Thread: Where have the Denali Hwy Grayling Gone

Default Where have the Denali Hwy Grayling Gone

Went to check out some fall colors this past weekend on the Denali Hwy so took the rods and hit up some of the same streams I had great success on the past few years. Aside from one fair sized grayling the fish were no where to be found on the rivers/streams that I usually hit. Did catch some out of the lake with the lodge (blanking the name) near Paxon but that was about it. Just for my notebook and future years is it just too late to fish the rivers on the Denali or am I just that bad a fisherman?

I'd blame the increased pressure on the highway due to the Tier 1 caribou hunt...

Joking aside, where else did you try? That's a long road going by lots of water...

I have never fished this late along the Denali HWY, but I would not be surprised to find that the majority of fish have migrated into the lakes and/or larger rivers for the winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I have never fished this late along the Denali HWY, but I would not be surprised to find that the majority of fish have migrated into the lakes and/or larger rivers for the winter months.
    Maybe, but they're still way up the Chena (still getting good-sized ones above mile 51) and the water's getting chillier. If it's been raining down there anything like it's been raining around Fairbanks the river might be blown out - look in quiet backwaters and sloughs.

I've noticed that as it gets later in the year they tend to concentrate in specific places rather than spread out to take full advantage of all the good holding points. Inlets of lakes can be particularly popular at this time, but not necessarily every lake. Of course if the water they are in is destined to freeze solid, they may need a long head start to get to wherever they spend the winter as well.

they probably migrated to bigger water for the winter.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I would guess migration and water levels. If it is low they may tend to head to the bigger water earlier.