Thread: Best boat/motor combo?

Default Best boat/motor combo?

I have seen a lot of great boat/motor setups for duck hunting. What do you guy think is the best, most versatile combo? I have been thinking of scraping my scanoe and going with a 14' Jon boat with a 9 to 14 hp. longtail. I figure this is about as much of a boat that I can portage. Is a 14' Jon boat to small for 20 mile, Kinick or river fishing in the summer?

Thanks

I would highly recomend the 48 inch bottom rather then the 36 in bottom. Should work well. Remember, every boat is a compromise. None are perfect. Bud
    Wasilla

I don't know what kind of rip current might exist in 20 Mile or Knik when the tide goes out, but I have enough umph with an 8 to go up the rivers around here with both dogs and two bags of decoys. Honestly I don't know if I'd want to portage a 14' aluminum boat by myself. My 12' is heavy enough, and it fits in the back of the truck whereas the 14 does not.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

you are on the right track. For most rivers. creeks and marshes in Alaska. Seems the 14ft has worked for me...current and your question on is it enough boat..that depends on your confidence in your equipment and if your spider senses are tweek'ed. I have been in situations in Rabbit Slough with a few hunters,dog and decoys..and had to really slow to a crawl..wont explain in detail..but it doesnt have Duk Sub on the back for nothing..lol

If you are going to hunt single with a dog and decoys.. I would go with some form of a marsh boat with a longtail or the copperhead. If you are going to be hunting with someone most of the time. Then the 14ft will do just fine and also serve as a good fishing boat with a 9hp longtail or the 12hp copperhead. Why not just get both..lol

I will say this..you will not portage the 14ft jon by yourself if you are considering DL..I am fortunate to have had buddies out there or had a friend go with me to assist in this.

when I return. I am getting the 12hp copperhead for my 14fter and think this will work fine. I am also going to get a Chuck Huff style marsh boat for my days I go alone.
    http://www.mightylayoutboys.com/chuckhuff.htm
    I think for most marshes and small water this boat is perfect for any waterfowler.

Good luck..my 2cents
    DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I like that Chuck Huff from MLB too. The only problem is shipping a boat up.

I am over on Kodiak and shipping is beyond crazy from the lower 48.

My next option is to build one. I like www.tollerboatworks.com and Devlin for ideas. I would really like to build a12'- 14' low profile boat 10is hp that could handle the bays well. The Devlin black brant, and broadbill are both great looking as well.

I really want to upgrade from the battle kayak this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    when I return. I am getting the 12hp copperhead for my 14fter and think this will work fine. I am also going to get a Chuck Huff style marsh boat for my days I go alone.
    http://www.mightylayoutboys.com/chuckhuff.htm
    I think for most marshes and small water this boat is perfect for any waterfowler.
    DH
    keep in mind that the MLB boats are fairly heavy fiberglass hulls. You can spend some more money for kevlar maybe. the new owner has really stripped down the website so there is much less info on the boats than when Mark owned it.

The Chuck Huff is suitable for planing speeds, but for just one hunter the wigeon might be more manageable alone. Both boats are awesome, so either choice you will enjoy. If you are planning on picking one up and then driving it up after deployment then keep on eye on the classifieds over on duckboats.net. Various MLB boats come up for sale over there often and you might be able to get a used boat for a little less.

Good luck in which ever sand box they are sticking you in.

This is good info - appreciate it!

My custom hybrid is about perfect for me and a dog. 10.5ft long running a 10hp on the back. Runs faster then anyone should want to go in a 10' boat. weights 100# so I can portage it by myself. Handles rough water better then any 14' jon boat. Can use it as a layout or with a pop up blind and it hides in next to no cover. I have owned a lot of boats over the years and this on is by leaps and bounds the best. Its a fiberglass over wood boat. next year I'll have the exact same thing but aluminum and with a 12hp copperhead mud motor. and of course some minor tweeks

If you want to sell it after this season, let me know. My 13' Herters duck boat is too small and tipy for me. pm would be great. Bud
    Wasilla

Id like to see a pic of this boat...

Here it is. I'll get some pictures of it on the water this weekend
    DSC02477.jpgDSC02479.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by shanetrube View Post
    Id like to see a pic of this boat...
    Not just Griff's boat, but here is a 182 page forum with pics of hundreds of Hybrids. If you are not a member there are a few attachments you can't see, but most are view able to the public.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=602498

Thanks Ray...Appreciate the info. I will keep that in mind.
    On the size and weight.. I have seen one in person and know they are heavier than Griffs...for sure. I loved the style and with as much stuff and decoys that I have to hunt with along with another 4 legged partner I plan on getting.. I think it will work. I will keep an eye on one for sale.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Griffin, what did you do extra to beef up your boat for the 10 hp. everybody else is talking about a elect motor or weed eater. They look good, have you seen any info about a 12 x 4. I'd really like to have more room for my dog, deks and the occasional 2nd hunter. Wish my garage was heated so I could work on it in the winter. Bud
    Wasilla