Thread: Camptrails Freighter

Default Camptrails Freighter

Still using one, cause it has not worn out yet and works..sort like my 300 H&H, 200 NP, Surplus H4831, 3X Leupold, Weaver rings, Zeiss Dialyt 8X30 Bino, Randall #3 and Ruana small sticker

I wanted to share though, that as I hefted the pack, shrugged my shoulders, and reached behind me to put the pack frame up high, I impaled my index finger on one of the keeper rings that retains the hip belt. Half the ring ran into my finger and stopped underneath the nail! Nice! Did I mention I had a full load of meat on board as well?

My buddy helped me get the pack off, I had to use the trusty leatherman to open the ring and remove.
    Yes, I treated puncture wound and since got a tetanus shot.

Be careful out there!

if it ain't worn out...you need to hunt more...amen?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

300 H&H with 200 NP......I'm only 35 and know what your talking about there. I hunt with such a combination. It was my grandpas first rifle and I love to take it out. Ditto, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Keeper rings? I've used safety pins with good success.

I replace all those pin'thingies with Eye'bolts and nylock nuts, that way there is something to rope and bungie to. And I do replace "ALL" even the shoulder straps, the bag attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Keeper rings? I've used safety pins with good success.
    Ouch those would really go deep! Think I will wrap all in 100 mile an hour tape, like we used to do 782 gear...

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I replace all those pin'thingies with Eye'bolts and nylock nuts, that way there is something to rope and bungie to. And I do replace "ALL" even the shoulder straps, the bag attachment.
    good idea, I thought bolts, eye bolts seem more better!
    ...course makes in field adjustments more difficult and adds a few ounces for the weight conscious.
    Gear was limited to 50lbs on this trip, plus rifle, so I ahd to cut the handle off the tootbrush type of stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    Ouch those would really go deep! Think I will wrap all in 100 mile an hour tape, like we used to do 782 gear...
    I use the old type safety pins that hospitals used for pinning slings. They never come loose unintentionally or by accident and are stainless. I just hate undoing those circular pin keepers which generally take a knife blade to get over the pin.

The eye bolt idea sounds good and very permanent. I still like my old army pressed wood pack board made in 1943 because it has dozens of places to tie off to.

I used a camptrails freighter for about 3 years until the load of moose meat and antlers I had on it snapped the frame in half! Lucky I had a spare one in camp to finish the job. Upgraded to barneys and won't look back at an external frame pack.

I have one that is 24 years old and still works just fine....smells a little funny from carry meat. I also have a camptrails tent I bought at the same time. It still works and I loan it out some and it doesn't leak. I think they were made in Tiawan and are pretty good stuff.

My only close encounter with a brown bear occured on the North East side of Kodiak hunting black tail...small sow came out of the alders and snorted at me. I had my rifle hung over the pack frame post and the sling got caught on one of those pins with the rings and I couldn't get the gun off the frame. The sow just watched me for a few seconds and went back into the brush...never saw her again. I had to take the pack off to get the rifle off the frame....never did that again but I do have the rings wrapped with electrical tape. AGL's idea of eyebolts is a good one!!