Thread: Anyone run the Salcha recently?

Default Anyone run the Salcha recently?

How are the conditions on the river generally? Am I going to be able to make it back the 40 some odd miles it is to the archery only moose hunt or should we be looking at a diferent option? Dont want your spot just some general info and an opertunity to put meat on the table for my family......advice is greatly appreciated!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

My roommate just got back from hunting the Salcha last weekend. Him and a buddy took there jet boats up 70 miles he said. A little after that he said it was kinda iffy in the boats.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Isn't Goose Creek seventy plus river miles up? Or am I thinking of a different creek? The river has always been iffy above Caribou Creek for jet boats....those gawd-awful airboats could get through though.......

The Slana Near Nabesna looks like a good motor canoe river, any one run it it looks deep. Also always wanted to run the Nabesna river
    but do not know about access and river may not be suitable for prop. Northway looks only access. Native no tresspass signs from Nabesna to Tok
    seem to be everywhere on road access from Nabesna to Tok.

After 3 days of motoring/linning the boat, we broke 2 props and bent the shaft on the out borad........motor failed completely mid day of day 3! One of the toughest trips I have done in a long time.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Sorry to hear that, Rick.

IMG_3235.jpgNo worries Dean.......we are all home safe, I call that a succesful trip.
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    After 3 days of motoring/linning the boat, we broke 2 props and bent the shaft on the out borad........motor failed completely mid day of day 3! One of the toughest trips I have done in a long time.
    Like offered before hunting season,
    I can still help you build a lift system for your canoe if you'd like. I know that you thought the shallow water drive (built into the outboard motor) was the way to go but as you have shown, the shallow water drive only exposes your lower unit to very severe abuse on shallow rivers with at it's weakest and most vulnerable point. You need to lift the motor directly vertical, only achievable by a lift. You then only bounce the prop protector off rocks which is much easier on the motor.

That's a very successful trip. Nice two bladed prop you got there.....

I had an old friend who always pushed the limit in everything he did. We took a hunting trip one weekend around our island (150 miles) without success and when we returned he said he was sorry we weren't successful and I told him, "Rog, any time we come back alive and in one peace I consider that a success".

IMG_3250.jpg Thats what Tracy said too Dean......got a neat 3 bladed prop for sale, if your lookin'.
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P;101205 [ATTACH=CONFIG
    53330[/ATTACH] Thats what Tracy said too Dean......got a neat 3 bladed prop for sale, if your lookin'.
    I'm partial to one-bladed props.