy sized critters is
    A chainsaw
    B sawzaw
    C Wyoming Game saw
    The Wyoming comes with 3 blades - the finest is much like a hack saw and works pretty good on big game heads. It helps a BUNCH to split the scalp with a sharp knife so a saw ( any type ) does not have to try to go through the hair and skin and get all gummed up. If you can make some cuts with the saw on say a moose then many times a soft blow or two with a hatchet will finish the job....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My Wyoming saw has always done the trick for me, and much lighter to tote around than any chainsaw I know of.

300 rum

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    wyoming saw.jpgMy vote for moosy sized critters is
    A chainsaw
    B sawzaw
    C Wyoming Game saw
    The Wyoming comes with 3 blades - the finest is much like a hack saw and works pretty good on big game heads. It helps a BUNCH to split the scalp with a sharp knife so a saw ( any type ) does not have to try to go through the hair and skin and get all gummed up. If you can make some cuts with the saw on say a moose then many times a soft blow or two with a hatchet will finish the job....
    This sounds much better than my little hand saw that I spent an hour using.... My hands are still sore from it...lol

thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    My Wyoming saw has always done the trick for me, and much lighter to tote around than any chainsaw I know of.
    I hear ya 338WM, I have used this saw for too many years to count.
    Now, a few years ago I bought a Stihl 192 CE chainsaw ( 7.4lbs ) to drag along on moose hunts for antler removal and mainly trail clearing duties. It works great and is pretty easy on the back and makes nice campfire log cuts! First time we packed a moose about 3/4 of a mile thru timber tripping over deadfalls I swore I would have a lightweight saw next time - it has proven to be a good investment!
    Glad to help AK_Griz! Best of luck to ya!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

It's definitely a hack job, but I've cut the skull caps off several bulls with a 26" Estwing camper's axe. It's messy, but I can get the job done in just a few minutes. Try to avoid hitting the eye with the axe because they have a tendency to squirt fluid right at your face....

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Removing antlers with a skull cap, or just sawing off the antlers? Either way, I've had great luck with Stanley SharpTooth saws. They are a cut both ways (push and pull) wood saw that cuts bone like no tomorrow.
    This is sooo spot on, those saws go thru anything darn quick, I've cut off skull caps, legs, ribs, goes thru them like butter. Also they fit in a pack or an ATV bag perfectly, takes up less room than a chain saw or a recipricating saw.

I used a wyoming saw this last week, can't say I liked it as well, and it doesn't fit under a caribou's shovel worth a hoot.

Sharkbite handsaw, less than 20" overall and weighes next to nothing. Plus, it can be used to clear trails- just a little slower than a bowsaw.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    Try to avoid hitting the eye with the axe because they have a tendency to squirt fluid right at your face....
    And there goes my breakfast. Thanks.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

We used a gerber saw for a sheep this year and it sucked! Ended up grabbing a rock after sawing for an eternity. A few well placed smacks on the bridge of the nose and base of the skull finally got it to pop off though. Seemed weird smashing it in the face with a rock like that...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    We used a gerber saw for a sheep this year and it sucked! Ended up grabbing a rock after sawing for an eternity. A few well placed smacks on the bridge of the nose and base of the skull finally got it to pop off though. Seemed weird smashing it in the face with a rock like that...
    I can see a plane load of PETA members flying over ya Lujon and seeing ya bashing that critter with a rock and them thinking what an animal he must be, he doesn't even use a gun!

I haven't bought one yet, but I'm looking at a Sven saw. I carry my Wetterlings large hunting axe usually, and also want to get a Wetterlings wildlife axe to save some weight. For a mountain hunt I think the Sven saw would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    And there goes my breakfast. Thanks.
    Everyone should have the same experience I did. Maybe I shouldn't have given the warning....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast