Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6x6 ranger down for the count!

Default 6x6 ranger down for the count!

Well me and my daughter took off into the wilds of unit 13 moose hunting. Made it all the way to keg creek, we drove around glassing and having a great time. Weds notice a intermittent sound coming from the ranger, thought nothing of it. Figured it was shocks or something or sticks rubbing on something. So drop the skid plate Thursday morning clean all the mud out. So we pull camp and head back towards caribou lake, the sound I have been hearing still there, then it turned into a grinding sound the it got worse and worse finally at caribou lake all 4 back tires locked up and the mighty 2011 ranger 6x6 with 300 miles on it sat with a broke tranny So there I sit 36 miles from nowhere with my daughter and about 4-5 miles from the nearest camp. So out of the blue 2 fellas on wheelers show and some more on a Argo. The guys in the Argo load my daughter and meat wagon and go to there camp. I hitch a ride with one of the fellas on the wheelers. In short call HP Polaris on a SAT phone the new tranny will be here' weds and me and some buds headed out next Friday evening to go put the tranny in it. Side note I'm running 27 midlife xtr, I pulled the belt housing off to make sure the belt and clutch were good. The secondary will just spin with belt on. That's how I knew the tranny was toast. So if anyone wants to go for a ride let me know bring a tent. I'm pretty sure I got the biggest lemon from Polaris I have also broke 3 halfshafts/driveshafts.

The new rangers have been dropping like flies this season, I doubt you've got a lemon...might as well have the updated fan installed while you're at it, they WILL break on you....then there's the wiring harness that won't strand you but affect your idle speed...do I even need to mention the CV's on the mid axel?...oh yeah, go easy on the throttle when your wheels are turned or you might be yanking a front shaft out to make it back to the truck...lol.......I still wouldn't trade my ranger for any other wheeler out there...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I do have a new fan one of the blades broke off the old one. The two rear halfshaft already broke and one of the intermediates broke as well. I love it when its running but I have lost all confidence in it big time.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I do have a new fan one of the blades broke off the old one. The two rear halfshaft already broke and one of the intermediates broke as well. I love it when its running but I have lost all confidence in it big time.
    i hear ya...the new ones are much nicer as far as ride quality, but they just don't seem to be as resilient, especially when traveling with large loads...every new ranger i've seen this year (5 of them) has had issues serious enough to strand you...I'm sure it will get better as later models come to market...at this point I'm glad that I haven't upgraded yet ...
    ...we did haul out 2 moose and 2 camps and 2 guys in one trip this fall, it was 40+ miles grossing approx 4000 lbs with a 2012 6x ranger...not too shabby
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

My buddy's CF MOTO (aka MF NOGO) broke a rear rim on that trail around mile 11 coming back. We had to take the rim off, drive all the way to Anchorage, where we fixed it, RedNeck style with a peice of metal and a tube. By the way there are no CF MOTO rims to be bought in Alaska. They don't quite fit. We only made it in 22 miles to 12 mile creek. Never seen so many people on a trail in my life.
    But your story is mich worse than mine. Good luck.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Not sure what to say about these 6x Rangers. I pull through some really nasty trails and never once have an issue. On my second 4x with no factory issues whatsoever. Hopefully you get things squared away.

Also have a 09 ranger that is bullet proof 1200 miles on it.

Also have a 09 ranger that is bullet proof 1200 miles on it.

Just stated I was thinking about a Ranger 6x6 on another thread, maybe not.

I don't want to light the fire here and I am sorry you broke down like that and ruined your trip, but itsoulds like Polaris to me. My buddy growing up had 2 that were piecers my boss had 2 that sucked and my current riding buddy has one that is making some kind of noise grinding when he starts it. I do like the concept of the 6x6 but I doubt I'll ever buy a Polaris. Hope your hole season wasn't a bust.

sorry about your luck. as far as polaris, i will never own any other brand(unless i get any extremely great buy on a used "other" brand). I have 2 '91 trailboss 350's and a '85 250. i finally had to replace the tranny in the 250 last spring. i have weel over 2000 miles on each one and with 2 teenage boys(and thier buddies) i think they have held up well!

I picked up the new tranny yesterday we are taking off tomorrow evening to the Denali head in Saturday morning and put her in and probably come out Sunday. Maybe we will get lucky and find a bear to shoot as well. I love Polaris wheelers the previous ones I have ahd were bullet proof still have one a 09 ranger. Think the starter might be going out but that is acceptable. Polaris has the market cornered on the 6x6 until one of the other manufactures comes out with something comaparable you are stuck with the Polaris if you want a 6x6.

Well? How did it go? If you haven't gone yet; let me kow; we can run in with you. Which side of the lake is it on?

There's another thread on it back up n runnin. Headed to Petersville tomorrow to break and/or shoot at something, or both.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default I know what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Well me and my daughter took off into the wilds of unit 13 moose hunting. Made it all the way to keg creek, we drove around glassing and having a great time. Weds notice a intermittent sound coming from the ranger, thought nothing of it. Figured it was shocks or something or sticks rubbing on something. So drop the skid plate Thursday morning clean all the mud out. So we pull camp and head back towards caribou lake, the sound I have been hearing still there, then it turned into a grinding sound the it got worse and worse finally at caribou lake all 4 back tires locked up and the mighty 2011 ranger 6x6 with 300 miles on it sat with a broke tranny So there I sit 36 miles from nowhere with my daughter and about 4-5 miles from the nearest camp. So out of the blue 2 fellas on wheelers show and some more on a Argo. The guys in the Argo load my daughter and meat wagon and go to there camp. I hitch a ride with one of the fellas on the wheelers. In short call HP Polaris on a SAT phone the new tranny will be here' weds and me and some buds headed out next Friday evening to go put the tranny in it. Side note I'm running 27 midlife xtr, I pulled the belt housing off to make sure the belt and clutch were good. The secondary will just spin with belt on. That's how I knew the tranny was toast. So if anyone wants to go for a ride let me know bring a tent. I'm pretty sure I got the biggest lemon from Polaris I have also broke 3 halfshafts/driveshafts.
    I just bought one this year, it is impressive what it will go through when it runs, but i have walked home all but once since owning it, the last several trips i babied the rig through everything and still broke a prop shaft and axle, walking home again. I am really second guessing my decision on buying the ranger, I work with several guys who swear by them but when I hear them talk its always about fixing something. I had a can am for 3 years and beat the hell out of it and the only issue I had was a cv axle, that was only because the boot had torn, still rode it for a few days and it got me out, it was clunking pretty good by the end of it but it got me out. I had very high hopes for this machine but so far it costs me $400 dollars in parts per tank of fuel, thats hardly worth it, I could buy a helicopter with those kinda numbers. I'm going to give it one last try, I have to walk in with parts to get it going again just so I can go moose hunting, if it breaks during this hunt I'm done with it

Should have bought the extended warranty. I have not had a problem with mine, but if I do I won't be out much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    My buddy's CF MOTO (aka MF NOGO) broke a rear rim on that trail around mile 11 coming back. We had to take the rim off, drive all the way to Anchorage, where we fixed it, RedNeck style with a peice of metal and a tube. By the way there are no CF MOTO rims to be bought in Alaska. They don't quite fit. We only made it in 22 miles to 12 mile creek. Never seen so many people on a trail in my life.
    But your story is mich worse than mine. Good luck.
    This is why I swapped all my rims to steel ITP's. They are cheap and can be found anywhere, don't break like alloy and can be bent back to usable shape if needed. The fancy rims look nice but when your 50 miles back in the woods they are a liability.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    Just stated I was thinking about a Ranger 6x6 on another thread, maybe not.
    Don't be swayed against one. They are great machines. Look at your mission and decide if you need a 6x6. I run a 4x4 with no problems and carry very large loads. I have an 08 ranger and everyone gives me a hard time for not upgrading. I know the ride is rougher, it isn't as pretty but it has never let me down. I would rather spend a $1000 on a serious maintenance and get it tuned up then $15,000 on a new one. If I lost mine for some reason though, I would not hesitate to buy a new one. Do your research on the forums and find what others are doing to fix some of the issues. Like already mentioned, a extended warrenty will help put some ease on your mind. It won't help much deep in the woods but will once you get back to town.

I'm assuming you guys realize this thread is three years old....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I'm assuming you guys realize this thread is three years old....
    Nope! Haha but thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast